Took The Plunge( 2014 Jeep Cherokee )

Status
Not open for further replies.
*** Please save the "it isn't a real Jeep", "the new Cherokee is ugly", etc... type comments. I like the vehicle and seeing as I paid for it that is what matters. I respect your right not to like the vehicle but I don't need to hear about it here. Thank you. ***

Despite my trepidations about a brand new 1st year model I decided to buy a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee. I sold the 2011 Patriot and signed papers on the new Cherokee yesterday afternoon. I just hope I have better luck with this 1st year model than the last time I took the risk. That was a 2005 Toyota Tacoma and it was such a nightmare I sold it after just 7 months. Fingers crossed on this one. At least this time the dealer is a good one vs. with the Toyota so that will help if problems arise.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get exactly what I wanted. I have to say the way dealers around here( 100+ mile radius )option out vehicles sucks! They either go bottom of the line with no options, have a certain $$$ option package they fall in love with and way over order as if everyone in the world wants it( like the Comfort & Convenience Group @ $1995 = NO THANKS! ), or completely go over the top and add everything. Nothing sensible and middle of the road or real world useful. They also seem to have color paranoia. If it isn't black, white, or silver( maybe throw maroon in there as a distant 4th ), they don't want it. The other thing that ticked me off is they would have 10 of the exact same vehicle all optioned the same way right down to color. Just nothing different.

I tried very hard to find a Latitude model optioned the way I wanted. I wanted the 8.4A Nav Radio, Tow Group, Cold Weather Group, and Alpine 9 speaker Premium Sound System. Nothing crazy or weird. Just useful and nice features. For colors I was ok with True Blue Pearl, Granite Crystal Metallic, or Cashmere. I really only wanted the regular Morocco( black )interior vs the other options( black & gray or brown ). I was going to stay with the standard 2.4L 4cyl and ADI 4WD system as the above options had me at the limit of what I would spend. I considered the 3.2L V6 but it was too $$$ with the other options.

After months of looking in person and checking updated inventory lists online it was a complete no go at any dealer in any color. I even considered a Limited model that comes standard with most of what I wanted but they were just too $$$ so I forgot that PDQ. I could get bits and pieces here or there but never everything and usually when it was close it was white or silver and I just was not interested. I found exactly ONE dealer that had what I wanted( black paint but otherwise all of it ). They are jerks though and I wouldn't buy there myself and the dealer I use won't have anything to do with them ether so I couldn't even have them go get it for me.

The Tow Group especially is almost impossible to find on a vehicle around here for some reason unless it is a Trailhawk model which I had no interest in. That really was disappointing as I really wanted factor Tow on this vehicle. I finally gave up and was ready to have my dealer order what I wanted when I got a promotion letter from them on a special President's Day offer and the next day I got a letter from my bank offering a great deal on financing. The two combined made for a deal I couldn't pass on. So, I studied the vehicles on my dealer's lot and settled for one as close as I could get and went for it.

The only real MUST have option was the 8.4A Nav radio as you just can't upgrade radios in these vehicles down the road like you used to be able to do. Maybe someday the aftermarket will have something but at this time factory is the only choice if you want it. I didn't like any of the Latitudes they had with the 8.4 radio and 2.4L. I ended up getting one with the 3.2L V6. The cost of the V6 offset what some of the other options would have cost and overall the vehicle was cheaper than if I ordered. I will just have to add the Tow package( well hitch, wiring, and oil cooler )and a remote start system down the road. I can upgrade the speakers to something better if I feel I need to later as well. They sound pretty good though so we will see. I am really going to miss the heated mirrors though from the Cold Weather Group. That is a huge loss for me.

In the end I am happy with the vehicle though. The V6 is really strong/responsive, quiet, and smooth. From what I have been reading the MPG for most has been very good. My Patriot was rated at 21/26 and the Cherokee is rated at 19/27 so I hope to see approx. the same overall mixed driving average while having 87 more HP and 68 more FTLBS than the 2.4L( even more than my Patriot had ). It should help me a lot when towing my boat. My Patriot did "ok" towing it but this will be much better.

Only had it since last night so not a lot of driving yet( about 60 miles )but I am loving it so far. Have to go back to the dealer in the AM to have the Nav feature activated. It is all paid for( Nav is an option on the 8.4A in the Latitude - you have to pay to turn it on )but they don't actually activate it until the papers are signed. I didn't have time last night to wait so I am going in this morning. I played with the hands free calling last night and man does that work sweet. Was super easy to pair my LG smartphone, voice recognition works very well, and best of all I can hear the other person crystal clear and they can here me the same. Really works great.

The ride is excellent. Very smooth and quiet. Steering is effortless. I worried a 9 spd trans would be jumping around through the gears all the time but it was hardly noticeable from 3rd gear on. 1-2 jumps a bit and 2-3 some as well but the rest are smooth and almost undetectable. The trans takes a bit to learn your driving style and then adjusts shifts to it so in time it should get better. If not there is a trans flash update that helps if needed. OEM tires are Firestone Destination LE2's so I am very happy with that. I actually can keep the OEM tires and not have to replace them right away because they are junk.

That is about it for now. I will add more as time goes on as far as Pro/Con. Big snow storm due to hit here tomorrow so I won't have to wait long to see how it does in bad weather. I will add a couple photos below. I grabbed them quick at the dealer. They aren't very good but I will get better ones, including ones of the interior and rear end( forgot to get a shot of that ), later and add them when I update the thread.

2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L V6 ZF 9spd
Active Drive I 4WD
Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat
Iceland( Black & Gray )cloth interior

Excellent, love the color. How well do the headlights do?

That's a lot more power too!

Good luck with it.

