Took a sniff of the gold stuff; Man, it smells caustic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by V8Blitz:
It smells like a combination of egg farts and toxic waste. Not pleasing at all, like the green stuff. However, it does meet the very stringent specs that so impressive for a 0W-30. Correct me if I'm wrong but for an oil to meet BMW LL-01 and 229.3 it needs to be primarily a grp IV or V base? Chances are, and I know nothing compared to you guys but, chances are it is the SLXII that pscholte thinks it is. How else could it meet the highest standards that it does?

You guys beat me to the punch...my prediction is that it is SLX LongTec not SLX II...Castrol would be inviting major problems if they substituted a very special form of SLX for the more universal variety without warning people...hey it is a different application...but I will tell you it does smell unpleasant. What we MUST determine is the 0504 batch that one of our members reported having (he doublecheckec the batch number). He reported it had a green tinge to it and smelled sweet (I assure you these are NOT the characteristics of batch 0502). So we need to find out what's going on...as much, that is, as we can find out at our level.
rolleyes.gif

I just got to thinking...the smell does prove one thing that this version of SLX has a special PAO in it (Pretty Awful Odor.
grin.gif

PS The Elves are nonplussed (+++++
grin.gif
). They said that when the formula and test batch left the Black Forest, it smelled as sweet as the forest around Neuschwanstein after a summer rain.
dunno.gif

quote:

Man, you guys get testy fast around here. Sorry for making a mistake.
pat.gif

Sorry for the reprimend. Actually, there are so many SLX varieties that even we here in Europe have a hard time making sense out of all this.
smile.gif

Well, for those that really need to have this oil, I guess you must have alot of patience. I don't. I'd just chose another brand...Amsoil, Redline Mobil 1 etc...makes life a little easier.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Well, for those that really need to have this oil, I guess you must have alot of patience. I don't. I'd just chose another brand...Amsoil, Redline Mobil 1 etc...makes life a little easier.

Buster,

Sorry I'm hooked on Euro Oil...I'm even flirting with the other product of the Elves, you know the one that carries their name.
wink.gif

LongTec barely smells at all. Just smells like oil - I dunno, the sense of smell is not my forte I guess. But I can't say that it smells 'bad'. And having never smelled the original SLX, I can't compare.

I have 6 qts. of the 0504 batch which I'll use for winter in a 2002 Outback, 2.5 liter engine, beginning about December 1. I opened a quart, and it was primarily amber with a green tinge perceptible at the top.

I, too, did the sniff test. Luckily, it had a very weak, slightly sweet smell of lubricant to it -- hardly the aroma described as a combination of egg farts and toxic waste. FWIW.

Bob A.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:

quote:

Man, you guys get testy fast around here. Sorry for making a mistake.
pat.gif

Sorry for the reprimend. Actually, there are so many SLX varieties that even we here in Europe have a hard time making sense out of all this.
smile.gif

QP,

But you must address the critical issue at hand...what does LongTec smell like
confused.gif
(yes I'm serious [but in a friendly way]
grin.gif
). I went back and re-sniffed (that is a scientific term) the suspected LongTec and it is not as nasty as I first thought. In fact I kind of like it...just a second...I'll be back...
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by clg305:
I just bought some 04 GC, and mistakingly got 6qts of o5 by mistake. Batch # 0507 to be exact, it is a different color and smell than the 04. 05 smells, well not as pleasent but hey gear oil flat out stinks but it does the job. In a rear diff of course.

So you can absolutely, positively, with your right hand firmly on the ACEA test protocols, vouch that they are different colors? This IS important you know.
cheers.gif

Well the 05 stuff I got was def. different in color and smell than the 04 I would swear to that. However I cannot vouch for that egg **** smell that was mentioned before LOL. I smells the same only without the sweet smell of the 04 if that makes any sense. I guess it smells like motor oil to me.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

I just bought some 04 GC, and mistakingly got 6qts of o5 by mistake. Batch # 0507 to be exact, it is a different color and smell than the 04. 05 smells, well not as pleasent but hey gear oil flat out stinks but it does the job. In a rear diff of course.

So you can absolutely, positively, with your right hand firmly on the ACEA test protocols, vouch that they are different colors? This IS important you know.
cheers.gif

Well the 05 stuff I got was def. different in color and smell than the 04 I would swear to that. However I cannot vouch for that egg **** smell that was mentioned before LOL. I smells the same only without the sweet smell of the 04 if that makes any sense. I guess it smells like motor oil to me.

Well all I can say as we have migrated from 0501 through 0507 is
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

"I'm even flirting with the other product of the Elves"

The Elf line looks top notch.

quote:

LongTec barely smells at all. Just smells like oil - I dunno, the sense of smell is not my forte I guess. But I can't say that it smells 'bad'. And having never smelled the original SLX, I can't compare.

I'm still thinking the Gold is LongTec.

quote:

LongTec barely smells at all. Just smells like oil - I dunno . . .

I think Quattro Pete's description accurately portrays what I encountered with my "sniff test" of the M0504 quarts I bought at a local Auto Zone store. The aroma is quite faint. This would tend to support the notion that the "Gold" is LongTec -- that is, if LongTec has little aroma to it.

I have no experience with the stinky Gold.

The AZ is very new to our community, and I bought the GC there about 3-4 weeks ago.

Sounds like GC is 3 different oils and when someone comments on the Gold, whether voa, uoa or physical characteristics, we can't be sure what they're talking about. This is probably Castrol's version of supply and demand and I'm sure they're all good oils but even if it gets the full chemistry test, we still won't be sure that the next bottle we buy will be that oil.

FWIW - In adding some SM rated castrol syntec blend to the crankcase, it too had a rather pugnent odor. I haven't come across any of the gold GC to compare however.

Perhaps it has something to do with shared additive chemistries.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back