Tomato growers

I was a little late getting a Lemon Boy in (memorial weekend) but it's already producing flowers and one tomato and it's not quite 2 foot tall, don't remember this happening so soon in the past.

Question: should I remove them? I've read if you don't it can slow down the over all growth of the plant but I've also read that after 2-3 weeks just leave them alone.

I had never heard of such a thing. I did find this:
Once your plants are in the garden, don’t remove flowers as there is no further benefit, and you’ll just be robbing yourself of delicious tomatoes.

i think I'll just leave it be.

I should mention I usually just pickup my veggie plants at Wally but this year i drove out to a mom & pop nursery and paid a little more, maybe that's the difference I'm seeing.

Thanks

I suspect the plant is root bound and just throwing out some flowers to try and produce while it can. Getting it in the ground will probably start recuperating the plant for a more normal cycle.

Is that variety determinant or indeterminate? If the latter, you’ll have no problem.

I was a little late getting a Lemon Boy in (memorial weekend) but it's already producing flowers and one tomato and it's not quite 2 foot tall, don't remember this happening so soon in the past.

Question: should I remove them? I've read if you don't it can slow down the over all growth of the plant but I've also read that after 2-3 weeks just leave them alone.
A lack of nitrogen. Pluck the tomato and any suckers. Feed with some tomato or plant tone. Small plants do not yield many tomatoes. I also pluck off all early peppers.

Last edited:
Back