Too good to be true? $600 2002 Jetta...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Your not going to find a decient car for $600-$800. Remember when Joe dirt bought that hemi dodge for like $360. That was made up and its not going to happen to you....ever.

Horse manure. I HAVE found decent cars for under $1000!

So have I. The $500.00 Focus. But I was able to wrench on it myself and get it through a safety pretty easily. He's not able to do that stuff.

+1, i picked up a Accord for $200 as winter beater that I'm still using to this day. Had 160k when I got it, now has 228k miles. Haven't paid anyone to do anything to it, all DIY. I've only had to do maintenance to it surprisingly enough. It needs a timing belt, but I'm gonna pull a technologs and not do it.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
It needs a timing belt, but I'm gonna pull a technologs and not do it.

LMAO!!!
grin.gif

LMAO!!!
grin.gif

I'm gonna get a 1983 DeLorean DMC12 and go back in time and fix that with Volvo #3.

Back_to_the_Future_DeLorean_-_Universal_Studios_Florida.jpg

It will happen. Sometime in the next couple of years.

Loved that car.

*PS: Timing belt killed neither of the other two, both of which ultimately got junked (first was resold to someone who beat junker by $150.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

LMAO!!!
grin.gif

I'm gonna get a 1983 DeLorean DMC12 and go back in tim eand fix that with Volvo #3.

It will happen. Sometime in the next couple of years.

Loved that car.

*PS: Timing belt killed neither of the other two, both of which ultimately got junked (first was resold to someone who beat junker by $150.)

That's only because you killed them with love before the timing belt could
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

Besides.. I don't have $600.
smile.gif

You mean you were going to pay $600 for it? I thought they were going to pay you $600 to take it off their hands.....
Jokes aside, I've purchased sub $1000 vehicles that have been true bargains. My latest was a Jeep Cherokee that I found on Craigslist. The previous owner had put $800 worth of tires on it, driven it 100 miles and blew the engine. So he was just wanted to get his $800 back from the tire purchase. I purchased it for $800, installed a new head gasket (that's what the previous owner called a blown engine), and I've put many miles on it since.
However, I'd never roll the dice like that on a Volkswagon.

I bought a 1970 Ford Fairlane Wagon (Ivy Green) in 1990, for the princely sum of $250.

It had a 302 V-8, AT and AM radio. No other options and about 85,000 miles on it.

It was ugly, but it ran and ran reliably. It was simple to work on. Points needed adjusting every 6,000 miles. It got fresh dino oil every 3,000.

I finally junked it in 1995 with 130,000 miles on it because of rust on the frame that had caused frame cracks (no longer safe) and a tailgate that had rusted off its hinges (thus reducing the utility of a SW...).

That car was cheap to own and cheap to run. I could do all the maintenance. There are decent cars out there, but this VW screams money pit....

Last edited:
You'd be better off spending that $600 on a scooter. Definitely more reliable Nd cheaper to work on.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
I wouldn't be surprised if someone sabotaged the starter just so no unsuspecting buyers could hear the thing run---and I use the term "run" very loosely.

This is something that crossed my mind as well.

Imagine something that blows up with great regularity and is insanely expensive to fix... VUE CVT transmissions for example. Take one that doesn't move, then roll it into a telegraph pole. Presto, instant "accident". Would it sell for more in this condition?
27.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Imagine something that blows up with great regularity and is insanely expensive to fix... VUE CVT transmissions for example. Take one that doesn't move, then roll it into a telegraph pole. Presto, instant "accident". Would it sell for more in this condition?
27.gif

Ha ha yeah someone would buy it looking to grab the trans out of it!

more like 100% junk.
go ahead and buy it!
pour nail polish remover into the starter and see if it heals it.
i agree that there are danger signs all over this thing.
if it were true that all it needed was a starter only an idiot would give it away for $600.
they would replace the starter and sell it for market value!
$600 is more than the shredder will pay for it so if its a loser you might get half back.
Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
"Engine and transmission 100 percent"

This could also mean "Engine 50 percent and transmission 50 percent"

Or 100 percent "chance" they are still in the vehicle.

I don't know you or anything about you but you seem to catch a lot of flak about your decisions in life on here. I do see some great advice given however so maybe you should follow some of it.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

"pour nail polish remover into the starter and see if it heals it". kc8 -- thanks for my morning laugh.
the wizard still hasn't posted recently. I guess that he's still out buying magic beans.

On the other hand, if he bought the VW he'd have available to him the very large resources and membership of the VW Vortex forum. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help him and they'd be very patient with his various theories.

[/sarcasm]

Originally Posted By: yeti
"pour nail polish remover into the starter and see if it heals it". kc8 -- thanks for my morning laugh.
the wizard still hasn't posted recently. I guess that he's still out buying magic beans.

He's been in the consumer electronics subforum asking about unlocking his brand new Galaxy S3

If you are doing to go cheap. Sell the blazer and but a little Saturn. There is so much info online about them of you just watch rich pins videos you should be fine. They are easy to fix. That being said. You need to learn how to do this stuff on your own. If your going to buy junk and make it good you have to have the ability to do so. Passing inspection should be easy!

The more you guys tell him about how you purchased under $1000 car and had great service with them, the more he is going to end up with yet another $600 car.

Now I am thinking, you really want him to do that :)

Around here, junkyard give you $400 for a car, so you are really only risking $600 - junkyard value + any parts you put into it.

The tinted windows alone would be enough to keep me from buying the car.

Originally Posted By: Oversteer
Ignore the naysayers, buy the VW. It would entertain me.

Then he'd be posting from a cardboard box outside Starbucks so he could use their free WiFi
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back