Too much oil consumption

Jeepman - have you used copper head gaskets on the OHV engines? I know they make 'em for the flat heads. My son and I used one to hot rod a cart we built years ago.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
Sometimes this forum works very well. In this case, I believe jeepman3071 has knocked it out of the park.

I appreciate that, and I agree this forum is a great place to share info. I might not always have perfect info, but I try to share my experiences with others. My goal is to help save people money where they can.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Zaedock
Jeepman - have you used copper head gaskets on the OHV engines? I know they make 'em for the flat heads. My son and I used one to hot rod a cart we built years ago.

I've only used them on a few flat head 5hp Briggs engines I've built for carts, but otherwise I don't have much experience with them. I do see that they make them for the OHV Intek engines (and the price isn't that much more) but I haven't tried them yet. The main reason is I'd hate to put that part on a customer's machine, have it not work, and they come back with a failure soon after. If I had a machine of my own with one of these engines I might try the gasket to see how it holds up. Might be a good test to pickup a cheap mower with a blown gasket and try this as a project.
thumbsup2.gif

Let me know. It looks like you're just over a half-hour from me.

Awesome! I also am a part of the Jeep community as well. I usually pick up a few mowers over the summer to fix and flip if things start to slow down business-wise. If I find one with a blown gasket I'll try the copper to see how it does.

Originally Posted by Vladiator
Originally Posted by Lubener
Run 20w-50. No chemical in a can is going to put new metal where it has worn off. Restore is just a can of lead, it is just snake oil.

Copper, Silver, and Lead to be exact. It works, but gotta add some to every oil change. So 20w50 makes more sense financially. In my worn out mower Quiksilver 25w-40 did the trick with reducing oil consumption for about 5 years before the mower completely died.

I still am not convinced that Restore will provide any long term positive results that would last a mowing season.

Are there any issues with OP just running it and keeping it topped off?

Not sure how long the mowing season lasts in NC, but I certainly wouldn't work on a mower now in Indiana aside from anything serious or routine.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Are there any issues with OP just running it and keeping it topped off?

Not sure how long the mowing season lasts in NC, but I certainly wouldn't work on a mower now in Indiana aside from anything serious or routine.

I know, we kinda jacked his post a bit with copper gaskets and hot rod mowers.

I would still try a compression test and post up the results with and without a squirt of oil.
Beyond that, the next step would be increasing viscosity and then a head gasket.

I don't see a mention about how much smoke there is. If it is consuming a lot of oil but very little or no visible smoke, it is probably just the beginning of a blown head gasket and the OP could likely get by this season by using a heavier oil like a 20w50. If there is a considerable amount of smoke while mowing, then it's time to replace the gasket.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by dinofish
Not really. I said what I said based on this. Nothing really has changed. I said in first post that oil probably has a lower viscosity at operating temperate, or, the technical term would be it 'thins' out less. I spoke of the same thing.

31.gif
Mobil 1 and STHM 10W30 have virtually the same kinematic viscosity at 100*C.

I don't know much about that, but I would first try changing the oil to a better brand. And if that is ruled out, then proceed to other steps.

Oil brand will make zero difference since it is likely a mechanical problem. Never in my life have I seen a brand change decrease oil consumption on an engine. A viscosity change (say from a 5w30 to a 15w40 HDEO) might slow consumption, but changing from SuperTech to something like Mobil 1 won't do a thing, unfortunately.

OP is MIA. Although he did say "it starts and runs great, no issues there", so I don't know how this is possible if there are internal problems.

OP is MIA. Although he did say "it starts and runs great, no issues there", so I don't know how this is possible if there are internal problems.

If one of these engines has a blown head gasket like in the picture I posted previously, it will usually start and run just fine, but will burn excessive amounts of oil since oil is being pushed into the combustion chamber from the valve area. In some cases they will create enough smoke to make it impossible to see where you are going, but still run just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc0gfCdsw6Y

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

If one of these engines has a blown head gasket like in the picture I posted previously, it will usually start and run just fine, but will burn excessive amounts of oil since oil is being pushed into the combustion chamber from the valve area. In some cases they will create enough smoke to make it impossible to see where you are going, but still run just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc0gfCdsw6Y

Now that YouTube video looks like an internal issue. OP is not providing a lot of information here. I wish he would.

