Too much iron in oil - bought a filter mag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you may get a lot of people arguing with Blackstone's comments about 40 ppm iron in 8k miles being "abrasive" and that you should change it right away. Thus your whole premise may be flawed.

That website looks like an advertisement for filter magnets. Did you intend it that way? Just my impression FWIW.

Is 5W20 the recommended viscosity for the vehicle?

What "results" are you referring to in your post? Perhaps I missed something. All I see is one blackstone report showing 40 ppm iron. Was there supposed to be another report showing the same vehicle and oil and same OCI with less ppm Fe after using the magnets? I don't get it.

Definitely nothing wrong with using a good magnetic drain plug or one of the various magnets that stick to the outside of the filter can to capture the crud the filter cant.

Here's a few photos of a magnetic drain plug I use in my 05 Tacoma. This was at 5K on the engine, and the oil had 4K on it.

As you can see in the second shot (half the crud cleaned off), there was a pretty good layer of metallic "black crud" collected. Also, you can see a few big metal slivers.

SuperPlugdirty.jpg

SuperPlughalfdirty.jpg

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Here's a few photos of a magnetic drain plug I use in my 05 Tacoma. This was at 5K on the engine, and the oil had 4K on it.

Great shot of break in wear! I bet the amount of crud drops exponentially as you get more miles on the engine. Do you know at what mileage your engine is normally considered to be "broken in"? I have seen both UOA Fe and magnet accumulations drop off considerably after the magic "broken in" point.

I tried a magnetic drainplug for one OCI on my '98 Jeep 5.9L and saw no metal on it at all after 3k & M1 w/ WIX filter. Granted that was when it had over 150k on it I think.

The web page is not an add. I don't really care what sells as long as it works. These are all my ideas put together and everyone elses on this forum. Its just a place for one web page
with lots of ideas.

40 ppm iron in 8k miles being "abrasive" is the results I got without the filter magnet. I will need to wait another 6 months for the oil to get changed again so I can see what the iron results are using the filter magnet.

5w-20 is the oil recommended for a 3.8L 2006 Grand Caravan

Click on the picture of the magnet to go to their web site. Its there you can read more

Originally Posted By: saaber1
I think you may get a lot of people arguing with Blackstone's comments about 40 ppm iron in 8k miles being "abrasive" and that you should change it right away. Thus your whole premise may be flawed.

That website looks like an advertisement for filter magnets. Did you intend it that way? Just my impression FWIW.

Is 5W20 the recommended viscosity for the vehicle?

What "results" are you referring to in your post? Perhaps I missed something. All I see is one blackstone report showing 40 ppm iron. Was there supposed to be another report showing the same vehicle and oil and same OCI with less ppm Fe after using the magnets? I don't get it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Great shot of break in wear! I bet the amount of crud drops exponentially as you get more miles on the engine. Do you know at what mileage your engine is normally considered to be "broken in"? I have seen both UOA Fe and magnet accumulations drop off considerably after the magic "broken in" point.

I put in a magnetic drain plug in my 110K mile Volvo. I change the oil every 7500 miles. Every time, there is a small amount of the same looking deposits on the end of the plug. Probably 1/3rd as much as pictured on his.

What I am curious about, is this stuff that managed to pass through the filter? Or through the bypass?

What about everything else in my engine that is made out of aluminum? Could this be passing through the same way that the ferrous metals are getting through?

I don't know that the oil pan is the best place to put them. I think they need to be used somewhere that will allow the iron they collect to be removed, such as an oil filter or the drain plug, or in a bypass filter.

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
saaber1 said:
What about everything else in my engine that is made out of aluminum? Could this be passing through the same way that the ferrous metals are getting through?

The only thing a magnet is going to catch is ferrous metal. Everything else will either get trapped in the filter or pass through it if it is small enough in size.

I can believe that the Filter Mag won't fall off the car after big bumps, but what about some of the tiny, captured metal pieces that are magnetically stuck to the inside wall of the oil filter? How often are they dislodged after big bumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back