Too Slow !!??

I think the cops around my area gave up on any traffic tickets..people doing 70-80 in a 45 mph zone ..let alone to slow

My wife and I were traveling on a road we never used before. I have a digital dash
so I knew I was going 40 as the sign said. I got pulled over by a cop and
he tells me I was going too slow *** !!!!????
That would be the case if the speed limit were 65+ mph. Maybe you should have asked him, *** ??

some states list a certain number of vehicles that constitutes 'blockage' or impediment to traffic.
my state I believe the magic number is ten. At that point, I suppose you are leading a strange parade & obligated to pull off.
Have no idea what vehicle count the eastern states consider blockage of traffic. ??

I'd bet he didn't pull you over to tell you to speed up because you were driving too slow. He probably pulled you over because people under the influence of...whatever... drive slower as to not draw attention to themselves or risk being pulled over for speeding and he was fishing for a DUI. Two friends who are cops told me they look for weaving, driving without their lights on, unable to modulate their speed and/or driving under speed limit.

My wife and I were traveling on a road we never used before. I have a digital dash
Plenty of roads in the southwest have minimum speed limits of 45 MPH. Did you possibly mistake a "MINIMUM SPEED LIMIT _____" sign for a regular speed limit sign? They do look sort of similar.

What road in particular?

I'd bet he didn't pull you over to tell you to speed up because you were driving too slow. He probably pulled you over because people under the influence of...whatever... drive slower as to not draw attention to themselves or risk being pulled over for speeding and he was fishing for a DUI. Two friends who are cops told me they look for weaving, driving without their lights on, unable to modulate their speed and/or driving under speed limit.
This would be my guess as well.

yes, how can he meet his quota if everyone drives the limit?
Our town loves “radar revenue” … but, I know all the bushes they hide in.
However, since they use several of the same spots it must be distracted or new “customers” keeping those spots warm hours per day …

One day back in the ‘90s I was taking my son to daycare in my old Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. The daycare was at the end of a winding-and entertaining-rural two lane. That day I immediately encountered an old Duster(!) driven by an old man in hat. He was barely doing 35 mph and slowing to half that speed in the corners. I passed him at the first straight stretch. I soon arrived at the daycare and walked my son inside. As I was getting back in my car Paw Paw puttered by in the Duster. I pulled out and passed him again as I headed to work.

Last edited:
One day back in the ‘90s I was taking my son to daycare in my old Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. The day care was at the end of a winding-and entertaining-rural two lane. That day I immediately encountered an old Duster(!) driven by an old man in hat. He was barely doing 35 mph and slowing to half that speed in the corners. I passed him at the first straight stretch. I soon arrived at the daycare and walked my son inside. As I was getting back in my car Paw Paw puttered by in the Duster. I pulled out and passed him again as I headed to work.

That happens alot around here. I drive a long stretch of rural road and the amount of Sunday drivers on that road recently is astounding. Most throw their hands up when I pass them. Dude, you're doing 30 in a 35, or 35 in a 45, get off the road! I should kept the GTI if I woulda known I needed more passing power... Everybody is 10-15mph over on that road. I did get popped by Maryland State Police one day on that road; ironically in the slowest thing I had ever owned, my 4 cylinder S10...

Was there a big gap in front of you and 20 cars stacked up behind?
If the traffic is decent, always 5 over posted MINIMUM.
Roads are old and overburdened.
People with places to go in a reasonable time can't get anywhere with dawdlers "clogging the arteries"

"Digital" doesn't mean accurate - but it may mean easier to read without glasses :)

Some states can ticket you for holding up traffic if you're in the "fast lane" of a multilane hwy. Or, like someone else said, they were fishing for a dui

Hah...Sounds like my 90 year old mother in law!

A friend of mine is a KY State Trooper; he told me that a lot of the phoned in reports of impaired drivers turn out to be elderly people driving slow and holding up other traffic.

My wife works a lot with the State Patrol and she told me they wont even look at you unless you're going 5 over so she always sets the cruise for 4 over, me I set it at 3 over just to be sure. She also says that as long as your aren't driving crazy if you have your seat belt on the better chance of getting a warning.

Back