Congrats enjoy!

Glad Jeep came up with something reasonable for the vast majority of small SUV drivers not the 1-2% who actually go off road/rough stuff. The V6 is another nice option too.

Congrats. A nice choice IMO.

I imagine you'll be very happy with that 3.2 once it gets 10k on it or so. The mileage will be impressive for the power.

I also would be very pleased that it got some decent tires as standard. Usually you get the cheapest they could find!

Nice! The more I see them the more they grow on me. That is my favorite color they offer them in too. What I also like is they aren't DI. Drive it in good health! I think it is going to be another winner for Jeep.

Didn't like them at first but the more I see the more I like them. Congrats on the purchase! Going with the V6 was a smart play as the 4cyl just took a thrashing by CR and we already know the V6 has many well-earned fans.

Not to be a downer but most AWD cars with brand new tires are going to do wonderfully in the snow, while I have no doubts it will be good in the future you'll really get an idea how it is once the tires have ~20k on them.

That's a great looking Jeep you picked out. I have always loved the Cherokee and the new model is no different. Jeep has really been improving it's line up. The Patriot and the Wrangler are awesome vehicles too.

They are wildly popular around here. I see them everywhere. Hoping I don't jinx them, but my parents Focuscape has been good for a first model year! Their second year JK Wrangler was a pile of garbage.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Sweet car! Jeeps were made better by affiliation with Mercedes. My son strongly considered one, but went with BMW instead.

That's the worst era Jeep to ever buy - Mercedez Benz really destroyed Chrysler quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Excellent, love the color. How well do the headlights do?

That's a lot more power too!

Good luck with it.

Last night was the 1st time I have driven one in the dark and I was actually apprehensive. One of the complaints I have read is the lights are poor at night. They use newish bulb types for the headlamps and fogs that have no real aftermarket upgrades right now( just bulb replacement - I don't do HID ). Have to say though I thought they were pretty good. I want to drive in the dark a little more and also in rain and snow and fog to see but I think they are going to be ok.
thumbsup2.gif

If you look at the front shot photo below you will see 6 lights. The upper thin ones are the LED DRL's. They don't do diddley squat at night really( I checked with just them to see how bright they were = meh ). The middle ones are the actual headlamps( halogen projector )and of course the fog's are on the bottom.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Congrats. A nice choice IMO.

I imagine you'll be very happy with that 3.2 once it gets 10k on it or so. The mileage will be impressive for the power.

I also would be very pleased that it got some decent tires as standard. Usually you get the cheapest they could find!

Yeah, they even went with Destination AT's for the Trailhawk. No Goodyear Wrangler garbage anywhere on the new Cherokee. All models, both FWD/4WD, except for the Limited's, get real light truck/suv class Firestone Destination tires of some type. Either LE2's or the AT's on the TH. The Limited's get a brand new Continental tire model. It is a passenger car class touring tire in 18". Jury is still out on those.

The onboard computer was showing me at 21.5 MPG last night for the little driving I did( was mixed city and highway ). Was butt cold and the motor only had 20 miles on it when I started out so not bad. Well, "IF" it is even close to accurate. Chrysler onboard MPG software has never been overly accurate.

I want to see about 21-22 MPG for my average mixed driving and about 28+ all highway. If I see those #'s I will be more than happy. If the EPA ratings are accurate I should be able to as I drive pretty easy and generally can at least get what is advertised and usually do better( especially highway ). The RPM's on the highway @ 60 MPH are only about 1700 so I think it is possible I can see 30+ on a long trip. I will be testing that in May when I take my Dad to PA.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Didn't like them at first but the more I see the more I like them. Congrats on the purchase! Going with the V6 was a smart play as the 4cyl just took a thrashing by CR and we already know the V6 has many well-earned fans.

Not to be a downer but most AWD cars with brand new tires are going to do wonderfully in the snow, while I have no doubts it will be good in the future you'll really get an idea how it is once the tires have ~20k on them.

These are the exact tires, even the same size, as I ran on my Patriot for 2+ winters. I already know they are very good in the snow after the wear in some.

Last edited:
Congrats from a fellow Jeep owner. My wife and I signed up to win a new Cherokee over the holidays at the local mall. The one on display was really sweet. Even my bride liked it a lot, which is saying quite a bit. We are anxiously awaiting confirmation that we are indeed the winner's of the drawing. I will post pics as soon as we pick it up.

It's not a real Jeep.

...j/k

Seriously, congrats. I sat in one at the dealer and it was very nice inside. Not everybody needs it, but I'd take a Trailhawk and spank the unmaintained roads and mild trails.

IMO, the low range is impressive and real Jeepers should be open minded to the "tradition" of performance, not what it looks like. I hope you enjoy the heck out of it.

I couldn't agree more about the lack of dealer options. When my dad bought his 2013 Grand Cherokee he had only two requirements. He needed the 5.7L V8 for towing, and he couldn't have a sunroof since he was too tall, and his head hit the ceiling on sunroof equipped models. There was one vehicle 500 miles away that fit those requirements, which is the one he currently owns.

Two of the dealers we went to didn't even have a Hemi Grand Cherokee on the lot, they were all 3.6L V6 engines. The color combos were Black, White, Silver, and 2 red ones. They either had strip down Laredos or loaded Overland editions, nothing in between. I can't help but think this lack of package options hurts their sales. Sure people can get what they want by ordering, but that costs more and they are more likely to go with another competing brand.

Good luck with your new Jeep! I know the Destinations are great in the snow, and I have heard great things about that four wheel drive system. My dad's Grand has "snow" mode and it is unstoppable. He actually tried to get it to slide last storm in an open parking lot and it was very difficult to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back