Took the Jetta on a road trip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We took out 2014 Jetta 1.8T on our Christmas road trip. With the trunk loaded, and I mean FULLY loaded, plus 3 people and 2 dogs we ended up getting 36.6 MPG driving 80+. Very happy with the MPG numbers. It was below freezing at times during the trip, and I noticed the drivers door lock would not lock (assuming it was frozen at these temps). I had brought up the squealing actuator to the dealer twice in years past, yet they did nothing. It is out of warranty now so I supposed I will be the squeaky wheel and bring up the fact that I mentioned the noise in previous visits.

Anyway, I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas with family.

Impressive! I always hear that the gasser Jetta's don't get great mileage but this speaks otherwise. My TDI gets 40-44.

A customer of mine with 160k on a 2014 1.8 drives back and forth to Canada, she recently moved to NJ, her long term AVERAGE displayed in the dash is 38!

Not sure what freezing is to you since FL warps perception. In the the northeast Freezing is really below 0F and then things start to act quirky in cars like slow displays and oddball noises.

Our daily temps start at 20F and go to 40F in winter and everything should work in vehicle.

36MPG great especially with a 6 speed auto. The best we managed on a long trip in a 2018 Tiguan with 8 speed and VW's detuned version of 2.0L is 33MPG loaded similarly. Wind seems to be the biggest factor for us in MPG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Was it documented on service request about the squeak ?

Yeah, good gas mileage.

Yes it has been documented from a previous service visit while the car was still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. I called the dealer and then corporate this morning. Unfortunately neither are willing to help with the repair until I pay for the diagnostics fee. That wont do me any good though since it only malfunctions below 32 degrees and it's currently 71 here in Florida.

Originally Posted by Audios
A customer of mine with 160k on a 2014 1.8 drives back and forth to Canada, she recently moved to NJ, her long term AVERAGE displayed in the dash is 38!

Nice! These seem to be very well balanced engines. Good power and good mpg!

Can you represent yourself & file a suit in small claims court ?

Send a letter to the company CEO . If that fails , start sending reports to your local news media .

Best wishes .

Happy New Year
Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted by Malo83
Fully loaded, 3 people and 2 dogs driving 80+, Scary!

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Malo83
Fully loaded, 3 people and 2 dogs driving 80+, Scary!

crackmeup2.gif

Indeed.............. 2 x Chihuahuas that needed to get to wherever the [censored] he was going before they puked allover everything and everybody.............. would have gone faster myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back