Too much trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got stuck yesterday in the traffic snarl that this made. Link Is it me or does this look like too much trailer for too little truck?

Yup. Too long Even if it’s within weight ratings. We bought a new travel trailer on Saturday. Tip to tail it is 29feet long and has a 7500lb gvwr . Weight is 5500lbs dry. My 2016 f150 has a tow rating of 11400lbs which allows for a giant trailer. The problem is that the truck weight is only 5300lbs and carrying capacity is 1804lbs.. A trailer as long as the one in the picture has a huge sail effect from passing trucks or side winds.

Have to admit the trailers are getting really big theses days and certainly a truck looks small compared to them. The biggest thing is to remember to swing wide. The worst part is with the avaiable Turb diesels, people pull them way too fast.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Yup. Too long Even if it’s within weight ratings. We bought a new travel trailer on Saturday. Tip to tail it is 29feet long and has a 7500lb gvwr . Weight is 5500lbs dry. My 2016 f150 has a tow rating of 11400lbs which allows for a giant trailer. The problem is that the truck weight is only 5300lbs and carrying capacity is 1804lbs.. A trailer as long as the one in the picture has a huge sail effect from passing trucks or side winds.

That trailer looks like what we once called a “park trailer” … we used them for office space on construction sites and were delivered by a 3500 dually …
They don’t build them from lighter materials nor do they build them aerodynamic like proper RV sold trailers …

We were camping up in NH last week for vacation. Can't tell you how many horrible tow set ups I saw.

Our neighbor left during the week. He had approx. a 26-28 ft dual axle camper being pulled by a Nissan Frontier.

The truck sagged really bad. His safety chains touched the ground over the dips in the dirt road and his trailer tires were wicked low. I stopped to let him know about the tires and offered my Viair compressor. He said no thanks that they're "good enough". Just glad I wasn't on the road when he was.

I've noticed this trend too. It worries me. Modern campers are getting huge and heavy. I've seen quite a few 1/2 ton trucks pulling 5th wheel campers. A big tall trailer in the wind vs a light 1/2 ton truck with single rear wheels could go interesting.

It also seem that with a lot of these trailers, ALL of the storage is behind the rear wheel. Doesn't help with tongue weight and it's even more of a problem when you have a very light truck.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
We were camping up in NH last week for vacation. Can't tell you how many horrible tow set ups I saw.

Our neighbor left during the week. He had approx. a 26-28 ft dual axle camper being pulled by a Nissan Frontier.

The truck sagged really bad. His safety chains touched the ground over the dips in the dirt road and his trailer tires were wicked low. I stopped to let him know about the tires and offered my Viair compressor. He said no thanks that they're "good enough". Just glad I wasn't on the road when he was.

In my small town there are two guys with (almost identical) massive offshore boats … one has 3 Yam F350 motors and pulled behind F350 PSD. One has three Merc Verado 350 HP motors and pulled behind 3500 Duramax …
Despite so much weight on the rear … both trucks tow headlights in the sky … (3 axle trailers)
It is strange to see that much money (and stunning boats) … and it looks so wrong …
(We are minimum 60-70 miles from where you can launch something that big) …
PS: Based on an old buddy who stored one in a marina down south … ?
I’d say 500-600 gallons of gasoline onboard …

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Would they willingly tow with that much gas? I know marina gas is expensive, thus at that level there is an incentive to not buy there, but that'd be a lot of weight. Would it be "legal" to move that much gasoline, or is the boat designed with that in mind? [I'm thinking tanker laws, that somehow what is required for a boat isn't the same as for a land vehicle, thus some legal bit that would have to be observed.]

Originally Posted By: tcp71

This is the problem. Newer 1/2 ton trucks have much bigger towing capacities, and many of their owners have never towed that much weight. The first trailer they have ever towed ends up being a giant 10,000 lb sail. I wouldn't want to tow that much without a 5th wheel. Makes a huge difference over bumper pull.

The max I've towed was a 12,000 lb trailer (5th wheel) with newer super duty diesel. Truck had plenty of power and brakes for the job, but 12,000 lbs is 12,000 lbs, and you have to be extremely careful and mindful of your surroundings and traffic conditions. I see people with giant campers being pulled by half ton trucks doing 85 mph in the fast lane.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I stopped to let him know about the tires and offered my Viair compressor. He said no thanks that they're "good enough". Just glad I wasn't on the road when he was.

Good enough = don't tell me what to do when it is my time to LARP as a rugged trailer towing man.

I think the tow ratings are so high so you can tow a dump trailer full of concrete or something small and dense. Not a giant travel trailer, toy hauler or massive boat.