Sorry to take so long to respond, a bit of a crazy week here.
Wow, huge thanks to all for a tremendous amount of great information. Let me try to touch on a few things that were posted.
The oil that I have been using for the last two years is Valvoline full synthetic high mileage 10W30. When I bought that five quart jug they didn't have 10W30 on hand in Super Tech.
There really isn't any visible smoke to speak of. I was trying to think of exactly how much oil it uses. I've never measured it, I just fill it back up to the full line on the dipstick when I put gas in. If I had to guess, I'll say maybe four of five ounces to a tank of gas (??).
I am fairly particular with taking care of things. The air filter is always kept clean and the valves were adjusted about a year and a half ago (they were not off much at all).
I do like the idea of checking the breather, maybe hopeful would be a better word, who doesn't like a nice easy fix? Jeepman makes a compelling case for the head gasket though. I was worried that it would be complicated, being an OHV engine; but he makes it sound easy enough.
I have a compression tester, so maybe I'll check that out this weekend if I get a chance.
Again, huge thanks to everyone for all of the information!

Originally Posted by AJB0009
Sorry to take so long to respond, a bit of a crazy week here.
Wow, huge thanks to all for a tremendous amount of great information. Let me try to touch on a few things that were posted.
The oil that I have been using for the last two years is Valvoline full synthetic high mileage 10W30. When I bought that five quart jug they didn't have 10W30 on hand in Super Tech.
There really isn't any visible smoke to speak of. I was trying to think of exactly how much oil it uses. I've never measured it, I just fill it back up to the full line on the dipstick when I put gas in. If I had to guess, I'll say maybe four of five ounces to a tank of gas (??).
I am fairly particular with taking care of things. The air filter is always kept clean and the valves were adjusted about a year and a half ago (they were not off much at all).
I do like the idea of checking the breather, maybe hopeful would be a better word, who doesn't like a nice easy fix? Jeepman makes a compelling case for the head gasket though. I was worried that it would be complicated, being an OHV engine; but he makes it sound easy enough.
I have a compression tester, so maybe I'll check that out this weekend if I get a chance.
Again, huge thanks to everyone for all of the information!

When did you start having this oil issue? After you started using Valvoline? Honestly, I would still try using a different brand of oil. A quart of synthetic is about $8. If it works, then great, if it doesn't, then you lose very little. I am not a fan of opening up stuff until all other options are crossed out.

Okay, I finally got back to this. It was cold, sitting for a few days. First compression test was 115. I put a few drops of oil in the cylinder and it did 120.
The spark plug was pretty darn oily. I am not very tech savvy, I'll see if I can take a photo and attach it. I don't believe that plug has been out since mid summer of 2018, which is when the valves were adjusted.
I didn't realize that you have to pull the flywheel to open up the breather.
frown.gif
So, I didn't do that, but the hose was perfect inside, as well as down in the hole, what I could see.
Air filters are all clean. For a tank of gas, I put in every bit of six ounces of oil to fill it back up. Today I put in half of a four cylinder can (maybe four ounces) of Restore.
It is a 31 cubic inch Briggs, 17.5 HP, I/C. Build date was March of 2004. No oil leaks anywhere, the motor stays very clean. Like I said, no visible smoke to speak of, other than a puff at start up. Runs great.
For a spark plug it has a Champion RC12YC. Would there be something better to put back in, to help resist oil and deposit build up?
Thanks again for everyone's input, I really appreciate it.

F735AC32-9C13-4EC5-9FDE-05BD2FD34813.jpeg

Last edited:
Update:
I put in the four ounces of Restore and a new E3 spark plug. The next time we used it, it used a little bit less oil than it has in the past. I was just using up the rest of the jug of 10W30 (Valvoline FS HM) and then I was going to switch to 15W40.
Well...we mowed the lawn again and it didn't use hardly a drop! It was maybe down a very small amount on the dipstick from where I filled it to, but that is all. An ounce maybe?
Crazy. If someone told me that four ounces of Restore and a new spark plug would stop oil consumption, I would not have believed them.
Thoughts?

Update:
I put in the four ounces of Restore and a new E3 spark plug. The next time we used it, it used a little bit less oil than it has in the past. I was just using up the rest of the jug of 10W30 (Valvoline FS HM) and then I was going to switch to 15W40.
Well...we mowed the lawn again and it didn't use hardly a drop! It was maybe down a very small amount on the dipstick from where I filled it to, but that is all. An ounce maybe?
Crazy. If someone told me that four ounces of Restore and a new spark plug would stop oil consumption, I would not have believed them.
Thoughts?

I think the heavier oil had more to do with it. You can't add metal back onto rings or a cylinder wall once it has worn off. Restore if at best is temporary.

Update:
Thoughts?

Just for clarification, did you switch to 15W-40 or were you still using 10W-30 when noticing the improvement.

If I can do head gasket change, then you definitely can do it.
I actually liked it so much that I'm considering doing it again and trying copper gasket. After I look in to it more.

IMG_20200312_154005.jpg

Back