Too much oil consumption

I never scrolled down on this site before and saw all of these other forums. Cool.
Anyhow, I have an older (I don't even know what year, to be honest) Troy Built riding lawn mower with a 17.5 HP Briggs. It starts and runs great, no issues there. It burns a lot of oil though. It takes a full tank of gas to mow our lawn, I then have to add a quite a bit of oil too. I was always dreading rebuilding the thing (who has time?) and it dawned on me today; I wonder if there is a good additive that I could put in the oil to help slow down the consumption? I use the cheapest full synthetic high mileage oil that I can get at Wal-Mart; mainly just because it can be so darn hot here during the summer. 10W30. Back in the late 80's Restore was popular (I remember seeing the ads on TV with Neil Bonnet). Anyone have any success with anything?

I had a lawn tractor that burned oil and smoked a lot. I added Restore to it and it burned oil and smoked a lot.

Being in North Carolina, you could probably bump up a grade... I would seriously consider using 15w40 in that engine in your climate, given that it uses oil and you probably run it at 90 degrees plus for a good chunk of the year (assuming you don't use it in the winter). Just my opinion, but a good 15w40 shouldn't hurt and could probably only help.

SAE 50 dino is probably not available but 20w50 is
grin2.gif

Switch out the 10w30 to a HD30 or synthetic 5w30 nothing crazy supertech will work fine.

Back