TOO HEAVY

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by mgm13:
My brother just put 6qts of Mobil 1 15w50 in his 2000 GM 5.3. 70,000 miles no noise no usage no problems on Mobil1 10w30. Deep S Texas 100+.
Question is what will this do to his engine and whats the best fix short of dumping $24 worth of new oil?
Help pls.

LS1 based motors (4800, 5300, LS1, LS6, 6000) like thick oil. Many here use a blend of Mobil 1 15W-50 and 10W30.

He will likely have a slight mpg lose 1-2% peak bhp from the pumping and windage losses.

My suggestion? Run it 7500 mi or until lows get below 40F (4.4C).

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by MAJA:
Also, whats with the Tech's A$$ comment?

Easy, Tex - my daughter, an alum of Texas A&M, is a Tex-A$$ resident, too, and enjoys the kidding. Besides, our governor will come beat your governor up if you're not carefull!

cheers.gif
A Lone-Star state of mind...

He should be fine. I'd just run it out to a normal oci. Your location and the fact that it's Summer make it a non- issue.

Not to worry.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mgm13:
My brother just put 6qts of Mobil 1 15w50 in his 2000 GM 5.3. 70,000 miles no noise no usage no problems on Mobil1 10w30. Deep S Texas 100+.
Question is what will this do to his engine and whats the best fix short of dumping $24 worth of new oil?
Help pls.

Could be worse. He could have put 5w20 in it!
grin.gif

But seriously, if he has an oil pressure gauge and it is not above spec hot pressure, not to worry. If he wants to back off, drain two quarts and replace with 5w30 and he will be fine. But save the two drained quarts for near future use.

offtopic.gif
maja - I was being facetious about the cold in S. Texas. I was in San Marcos on the hottest day on record there. Right before that I was in Houston. I can't stand the heat....The Techsass thing is nothing personal.

Your brother may find out that the truck runs smoother and likes the heavy oil in the summer better. Somebody here mentioned that the add package is just a tiny bit beefier with the 15w-50 too. I wish I made mistakes like that!!!

With M1 15w-50, he'll be fine. I put it my car this summer, and last summer come to think of it. No noticeable difference in MPG whatsoever (it's an old 4-banger Saturn). M1's 15w-50 product is good stuff.

I agree with the above posts. It is likely to be a great oil for that engine and climate. I would bet on better UOA results also.

Chris

Help pls.

I fail to see the issue here. Sure a 10W-30 will probably flow better on those cold mornings and the 15W-50 isn't specically in the manual, but we are talking Tech's a$$ summer and synthetic oil....not an issue.

I am assuming he put 15W-50 in instead of 10W-30, by mistake, right? There should be no problems here at all. In fact, I would probably prefer to use it instead of the 10W-30, as I am not much further north of you.

And Pablo, the Rio Grande valley has no cold mornings. Also, whats with the Tech's A$$ comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back