Took the plunge to synthetic early

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first oil change was at 1000 miles (break in with 5w-30 bulk Dino oil).
My next change was at 2500 miles, figuring to get rid of the last break -in residuals, that may be in the crank case.
Also I was getting increasingly nervous about running my engine on 5w-30 dino juice, as much as I like to rev it.

What to refill, was the question?

Well, I felt my 2 perennial favorites of oil for NA engines, Mobil1 0w-40 and german castrol 0w30 (runs thick at operating tempos for a 30 weight),
Might be tooo thick at operatings temps for this real new and tight engine.

usually I like thicker oils for the HT/HS, but I went with Mobil1 10w-30 which is about nine and a half centistokes at 100 degree C, if memory serves.

Also M1 is VII's free in the 10w-30,but not in the 0w-30 or 5w-30 versions.
Even tho winter is coming up , living in kentucky the 10w-30 will be plenty start-up capable and the 5w and 0w- will be unneccessary.

So now I am enjoying VII free, Mobil 1 10w-30, Yayy!..

As hard as this car was driven lately, I felt a change was neccessary, also it gives me piece of mind to have a group IV oil in my brand new VQ35.

I know your not supposed to switch to syn early says conventional wisdom, which is usually a good starting point.
For this reason I didnt put in syn on my first change.

But many other highly modern engines have M1 as factory fill.
So how harmful can an early syn switch be?

Amnyway i did it and feel good about it.

Fred..
fruit.gif

You did good!
grin.gif

Now see if you can run it 10,000 miles before you are compelled to change it.
dunno.gif

Now I read some comments on Maxima.org, about early switch to syn being bad.. and I'm scurred...
(Maxima has essentially same engine as my 350Z)

Someone comvince me again it was a good idea?

Fred..
blush.gif

What is it that syn oil could psosibly do that "bad".

Also there arent a whole lot of UOA's this is based on ( but some), what if teh folks who tend to switch early ( like me) are just real hard drivers.

Also there is an increase in slilicon levels mentioned on early switch.

Where on a VQ would thses comfrom if not from poor filtration?

We dont have any silicon in our Molybdenum coated cylinder walls?

But many performance oriented PPL use Cone filters....(I dont), these have often been accused of letting in extra dirt(=silicon)

Any comments?

Fred..
dunno.gif

Not to worry. The Maxima site has some hype and old wives tales just like everything on the Internet. You'll see elevated silicon and maybe more so with a syn because of the better detergency pak in the new engine, mostly from the assembly process.

Don't lose any sleep over it. High silicon is nothing more than sealant used in assembly, just like GM owner's freak about high copper from assembly.

I think you allowed adequate breakin time and M1 10W-30 will serve you well.
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MGBV8:
Unconvential wisdom supports your change - near bottom of page

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Thanks for taking lookign things up for me.
Alas all portions of that article make my break-in seem poor.

- I followed to the owners manual for a ligth break in.
- I switched early to syn, one migth say it says ok to switch within 1500 miles,, but thats for bike, most PPL agree you gotto multiply by 5 or more to make equivalent car miles.

Fred...
frown.gif

[ November 02, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

Ok i put on 240 miles from 2464 to 2700 miles.

Should i pour out the Mobil1 and put conventional back in?

Like a Chevron Supreme 10w-30.

Fred..
dunno.gif

PS: Sorry for all the typos in posts above.

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
Ok i put on 240 miles from 2464 to 2700 miles.

Should i pour out the Mobil1 and put conventional back in?

Most definitely not! There is no need to waste expensive oil, just leave it in there for the full interval.

Synthetic oil does not hinder the break in of a new engine whatsoever. Like Mechtech said, your engine is probably 99% broken in already anyhow. Don't lose any sleep over it, just enjoy that beautiful car!

Thanks Patman!

And all others that posted!
cheers.gif

Also if this helps; at 2464 miles (when I switched) I had multiple quarter mile runs on it) and a few street races (all post 1200 miles the "official" break-in preriod)

That helps to make my 2500 miles switch to syn , less "early" right?

Fred..
smile.gif

[ November 02, 2004, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

I still think that is a little early.

Instead of the ring cuttong off the peaks on the cylinder wall, what sometimes happens is the peaks of the imperfections are pushed into the valleys.

This can cause the cylinder wall to glaze and slow oil propagation along the cylinder wall needed for properly lubrication and cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back