Todays ribs with pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three slabs of spares,trimmed St.Louis style. I'll use the rib tips in some cheesy potatoes I'm going to fix for a cookout tomorrow.
They tasted as good as they look. Enjoy!
Rubbed with TexasBBQRub and turbinado sugar.
food001.jpg

Three pieces of apple wood for a light smoke flavor.
food002.jpg

Ribs on the lower rack, the rib tips on top.
food003.jpg

Kept the cooking temperature between 250 and 260, they were done in about 5 hours. Put my homemade sauce on them during the last 45 minutes or so.
food004.jpg

food005.jpg

food006.jpg

food007.jpg

food008.jpg

Looks great! Can you please post a recipe? I've tried grilling ribs a few times before... they come out tasting good, but the meat is seriously stuck to the bones. What needs to be done so that the meat easily separates from the bones?

Pete, time and moderate cooking temperature is the recipe. I watch for the meat to start pulling up from the end of the bones, then start checking doneness by sticking a toothpick between a couple ribs. If it slides in easy with little or no resistence they're done. Another way is to pick them up with a pair of tongs and see if they bend easily. As you can see one of mine split almost completely in half.I usually use all three tests.
I'm not a big fan of mushy, fall off the bone ribs, I like a little firmer texture.

Steve, if you lived a little closer I'd gladly share some.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM
20.gif

Please post your recipe so we can see how good those ribs taste and post our own pics!

I take it you don't you boil them first to soften the meat...

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I Love that homemade smoker!
Did you make that, or purchase that?

Looks like a 55 gal drum converted into a smoker?

EXCELLENT looking ribs! ENJOY!

Yep, built it myself. I've built a total of eight, one for me and seven for co-workers.It's my favorite of the four smokers I own to use, I guess since it's homemade. Detailed instructions can be found here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

Originally Posted By: StevieC
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
20.gif

Please post your recipe so we can see how good those ribs taste and post our own pics!

I take it you don't you boil them first to soften the meat...

I pretty much posted the whole recipe. Good layer of rub and sugar, cooked at 250ish with apple wood until the meat starts pulling up the bone, then I test em by the toothpck probe test and by lifting them with tongs to see how easily they bend. A little sauce towards the end and that's it. Never, ever, ever boil ribs. With the right smoker it's easy to get them tender enough by just cooking them.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Do you take the peritoneum off the back side of your ribs when you cook em? Some people say that's unnecessary and some swear by it.

Yes I peel the membrane off, mainly so the ribs won't curl up.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I copied your cooking method yesterday ,the best ribs I ever had THANKYOU!!!

You're welcome Steve, glad to hear they turnd out good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back