Could be a million and 1 things that did it. Could also be too much trailer for the truck - the casual glance from the road tells little about what happened. The camper is being pulled by one of the least capable 1/2 tons so that could have contributed as well.

We also don't know what happened there - did a tire pop, did he fall asleep at the wheel, get blown by a semi and lost it, hit a pothole, what? I've seen Youtube videos where it seems to be a clear windless day and sway started and the trailer goes sideways. And that's with a 3/4-1 ton truck.

Hitch choice has a lot to do with how well it tows. If you're towing heavy with any truck you need a good setup. Our trailer is 35' bumper to hitch and tow it fine with an 10-14klb Equalizer hitch and an F150 Ecoboost. You do know it's back there but it's been a quite safe combination as long as you stay within reasonable limits. I went from 0 towing experience in 2015 to putting almost 9000 miles on this combination. My wife's even driven it a bunch of times.

What I do is not exceed the speed limit and take my time. I'm on vacation so in no hurry and we get there when we get there.

So I guess the answer is - given the right setup (truck and trailer) there's no reason that can't be pulled safely.

Last edited:
That area has decent (but fast) roads. Do not recall any potholes in that area, nice and flat. That spot is on a slight curve but if it was sway then they likely started a ways back, and that's straight.

Was in front of the toll, perhaps traffic slowed quickly? Someone cut him off and that did him in?

Who knows.

Originally Posted By: supton
That area has decent (but fast) roads. Do not recall any potholes in that area, nice and flat. That spot is on a slight curve but if it was sway then they likely started a ways back, and that's straight.

Was in front of the toll, perhaps traffic slowed quickly? Someone cut him off and that did him in?

Who knows.

Could be - if the brake controller is not setup correctly that could make sense. Little trailer brakes in a panic situation could have it pushing on the truck too much and I could see that throwing the balance off. You have to adjust the controller AND the trailer brakes relatively often. I'd imagine few actually adjust the trailer brakes and few have self adjusting brakes. Lippert, who makes our trailer's chassis says every 3000 miles. I've done ours about that often and can feel quite a difference.

Last edited:
Could be too little truck, but most likely the cause was too little talent

- either in the setup with proper tongue weight, brake controller bias, or in driving and maneuvering.

UD

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Would they willingly tow with that much gas? I know marina gas is expensive, thus at that level there is an incentive to not buy there, but that'd be a lot of weight. Would it be "legal" to move that much gasoline, or is the boat designed with that in mind? [I'm thinking tanker laws, that somehow what is required for a boat isn't the same as for a land vehicle, thus some legal bit that would have to be observed.]

I wonder how much it is considered … I can pull in to a popular convience store and get a breakfast taco/coffee etc … these guys were already pumping gas and hauling large ice bags … I buy my stuff … sit in truck and eat … and when I leave they are still pumping gas … might be done with the ice …

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Looks like the driver had too little brains and too little skill.

"A man's got to know his limitations!" - "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Saw an incident the other day where a standard size but lifted pickup pulling a large camper hit the hump in the middle of an intersection and either the trailer dropped off the hitch or the hitch broke. Too much trailer for the truck, plus poor weight distribution, plus super soft lifted suspension. Just before it dropped I thought to myself about how much the whole rig wallowed and bounced through the intersection. Thankfully they were only doing maybe 25 mph and the chains held so the camper didn't tip or go off the road.

I can feel even a tiny 1500 lbs trailer affect the balance on my 3500 lbs car. Can only imagine how a poorly set up 10000+ lbs trailer could throw around a 5000 lbs truck in the wrong conditions. If the driver isn't prepared, they are going to have a problem. Saw a lot of questionable setups on my road trip where the truck had the power to haul the trailer but only marginal stability with the rear of the truck visibly unloading as the weight shifted.

We're assuming this was not caused by another vehicle. But we don't know that.

One of the largest threats to a truck towing a trailer is what I call "Nirvana Syndrome". People see a trailer, and regardless of the speed it is travelling, people assume they are being denied access to a Driver's Nirvana that is directly ahead of the tow vehicle. They desperately seek to enter Nirvana, and will do anything to get there. The first idiot takes the first crack of space he can get to go around the truck and trailer, but his line of sight is blocked by the trailer. Once he gets around the trailer, he immediately realizes that Nirvana is not there. Just more traffic. By this time, Idiots #2, #3, and in some cases Idiot #4 have also attempted to enter Nirvana, also discovering just more traffic. Idiot #1 slams on his brakes. The rest follow. Truck and trailer either end up mowing down the new set of idiots, or he's naive enough to think he can turn out of their way. Result is the pretty much like the pic OP posted, or a jackknife.

I've also experienced this problem when driving either of my wagons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back