Took a sniff of the gold stuff; Man, it smells caustic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It smells like a combination of egg farts and toxic waste. Not pleasing at all, like the green stuff. However, it does meet the very stringent specs that so impressive for a 0W-30. Correct me if I'm wrong but for an oil to meet BMW LL-01 and 229.3 it needs to be primarily a grp IV or V base? Chances are, and I know nothing compared to you guys but, chances are it is the SLXII that pscholte thinks it is. How else could it meet the highest standards that it does?

[ May 21, 2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: V8Blitz ]

It could very well be an excellent oil, with a different formulation. But the KEY to GC was that advanced PAO.

frown.gif
....that stinks (pun intended). When I put in the Green for the first time last week, I HAD to take a whiff, and OMG...it smelled GOOD.
lol.gif
grin.gif

Audi Junkie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Castrol STX II has a Ht/Hs of Hs of 3.6, then they can't be the same oil. What am I missing?

There's a difference between Castrol SLX LongLife II (low HTHS) and Castrol SLX Longtec (3.6 HTHS).

You're confusing the names. There are a few different varieties of SLX.

quote:

Originally posted by PaJohn:
Audi Junkie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Castrol STX II has a Ht/Hs of Hs of 3.6, then they can't be the same oil. What am I missing?

Along with the smelly comments, V8Blitz is spreading wrong information. The new GC is most likely SLX LongTec, not SLX II. Those are two different oils.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
It could very well be an excellent oil, with a different formulation. But the KEY to GC was that advanced PAO.

Actually, I think what Molakule said was the PAO used was just average PAO. The really unique base fluid used is the advanced esters that are derived from PAO.

"The really unique base fluid used is the advanced esters that are derived from PAO."

Right, that is a more precise answer.
smile.gif

I just bought some 04 GC, and mistakingly got 6qts of o5 by mistake. Batch # 0507 to be exact, it is a different color and smell than the 04. 05 smells, well not as pleasent but hey gear oil flat out stinks but it does the job. In a rear diff of course.

quote:

Originally posted by clg305:
I just bought some 04 GC, and mistakingly got 6qts of o5 by mistake. Batch # 0507 to be exact, it is a different color and smell than the 04. 05 smells, well not as pleasent but hey gear oil flat out stinks but it does the job. In a rear diff of course.

So you can absolutely, positively, with your right hand firmly on the ACEA test protocols, vouch that they are different colors? This IS important you know.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Stop sniffing the oil. Too many board members are getting high.

Whoa SSDude...you are like being so totally directive...whoa, like your vibes are sawtoothed...chill bro...
wink.gif
scuse me I need to sit down...I'm feeling a little light headed...whoa dude...I could have sworn I only opened one bottle but there seem to be two sitting there...whoa dude

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:

quote:

Originally posted by PaJohn:
Audi Junkie

Along with the smelly comments, V8Blitz is spreading wrong information. The new GC is most likely SLX LongTec, not SLX II. Those are two different oils.

First off, I am not spreading "wrong information". I simply got the two Castrols mixed up. It was presented to me, however, the SLXII, as an example of the GC when I was researching whether it was a good oil for my car. Man, you guys get testy fast around here. Sorry for making a mistake.
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

So you can absolutely, positively, with your right hand firmly on the ACEA test protocols, vouch that they are different colors? This IS important you know.
cheers.gif

I just bought a bottle of the GC 0504 for my GF's VW as a top up and (this is weird), it had a green tinge in the bottle and didn't smell foul like some other 05 batches. The weird part is that another 0504 DID have the amber color and foul stench of death.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by V8Blitz:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

cheers.gif

I just bought a bottle of the GC 0504 for my GF's VW as a top up and (this is weird), it had a green tinge in the bottle and didn't smell foul like some other 05 batches. The weird part is that another 0504 DID have the amber color and foul stench of death.
dunno.gif

v8...

The only thing I can figure is that they are bottling whatever version they have on hand, but legally, whichever they use, it HAS to meet or exceed the specs on the bottle. So we are safe in using either.

I just went to the Castro USA site and checked the oil recommended for my 2003 BMW 330Ci.
The USA site recommended Syntec 5-w40 that is BMW LL-98 rated.

I then went to the Castrol UK site and checked for the same 2003 BMW 330Ci. It recommended SLX 0w-30 that is BMW LL01 rated. The notes indicated LL-98 could only be used in the M54 engines up to August 2001 production.

The rating for the SLX 0w-30 are:
SAE 0W-30 ACEA A3/B3/B4 API SL/CF
Mercedez-Benz MB 229.3
Volksagen VW 502.00, VW 505.00 & VW 503.01
Approved as BMW Longlife-01 Oil

Those meet almost exactly the GC 0w-30 specs except for the MB 229.1 on the GC.

Could CG be the same as SLX 0w-30?

Oh shanneba, my good friend, you haven't been reading ALL the mail
grin.gif
. That is precisely what I have been saying for a LONG time...that Green GC IS SLX and that Gold GC is likely SLX LongTec (MB229.5).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back