too much oil - crankshaft splash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doog

But I only run them to 200,000 and then trade them in. I also don't take them on freeway trips that are in excess of 1500 miles.
grin.gif

Yeah, you've really got to watch that short-tripping. You may have to reduce your OCI.

I have GM 3.8, takes 4.5QTS. I put in 5QTS, I am at 120,000 miles, with tons on highway driving and city driving. I mean I have done 75, for four hours straight, and no issues. You will be fine.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Who wants to have a partial can of motor oil sitting around doing nothing and waiting to make a mess? Dump er in.

thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I do not know why manufacturers cannot simply design their vehicles with common sense capacities, either 4.5 or 5 qts for example.

Maybe because engineers design motors to meet the needs of the platform, and not based on how much oil they can hold.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: Lubener
I do not know why manufacturers cannot simply design their vehicles with common sense capacities, either 4.5 or 5 qts for example.

Maybe because engineers design motors to meet the needs of the platform, and not based on how much oil they can hold.

I believe many engineers are analytical in their thinking instead of good old common sense.

The issue will be when that engineer has to go and explain to the accounting department about why he's just made them buy a million extra litres of oil for the vehicle run just because he rounded up the oil to the nearest litre and made the sump a little bigger to suit.

I wouldn't make it a habit to overfill by 15% but I wouldn't worry about it this one time.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I wouldn't make it a habit to overfill by 15% but I wouldn't worry about it this one time.

I continue to be amazed at the posts on this thread. So Leo99, you have specifically identified a 15% overfill as the line not to cross. Let us see your documentation to back up this assertion. How about some technical papers or documents. Maybe something from vehicle manufacturers. I suspect you have pulled this figure right out of your rear end. Absolutely unbelievable.

Last edited:
I think Leo99 refers to the OP's 0.7/4.3q overfill, which equates to 16.28%, and 15% as quoted is close enough for general discussion purpose.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

I continue to be amazed at the posts on this thread. So Leo99, you have specifically identified a 15% overfill as the line not to cross. Let us see your documentation to back up this assertion. How about some technical papers or documents. Maybe something from vehicle manufacturers. I suspect you have pulled this figure right out of your rear end. Absolutely unbelievable.

Let's talk in percentages instead of volume so the math is applicable to any engine. Ideally, we want to fill the engine to 100% of the recommended capacity. We will all agree on that. Do you think 101% is a problem? It sounds like you think a 1% overage is problematic. It sounds like you'd ask for some documentation to support that overage. Maybe not. Maybe you'd agree that 1% overage is not significant. If so, we've established that there is a certain safe overage. If not, you know very little about engines and need to study more instead of posting childish rants on here. Assuming you think 1% overage is acceptable, then what about 2%... 5%... You have to draw a line someplace. Arbitrarily, I choose 15% as that line in the sand. Where do you draw it? Based on your knowledge, what will happen to the engine if you run the oil at 115% capacity for 7000 miles?

Like I posted, I wouldn't worry about a 15% overage. You can worry about it if you want.

Let's talk in percentages instead of volume so the math is applicable to any engine. Ideally, we want to fill the engine to 100% of the recommended capacity. We will all agree on that. Do you think 101% is a problem? It sounds like you think a 1% overage is problematic. It sounds like you'd ask for some documentation to support that overage. Maybe not. Maybe you'd agree that 1% overage is not significant. If so, we've established that there is a certain safe overage. If not, you know very little about engines and need to study more instead of posting childish rants on here. Assuming you think 1% overage is acceptable, then what about 2%... 5%... You have to draw a line someplace. Arbitrarily, I choose 15% as that line in the sand. Where do you draw it? Based on your knowledge, what will happen to the engine if you run the oil at 115% capacity for 7000 miles?

Like I posted, I wouldn't worry about a 15% overage. You can worry about it if you want.

You are obviously one of those self-appointed experts that frequent this forum. "We" have not established that there is a safe general overfill percentage or level for any engine. There may be some engines that will tolerate overfilling but others that will not. Arbitrarily coming up with a number that you like is absolutely meaningless. In the absence of any manufacturers documentation or proof that no damage will occur, no amount of oil overfill in any engine is a good idea or advisable. For someone like you to provide such advice and others to accept it is ridiculous. If you consider raising the [censored] flag for something like this as "a childish rant" then so be it.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
There is a huge difference between windage and the crankshaft whipping the oil. Windage, the wind created by a spinning crankshaft, isn't usually the concern.

A grossly overfilled crankcase will have the oil level so high that the crankshaft is hitting the oil. This impact at very high speed can destroy engine parts. Or, it can whip the oil into a froth that doesn't lubricate well, and ruin an engine.

From the OP's description, this isn't happening. I don't promote overfilling, but in his case it doesn't seem to be a problem. If he'd like, he can remove his filter, drain it, reinstall it, idle the engine, then re-check the oil level. Or, when the oil is cold, remove the drain plug, let a pint out, reinstall the plug. I've changed plug gaskets this way and only spilled a few drops. You gott'a be quick with that thumb over the drain hole....
On the other hand we DO see "splash lube" engines with an "oil slinger" on the crank.
Doesn't seem to hurt the old Briggs L heads any.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I don't understand why there is even any discussion on this issue. Vehicles are designed to hold a specific amount of oil. Virtually all manufacturers state in the owner's guides and even on the dipstick NOT to overfill with oil. They do not say, don't overfill except for .5 quarts, or don't overfill too much. They say DON'T OVERFILL. That is for very good reasons:

http://www.ehow.com/list_7615638_problems-caused-engine-oil-overfill.html

This is easy. Make sure your oil level is somewhere in the safe zone on the dipstick. Not above and not below.

They build in a safety margin of error, and they know people are not perfect. A little overfill does nothing.

Who are they? Lets see some manufacturer's documentation to support your assertion. I am sure you have lots of technical documents to draw upon that provide the margin of error for various engine makes and models.

I was able to ascertain this myself by examining the dozens of engine I have had a part and noting the lower crankshaft throw to the level on the dipstick.

I don't understand why there is even any discussion on this issue. Vehicles are designed to hold a specific amount of oil. Virtually all manufacturers state in the owner's guides and even on the dipstick NOT to overfill with oil. They do not say, don't overfill except for .5 quarts, or don't overfill too much. They say DON'T OVERFILL. That is for very good reasons:

http://www.ehow.com/list_7615638_problems-caused-engine-oil-overfill.html

This is easy. Make sure your oil level is somewhere in the safe zone on the dipstick. Not above and not below.

They build in a safety margin of error, and they know people are not perfect. A little overfill does nothing.

Who are they? Lets see some manufacturer's documentation to support your assertion. I am sure you have lots of technical documents to draw upon that provide the margin of error for various engine makes and models.

I was able to ascertain this myself by examining the dozens of engine I have had a part and noting the lower crankshaft throw to the level on the dipstick.

So you are "they." Your anecdotal evidence does not impress me in the least. Your generalization is dangerous and certainly does not apply to all makes and models of engines.

As long as no bubbles on your dipstick, a little overfill is fine.
Check for bubbles after the engine is hot and check it within a minute of when you turn the engine off.

I overfill a little bit when backfilling - the car leaks oil and I have never had any cavitation show on the stick. Car calls for 3.78qts, I generally fill with a nice round 4qts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back