too little oil found after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems like the perfect instance for sending off a sample for analysis. Disregard the posts where people say you're good if you didn't get the low oil pressure light. That's a LOST PRESSURE light, meaning you're essentially hosed unless you shutdown right away. However, if you haven't done any hard cornering or flat-out acceleration recently, you're probably fine, so long as the loss in volume is due to consumption. If it was low to begin with, as some have suggested is possible, I'd be happy and sad. Happy, because that would mean you didn't consume much, even with low starting level; sad, because I ran for so long without knowing the true level - frustrating.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Sn0wman
Hard to believe engine could have used up 3 quarts of oil.

What's even HARDER to believe is that you've *never* pulled the dipstick the entire time you have owned this car?!?!!?!?!

What's even HARDER to believe is that you read this post, but not the two posts that show the OP did check...

happy2.gif

Last edited:
If you get a chance, please reread my posts where I explain that I did check oil level but had difficulty with oil streaked on the dipstick to get a good reading. Having read more about the Coyote V8 oil consumption issue, that is also a possibility. I just went out and checked the dipstick again. It is on flat level ground in my garage and is cold, has not been started up since Thursday actually. The oil is streaked up and down the dipstick, however, the oil looks thickest up to the top of the hatched area, so that seems like full 8 quarts.

Just to be sure, you pulled, wiped, reinserted and pulled again?

yep. as someone mentioned I believe, you'd think that the most accurate reading would be the first pull if it was sitting cold. I have an 06 Honda pilot I've done oil changes on for years and it's a nice crisp line of oil on the dipstick.

yep. as someone mentioned I believe, you'd think that the most accurate reading would be the first pull if it was sitting cold. I have an 06 Honda pilot I've done oil changes on for years and it's a nice crisp line of oil on the dipstick.

I believe you. Some dipsticks these days are very hard to read. I was taught by my father to read on the second pull so it’s a habit during my 40 plus years of car ownership and diy oil changes.

I'd be concerned being three quarts low and no warning light. Wife's caddy holds 8 quarts and it never fails about 3 weeks before she is due for a change the check oil light comes on and it's always 2 quarts low. Even adding a 1/2 quart will turn it off so it's fairly accurate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I'd be concerned being three quarts low and no warning light. Wife's caddy holds 8 quarts and it never fails about 3 weeks before she is due for a change the check oil light comes on and it's always 2 quarts low. Even adding a 1/2 quart will turn it off so it's fairly accurate.

There's two kinds of warning lights: low oil pressure, and low oil. Most cars don't seem to have oil level monitors. Thus, if the OP never wound the car out, it would never suffer reduced oil pressure--and even then, at full tilt, it might still make full pressure. The high amount of oil might be due to an oil cooler and/or the usage of a large sump capacity to control temps (and in case of oil usage--have to have enough oil to make it through the race).

My apologies sir. I did not read all of it.
Some dip sticks are difficult to read, try twisting the sick one way or another. The point of friction wipes the oil off or smears it making it difficult to read. Some dip sticks have a twist in them to prevent this.

Last edited:
My goal is to check once a month, I have 4 cars, so I am concerned about maintenance.

Assuming that you fill the tank at each fill up, and refill whe it's somewhat close to "E", you can easily check the oil during the time it takes to refill the gas tank (if your stations do not have a latch to hold the handle so you can walk away, use the gas cap). Just give the engine a minute or so to let the oil get back down to the pan (also assuming the engine is warm when you do this).

I wouldn't trust the car. I would sell it and buy a new car. Check the oil, coolant level, brake fluid, and steering fluid every fill-up on the new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My friend's 96 GT would use an entire sump's worth of oil within 3000 miles. I'm not sure how the current V8's are,but his 4.6 used oil like it was going out of style. I'd check your oil once a week at least to see if it's using any.

He must have hurt that engine.

My 1996 Mustang GT 4.6 uses maybe 1/4 of one quart in 5,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Hard to believe engine could have used up 3 quarts of oil.

What's even HARDER to believe is that you've *never* pulled the dipstick the entire time you have owned this car?!?!!?!?!

You should reread the OP.

I initially came to the conclusion you did but on rereading the OP has checked the oil

Originally Posted By: TurboTravis
My goal is to check once a month, I have 4 cars, so I am concerned about maintenance.

Assuming that you fill the tank at each fill up, and refill whe it's somewhat close to "E", you can easily check the oil during the time it takes to refill the gas tank (if your stations do not have a latch to hold the handle so you can walk away, use the gas cap). Just give the engine a minute or so to let the oil get back down to the pan (also assuming the engine is warm when you do this).

Often the oil level is off when doing this, some engines keep a lot of oil pumped up in the head(s). My opinion: when at work, it can be nice to have a little stroll at lunchtime. Engine has been off for a few hours, it's fully drained down. Perfect time to check the oil. Lunchtime, or first thing on a Saturday morning.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
I wouldn't trust the car. I would sell it and buy a new car. Check the oil, coolant level, brake fluid, and steering fluid every fill-up on the new vehicle.

Seems a bit excessive to me--not a bad idea, but a whole lot of checks, especially on something new.

You should add "check tire pressure & wear patterns" to be thorough. Actually, check bulbs too, the number of new-looking vehicles on the road with blown bulbs is astounding at times.

I would be curious to know what is the volume difference between the low and full marks on the dipstick. Isn't that distance usually around 1 to 1.5 qts? Perhaps it is more on this 8 qt capacity engine and all is OK? The owner's manual should display the spec - mine does.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: TurboTravis

Often the oil level is off when doing this, some engines keep a lot of oil pumped up in the head(s). My opinion: when at work, it can be nice to have a little stroll at lunchtime. Engine has been off for a few hours, it's fully drained down. Perfect time to check the oil. Lunchtime, or first thing on a Saturday morning.

In a perfect world, sure, after the engine has been shut down for a few hours or overnight is the 'best' time to check the oil, however the real world difference between checking it after a couple minutes after shutdown (assuming the oil is at operating temp) and a much longer time is negligible. Ensuring that the level is well into the serviceable range via either method will ensure that the oil is at a safe level.

OK, I read this entire thread.
Keep fuel consumption records too.
I'll bet your engine wasn't damaged but I'd love to know details of where you purchased your car.
EX: Who were these monkeys who blindly installed only 5 quarts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back