Too far gone…

sorry for your friend BUT addictions of many kinds are killers + many are silent killers like carbs + sugars that slowly steal your health. every trip to Wallys saddens as i know how todays rampant obesity is just BRUTAL. sugar is said to work on many of the same receptors as cocaine only slower. may he rest in peace.

Odd how it can go either way, to the extreme, for veterans. I guess the demands make you stronger, or tear you up.

@53' Stude and everyone else, I'm sorry for your losses. I've been thru it, 3 times learning friends committed suicide. One was a former roommate, one we served together in 2 different units and deployed together, and the most recent one we served together and I considered him a best friend who killed himself in Sept. It's devastating be well, treat others with compassion.

Addiction has no boundaries. From homeless to veterans to doctors, lawyers and judges. The only thing that works is treatment. Not putting people who are addicted in jail. And treatment may not work the first time. Maybe not the second. And you need to remember sobriety is for those that want it, not for those who need it.

I had a draft number of 114 and a classification of 1H but was never called up. I still have my draft card. My brother had a student deferment.

The unfortunate numbers for Vietnam are 65K killed in action and another 65K who have committed suicide. And thousands injured or damaged from agent orange.

But in perspective WWII was 65 to 80 million killed both civilian and soldiers.

Covid19 is a million died of the virus in US.

Addiction is a demon and hard to overcome for many. RIP.
Once an addict always an addict. That demon never ever goes away. After my accident I was addicted to pain pills (I broke almost every bone on my left side,my neck, a ton of internal injuries, and lost my left arm) it took me a year to get off of them. To this day I will not/cannot take any pain pills, and I get kidney stones. Its the same for recovering alcoholics not 1 drink ever. It can be done but you have to want to do it, and its a daily fight keeping the demons at bay.

Once an addict always an addict. That demon never ever goes away. After my accident I was addicted to pain pills (I broke almost every bone on my left side,my neck, a ton of internal injuries, and lost my left arm) it took me a year to get off of them. To this day I will not/cannot take any pain pills, and I get kidney stones. Its the same for recovering alcoholics not 1 drink ever. It can be done but you have to want to do it, and its a daily fight keeping the demons at bay.
I wish you the best in your recovery. When you say "pain pills", does that include Tylenol and Advil or just Rx opiates? I have kidney stones, too. Called my doctor the first time I experienced a painful one and told him I'm in pain and told him I had some Vicodin from post surgery that I never took. He said I could take the Vicodin but it wasn't going to help. LOL. Kidney stones are brutal. Good luck with them. Same thing that I need to remind myself, drink more water!

I wish you the best in your recovery. When you say "pain pills", does that include Tylenol and Advil or just Rx opiates? I have kidney stones, too. Called my doctor the first time I experienced a painful one and told him I'm in pain and told him I had some Vicodin from post surgery that I never took. He said I could take the Vicodin but it wasn't going to help. LOL. Kidney stones are brutal. Good luck with them. Same thing that I need to remind myself, drink more water!
Any opiates, when is was in ICU they were giving me valium, morphine and phenergan every 3 hours directly into a heart port b/c my right arm was already full of IV. I spent almost a year in hospitals and rehab places. And yes kidney stones suck I drink 3-4 liters of water daily and no coffee soda or tea and still get them every few months. Now I just suck it up since they are pretty small.

Any opiates, when is was in ICU they were giving me valium, morphine and phenergan every 3 hours directly into a heart port b/c my right arm was already full of IV. I spent almost a year in hospitals and rehab places. And yes kidney stones suck I drink 3-4 liters of water daily and no coffee soda or tea and still get them every few months. Now I just suck it up since they are pretty small.
I've passed about 15 stones in 2 years but thankfully, only 2 were painful. First one I didn't know what to do. The second one, I used a heating pad on the affected kidney and it helped ease the pain a bit. Lucky for me, once they hit the bladder they pass pretty uneventfully. Good luck!

Back