Too soon to buy a project car for my daughter?

Daughter will be 14 this year. Maybe it's just me getting the itch to work on something but is 2 years in advance too soon? It would cost almost nothing to insure/inspect/register and could come in handy if we ever need a car while ours is in the shop. Looking at something with a Honda K24 engine or similar. I do have the space to park it however not in a garage. Maybe not a great idea being in PA?

Does she care? I mean, if she has zero interest in cars or driving, she might not see it as... well, anything. Might as well buy it for yourself.

Now if she's super excited about driving, and about wrenching, then I'd totally go for it! Don't know where you live but I've always lived where it was possible to hit up the backroads with an inexperienced driver.

Does she care? I mean, if she has zero interest in cars or driving, she might not see it as... well, anything. Might as well buy it for yourself.

Now if she's super excited about driving, and about wrenching, then I'd totally go for it! Don't know where you live but I've always lived where it was possible to hit up the backroads with an inexperienced driver.
She may be. The thing is, we have the Van (05 Odyssey) which has a weak power steering pump at low speeds (common issue) and is big and cumbersome for a first time driver and my car (Mazda 3) which is a manual which she may balk at.

Looking at something with a Honda K24 engine or similar.
The K24s, don’t they burn oil? I would buy something that isn’t known as an oil burner because females in my family will never ever check oil, and knowing that, an engine could be ruined if it isn’t topped off. I personally would buy something that isn’t an oil burner or doesn’t really need much maintenance.

She may be. The thing is, we have the Van (05 Odyssey) which has a weak power steering pump at low speeds (common issue) and is big and cumbersome for a first time driver and my car (Mazda 3) which is a manual which she may balk at.
I'd teach her to drive manual now, its a good skill to have and a confidence booster.

I'd teach her to drive manual now, its a good skill to have and a confidence booster.
That's what I did with my daughter, bought her a Saturn ION with a stick, took her out to the country and let her have at it with my guidance, she picked it up right away, she drove home. ;)

Man, if you were closer, I'd sell you my wife's 07 Accord with the K24. Pretty much needs nothing.

But 2 yrs is a long time unless it is a major fixer-upper and you want to spread out your repairs over time.

It sounds like you’re wanting another project, but you’re using your daughter to justify it. I wouldn’t do it. These situations rarely turn out favorable.

Is good to have an extra car... and 2 years would allow you to run it for some time to make sure all is right, and to take care of all needed and forgotten maintenance

Nothing worse than a car breaking down(alternator failure), another stuck at dealership(awaiting recall repair), ..... having a spare car is a good thing. But, never rule out a rental!

Is good to have an extra car... and 2 years would allow you to run it for some time to make sure all is right, and to take care of all needed and forgotten maintenance
Right now, the Camry or Accord in my household could be viewed as "extra cars." They both cost me about $1500/yr in insurance and reg fees. It is quite an expensive privilege to pay for.

Get a cheap NB Miata. Easy to wrench on. Being a convertible may peak her interest. Definitely teach her to drive a manual. I taught all three of my daughters and they really seemed to appreciate it when they were older.

We have 8 cars now. 9 if you count dads truck. I’ve got plenty of projects I’ve had a project car since I was 12 but I could never get money to work on it so it’s still sitting and that’s my Jeep since the engine went bad. So if you are going to fund it if she fixes it when needed I say go for it. Extra cars are always nice but here it’s expensive as heck for insurance and tags and everything. So if that isn’t too much I say go for it. Plus as others have mentioned extra cars are important. Just don’t get carried away like I have and get too many projects going on.

Get a car she likes not one you like or one that is inexpensive or will be interesting to work on.

Girls don't care that the car has a Hurst metal "T" handle shifter. You might.

My dad made sure my siblings and I first cars were sticks on purpose. If your daughter has a boyfriend that has a Civic SI as an example, all Si's are sticks. If her BF decides to drink, your daughter can drive his car. Never say never.

Right now, the Camry or Accord in my household could be viewed as "extra cars." They both cost me about $1500/yr in insurance and reg fees. It is quite an expensive privilege to pay for.
Registration would be $35/year and insurance would be a couple hundred bucks per year. I can live with $235 a year in fees.
Save money, and get her something she (not you) really wants: A new phone.
She has a relatively new smart phone.
The best time to buy a used car is when you don't need one. Nothing wrong with starting the look now.
Exactly, I have plenty of time to weed out the bad deals vs the good ones.
I am considering this.

Back