too much lube control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i changed the oil on my bike this weekend (analysis forthcoming), and i probably added too much lube control.

i had 2.25 quarts of oil, and the bike takes 2.5, so i made up the difference with l/c.

looking through some literature, i see this is about right for a flushing dose.

i can change the engine oil (about 1~1.5 quart) without dumping all the oil. should i do so?

the bike hasn't been ridden with this in it, but i'm taking a bit of a trip this week.

thanks, gentlepeople.

Should clean it really well.

How long is the trip? I would run it this way for 100-400 miles and dump it - or perhaps just drain a full quart of the brew and top up with a full qt of oil.

Does this bike have an oil filter? If so replace it as well when draining.

trip will be probably 1000 miles or so.

this bike has oil in the pan (about a quart or so) and the rest in the frame, so it's quite easy to drop a bit and reload.

8 onces to a 2.5 once system is a bit much unless this bike is a varnished up sludge pit! I would ride it 500 miles then exchange a quart of oil out. On that same note I do not think it is going to do any longterm damage! I would not make a habit of useing this much LC.

In theory I would sumize that in 500-600 miles much of the sovent part of the LC will have burnt off! Air cooled bikes run a lot hotter then cars do and typicaly run dirtier. If you do decide to run it the whole 1000 miles I would change the oil before the return trip! It is going to be loaded with all the deposits that have accumulated in this bike! I would also imagine that if this is a Buell that it can use a good cleaning! I can only imagine how much junk might be hidden in the fram in terms of deposits!

Jason is right on.

350ml or so of LC to 2.25 qts will not harm the oil or the engine at all. It is a fine lubricant in its own right.

Run this oil LC mix as far as you normally do.

Next time initially add about 5 ounces to the normal oil you choose. Then top up at 3 ounces every 1000 miles of use for that application.

Tweeker43 did you use our service ? I would love to have you as both a cycle and a automotive customer.

Cheers, Terry

it's a 2005 bmw f650cs. it's water cooled. i put about 5000 miles on the last oil. i have about 9000 on the bike right now.

terry, i will put your name on the slip. i didn't get it mailed today. bmw recommends 6000 mile oci (with no synthetics). hdeo is accepted as well as standard m/c oil.

when i was adding the l/c to the oil (in the bottle) it didn't seem like that much. then, i started thinking about it.

Nice Bike. LC is what I coin a near ester so it won't harm the oil.

I look forward to interpreting the data.

Periodic Cycle-RX is a great idea too, especially for the BMW design. Have testing data coming out using Cycle-RX in a Suzuki sport bike that you will be particularily interested in.

Terry

it's actually a rotax (650 single) with a bmw head on it. twin spark, really smooth at cruising velocity.

i'm on pace for at least 12,000 miles this year. i really, really love this bike.

I think you're fine. The original Lc recommendation used to 10% initial. I think Terry/Molakule reduced it because engines are much cleaner now than when LC was created. You don't need that much anymore, but I don't think it will hurt. Check w/Terry if you worried. I wouldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back