Too much trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
We were camping up in NH last week for vacation. Can't tell you how many horrible tow set ups I saw.

Our neighbor left during the week. He had approx. a 26-28 ft dual axle camper being pulled by a Nissan Frontier.

The truck sagged really bad. His safety chains touched the ground over the dips in the dirt road and his trailer tires were wicked low. I stopped to let him know about the tires and offered my Viair compressor. He said no thanks that they're "good enough". Just glad I wasn't on the road when he was.

In my small town there are two guys with (almost identical) massive offshore boats … one has 3 Yam F350 motors and pulled behind F350 PSD. One has three Merc Verado 350 HP motors and pulled behind 3500 Duramax …
Despite so much weight on the rear … both trucks tow headlights in the sky … (3 axle trailers)
It is strange to see that much money (and stunning boats) … and it looks so wrong …
(We are minimum 60-70 miles from where you can launch something that big) …
PS: Based on an old buddy who stored one in a marina down south … ?
I’d say 500-600 gallons of gasoline onboard …

They're doing something wrong. The only time my headlights have gotten pushed up is when towing flybridge or sedan bridge heavy cruisers above 33 feet. I have single rear wheel trucks.

My guess is it is partly the fact that newer HD trucks have some seriously wussified rear springs to make them ride better, and partly due to some of the "shorter" trailer designs out there that move the weight too far up the tongue in order to make a more manageable tow.

Towing hundreds of gallons of fuel is many times a given, unless someone is intentionally or unintentionally taking a long enough trip to empty their tanks after filling them. Keeping the tanks full is a lot better for the boat. Take a huge aluminum or fiberglass tank with air space and cycle it through the heat of the day and the cool of the night, and the air gap becomes a breeding ground for condensation, and later water-in-fuel contamination.

For those headlights-in-the-sky situations, I have found Hellwig 2800 lb. bags to be a godsend. Levels everything right out, and makes the tow more stable.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
We were camping up in NH last week for vacation. Can't tell you how many horrible tow set ups I saw.

Our neighbor left during the week. He had approx. a 26-28 ft dual axle camper being pulled by a Nissan Frontier.

The truck sagged really bad. His safety chains touched the ground over the dips in the dirt road and his trailer tires were wicked low. I stopped to let him know about the tires and offered my Viair compressor. He said no thanks that they're "good enough". Just glad I wasn't on the road when he was.

In my small town there are two guys with (almost identical) massive offshore boats … one has 3 Yam F350 motors and pulled behind F350 PSD. One has three Merc Verado 350 HP motors and pulled behind 3500 Duramax …
Despite so much weight on the rear … both trucks tow headlights in the sky … (3 axle trailers)
It is strange to see that much money (and stunning boats) … and it looks so wrong …
(We are minimum 60-70 miles from where you can launch something that big) …
PS: Based on an old buddy who stored one in a marina down south … ?
I’d say 500-600 gallons of gasoline onboard …

They're doing something wrong. The only time my headlights have gotten pushed up is when towing flybridge or sedan bridge heavy cruisers above 33 feet. I have single rear wheel trucks.

My guess is it is partly the fact that newer HD trucks have some seriously wussified rear springs to make them ride better, and partly due to some of the "shorter" trailer designs out there that move the weight too far up the tongue in order to make a more manageable tow.

Towing hundreds of gallons of fuel is many times a given, unless someone is intentionally or unintentionally taking a long enough trip to empty their tanks after filling them. Keeping the tanks full is a lot better for the boat. Take a huge aluminum or fiberglass tank with air space and cycle it through the heat of the day and the cool of the night, and the air gap becomes a breeding ground for condensation, and later water-in-fuel contamination.

For those headlights-in-the-sky situations, I have found Hellwig 2800 lb. bags to be a godsend. Levels everything right out, and makes the tow more stable.

These are King Ranch/Denali type trucks … and my guess they are 39’ Yellowfins … look like this:

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Saw a lot of questionable setups on my road trip where the truck had the power to haul the trailer but only marginal stability with the rear of the truck visibly unloading as the weight shifted.

I have the opposite problem with my F-350. It's stable towing 10,000 pounds but doesn't really have the power to do it.

So many factors to be considered. I know a lot of people driving around me don't pull large trailers so they will cut you off and think nothing of it.

My current trailer is 35 feet overall with a gross weight of 7500lbs. I don't have any problems but I have a 3/4 ton truck and a really nice hitch set up with dual sway control.

That does look like a big trailer for a half ton, but I can't say for sure.

Started out with this.

Moved to this

and the current setup of 6 years and 30,000 miles.

Too much trailer, too little of a truck.

1/2 ton Rams these days have coil springs in the rear, I always see them with even small trailers and they're bottomed out. Or hauling stuff in the bed that isn't all that heavy, it's squatted bad.

It looks like the trailer was at an angle in this pic. If you get in an L shape 45 degree angle or a little less and step on the gas the trailer will flip right over. I assume this is what happened in this pic.

I have seen the 2nd trailer of a double trailer 18 wheeler do this in a parking lot just turning around at less than 10mph.

Especially if it's a late model Ram 1500 with the 3.21 gears like most of them seem to be. Doesn't matter if a Hemi or Pentastar, all they are spec'd to tow is ~4200lbs.

The biggest issue with towing (especially half-ton trucks) is paying attention to maximum towing capability that is stated in the owners manual-and NOT paying attention to the PAYLOAD CAPACITY that is on the little yellow and white sticker inside the driver's door jam.

Most half-ton trucks will hit MAX PAYLOAD BEFORE MAX TOWING NUMBERS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
The biggest issue with towing (especially half-ton trucks) is paying attention to maximum towing capability that is stated in the owners manual-and NOT paying attention to the PAYLOAD CAPACITY that is on the little yellow and white sticker inside the driver's door jam.

Most half-ton trucks will hit MAX PAYLOAD BEFORE MAX TOWING NUMBERS.

That is a big one. My 02 3/4 ton is 6200lbs with a full tank of gas. My trailer is 6240 dry on the scales.

So gross weight for the truck can be 9200lbs. That leaves 3000 lbs for payload. Figure 500 for everyone in the truck, bikes, wood, propane and misc. items I bet I am at 1500 to 1700 lbs in the truck which leaves 1300 to 1500 lbs. of payload. Hitch weight is about 800. So that gives you an idea of how fast you can eat up payload. Towing for the truck is rated at 10,200lbs. (lots of guys tow more) My trailer on the scales for 5 days of camping is 7300lbs. Trailer can be 7500 max.

Wheel base often gets overlooked too.

As a general rule of thumb, the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length.

For my 167 inch wheel base truck and my 32 foot trailer I am right where I should be.

The only decent tow rigs have sway bars, longer wheelbase and 3/4 ton plus. Also properly setup trailer takes and an over cautious driver.

Never had an issue using parents 3/4 ton Suburban growing up into college.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The only decent tow rigs have sway bars, longer wheelbase and 3/4 ton plus. Also properly setup trailer takes and an over cautious driver.

Never had an issue using parents 3/4 ton Suburban growing up into college.

There are plenty of Ultra Light trailers that come in at 29 feet and about 4,5000 pounds (dry). They are fiberglass over aluminium studs.

These are ideal for half-tons. You don't need a 3/4 ton rig to tow many trailers that are light-yet very nice.

Picking the right trailer-and as you mentioned-a proper set up is the key.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back