Toilet fill valve: Fluidmaster or Korky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, all you plumbers out there, both pro & amateur- to replace an old troublesome ballfloat toilet fill valve, which is better- the popular-with-the-pros Fluidmaster(#400A, $7.99), or the up & comer, gaining-ground-with-the-DIY Korky(#528, $9.99)?

It's not realy a big deal- heck, I can buy *both* of 'em less than 3 miles away at the local Ace HW for <$20 total- but still, feel free to weigh in with your experiences with either or both. All help appreciated.

Just put in a Korky set. Fill valve is quiet. Red rubber parts supposed to be resistant to chemicals. Easy to adjust. Made in USA is the most important virtue to me. With the set, all parts included, bolts, washers etc. I didn't look where the other ones were made but many are made in China or Taiwan. Speaking for myself, I have had enough of that already and want to support workers who pay taxes and into social security and make an honest living.

I've had problems with the Fluidmasters that I installed. I'm on a well that constantly pumps a tiny bit of silt. The Fluidmasters slowly plug up and after 3-4 years they won't fill anymore. The originals lasted 20+ years.

Thanks for the info that another alternative is available. I've got one dead Fluidmaster to replace. I'll try the Korky.

Ed

The Korky is a breeze to install. I found the Fluidmaster tough to adjust because you have the height of the valve and the height of the float. The Korky you just untwist, adjust the height and tighten it back up. It's quiet and works great!

Fluidmaster here. Easy enough to adjust. from what I recall you just set the valve height for the tank with a twist, and adjust the float with a simple spring clip to whatever the water level should be in the tank. Nice fast fill.

Alex.

I've got a fluidmaster acting up. The float seems to get stuck once a week sliding up the shaft as it fills, and it keeps running. When I take the lid off and touch the float, it jumps up and shuts off. I'm going to try cleaning it and adjusting it lower to see that fixes it. If not, I'll be getting another style.

BTW, our water is a little hard.

I replaced my OEM ones with Fluidmaster ones from HD. Easy to install, but the dang chain links that connect the flapper to the handle get kinked every now and then.

Aggravating!!!!!!!!!!!

The oem ones were leaking, but utilized a small ball link chain instead of the open links.

I'm neither a professional or amateur (what kind of hobby is plumbing?) plumber.

The last Fluidmaster that I bought was garbage. The seal was hard and poorly cast with lots of flash still attached. I never got that seal to properly seal. I bought a HydroClean EZ fill valve for a few bucks more, and that one was excellent. It came with a nice, soft seal. It's also been keeping the tank clean, which makes the flush valve seal better.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I replaced my OEM ones with Fluidmaster ones from HD. Easy to install, but the dang chain links that connect the flapper to the handle get kinked every now and then.

Aggravating!!!!!!!!!!!
In my experience, the plastic links do that, the metal link chains don't. Replace with metal and you should be fine.

I installed a Fluidmaster, I found adjusting the height a little tricky. And the fitting on the bottom was different from the original, but it seems to be working fine. Just wonder when that little rubber washer (shut off) goes where I can find that part.

Ffracer, I found the Korky today at the local Ace Hardware store. They also had the Fluidmaster, a store-brand old-fashioned ball-on-a-stick type, and masybe one other. Before looking today had no idea just what was available, though I did know that there was an alternative to the old original ball-float type. The last time I replaced a tank-fill valve(*Not* the flap valve at the bottom of the tank) was almost 30 yrs ago, & IIRC the ball-float-on-a-rod type was the only thing available, at least locally. Before today I'd never heard of Fluidmaster or Korky.

The kid at the store said Fluidmaster was their big seller. Of course, 1. It's been around a long time, & 2. It's cheaper.

We have hard water here. I've done a little more research, & there are a couple of reviews on Amazon that make me think maybe the Korky is a better choice for hard water.

I'll probably go ahead & get the kit that includes a new flap valve also- and while I'm at it maybe I should replace that ~30-yr old inlet shutoff valve . It's so old it has a rigid chromed metal line instead of a flexible one between it & the bottom of the tank. A new valve & tube might save a lot of grief later.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Just wonder when that little rubber washer (shut off) goes where I can find that part.

Some Home Depots and True Value/Ace stores carry them. About $2-3 when I picked up a few. That might be a lifetime supply though, I've never had to replace one in the ten years I've had the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back