Todays ribs with pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delicious... next time Im in IN, Ill be giving you a PM. I'll pay for ribs like those!

I just ate a rack of St. Louis ribs last night at a red hot and blue. This time is the second of mine that brand, each visit being to a different restaurant. Ive not been impressed. I had dry rub and sweet... They were OK, but not great.

We have a place called Fat Jack's that does good BBQ, but not that good looking!

I tenderize my ribs with lemon juice and I use Galena Street Rib and Chicken Rub. This is not a sweet tasting rub. I rub it on the ribs and then grill or smoke them. I order my spices from http://www.penzeys.com and they give a lot of information about spices and how to use them. Order a catalog and use it as a referance.

Do you guys wrap the ribs in aluminum foil? I've read some posts on texasbbqrub forum that recommend this if you're only doing a single slab of ribs. But then it seems that if I were to do this, I might as well just toss them in the baking oven instead of on the gas grill.

Also, don't the ribs dry out if you grill them (indirect heat method) for 5-6 hours? Are you supposed to spray them with water every so often?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Delicious... next time Im in IN, Ill be giving you a PM. I'll pay for ribs like those!

I just ate a rack of St. Louis ribs last night at a red hot and blue. This time is the second of mine that brand, each visit being to a different restaurant. Ive not been impressed. I had dry rub and sweet... They were OK, but not great.

We have a place called Fat Jack's that does good BBQ, but not that good looking!

Give me a shout if you're in the area.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
I tenderize my ribs with lemon juice and I use Galena Street Rib and Chicken Rub. This is not a sweet tasting rub. I rub it on the ribs and then grill or smoke them. I order my spices from http://www.penzeys.com and they give a lot of information about spices and how to use them. Order a catalog and use it as a referance.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
11.gif
36.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Do you guys wrap the ribs in aluminum foil? I've read some posts on texasbbqrub forum that recommend this if you're only doing a single slab of ribs. But then it seems that if I were to do this, I might as well just toss them in the baking oven instead of on the gas grill.

Also, don't the ribs dry out if you grill them (indirect heat method) for 5-6 hours? Are you supposed to spray them with water every so often?

I foil spares sometimes,but never foil back ribs.Foiling speeds up the cooking process a little and helps get the "falling off the bone" texture, which I'm not a big fan of.It also helps provide a consistent cooking environment while in the foil.The general guideline for foiling spares is the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours in smoke, followed by 2 hours foiled and the final hour unfoiled to firm the ribs up a little. The last hour is a good time to add bbq sauce or some other finishing sauce like Texas Pepper Jelly. These times are approximate, actual cooking times depend on size of the ribs, cooking temp etc.

Foiling also helps prevent oversmoking, which is easy to do with ribs.Three hours of smoke exposure, even with a mild wood like apple is a lot.I'd say it's a safe bet that almost 100% of competition teams foil their ribs for some amount of time, as they do with pork shoulders and briskets.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Pete, check this out.

Fun to watch, he uses no foil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETXRScuvjSQ&feature=channel

Canadian guy. Some good points here, he uses foil.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8OPHPdxodY

I don't know anybody down here that uses foil and they always turn out great. We tend more toward the first video. It's all about the temperature, really.

Notice the guy in the first video tries to maintain cooking temp between 225 and 275 on his kettle, and in the second video he sets the temp of his pellet pooper at 275. I generally aim for around 250 but don't worry if it bounces up and down a few degrees either way. A couple people here recomend ultra low ,sub 200 cooking temps which are totally unnecessary.

Thanks.

What do you all think of this method?

http://www.professorbainbridge.com/professorbainbridgecom/2009/07/bbq-ribs-for-4.html

Disregard the dry rub recipe. I'm more interested in the actual cooking process when utilizing a gas grill.

The one thing I found strange is his use of burners which is different from what Weber's cook book recommends. He suggests turning off the first two burners and only using the third back burner. While Weber suggests turning off the middle burner and keeping the two side burners on. I guess I'll have to experiment with it...

Sounds good. I imagine what he's going for with just the back burner being on instead of back and front is the convection current that would carry the heat and smoke around to help cook the meat evenly. I guess to achieve maximum benefit you'd need to keep the ribs as far forward in the grill as possible. Sounds like a good idea to me.
The only thing I might be careful about is searing the ribs on high at first. I personally wouldn't do it, as it would likely cause the meat's pores to close prematurely and not absorb the smoke or seasoning as readily as it might otherwise. If you have decent quality meat, there's enough connective tissue and fat in those ribs to keep them moist for 5 hrs. @ 250F. As they slowly cook they will lose some moisture, but as the gristly junk gets converted to collagen over time it will replenish what's lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back