Today's Hyundai service department encounter.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little while ago I started this thread about an issue I was having with our Sonata's heat.

So I scheduled my appointment online. I left a two paragraph specific description of the problem and at what times this occurs.

So I get to the dealership and begin to drop off the car. The service manager attempts to look up the car's history and since I hadn't been to that dealership there was none. He does not have the specific issue description I wrote either. I ask him "hey, I wrote a nice synopsis of the issue when I made the appointment" He told me they don't get the notes from the box where you describe the problem....?

He immediately starts trying to sell me the transmission flush and coolant flush. He hasn't even physically touched my car yet. I told him I do the maintenance, which turned out to be a bad idea because I instantly got the "invalidates your warranty" lecture. That part was all fine and well. I expect those things.

He explains the heat may be getting turned off by air bubbles (weird) or the thermostat closing because the coolant is too cold to heat. I find the second explanation particularly weird because the 'temperature gauge' acts normally and is at it's usual position when the heat goes out. So I tell him the gauge is acting normally and my engine coolant (according to this gauge) is warm. His response was "that gauge measures engine temperature, so you wouldn't see the difference". An engine temperature gauge would be something new to me, and since it's a 2009 I suppose that's possible...?

At noon the technician only had a guess - the thermostat for the heater core. Fair enough. It would be replaced under warranty. Then the coolant flush dialogue started again. He said the coolant was "brown". He never suggested a reason on why that could be (as I think there are numerous and some may require immediate repair). $139.95 is the price. I decline and tell him thanks for the heads up and I'll take care of it. Then he directs the questioning to asking me what specific tools I use to flush the coolant. Really? Another "I got it, don't worry about it" from me gets met with another warranty lecture. (As an aside: there's only 10k miles left in the coolant warranty anyway).

Picking up the car was another hassle, but I got it. Minor part charge and a handwritten request "please give us all 10's on the survey form!!!!". LOL.

So the 'temperature gauge' thing and the coolant flush got me to thinking.....so I got out the owner's manual and maintenance log for some reading.

Turns out the gauge in question today is named the Coolant Temperature Gauge. Kind of a weird name for a gauge that doesn't measure engine coolant, isn't it?

In the maintenance log book the recommended coolant flush interval is "60,000 miles/60 months for the first flush and 25,000 miles/24 months thereafter" so even having me decline the flush today keeps me technically in warranty. Coincidentally the first flushing is scheduled for the end of the warranty period.

So I'll be "flushing" my own coolant this weekend, waiting for the follow up phone survey, and marking any future Hyundai dealership service visits off of my list.

Thanks for reading. It was a frustrating day.

Good for you. Its a good feeling to be a capable person. Most people are slaves to the dealer and just do whatever the heck the dealers say. More people need to be informed, willing, and capable as you are. I hope you get the problem fixed, I am quite sure you will.

I wonder what caused your coolant to be brown, that seems a bit off.

Changing your coolant yourself will absolutely not void your warranty. Your coolant temp gauge displays just that, although it could be an idiot gauge.

Why would they try to sell you a coolant service if the first change is not due yet?

I can't stand service writers. They rarely know anything about cars and warp what the mechanic says when translating to the customer. Of course that's a blanket statement and there are good service writers but in general they are responsible for our industries terrible reputation.

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker

Why would they try to sell you a coolant service if the first change is not due yet?

Betcha it wasn't due for a tranny flush either.

My favorite part of the story was when the service writer admitted they don't get to see the paragraphs written on the online appointment form.

I know, that's just wrong. My absolute biggest complaint about service writers is they don't get enough information on problems. Here the customer spent a long time describing the problem and it was never delivered to the guy who needs it - the mechanic. It disgusts me really. I can't count how many times I've gotten completely useless, undescriptive write ups by service advisors. Like 'check noise' as the description. I drive the car and there are no abnormal noises obvious. Then the writer waits until 2:30 to call the customer for more information. By that time I can't get to the car until the next day.

Thanks for the write-up, I have had issues with every dealer. It is really a problem, I don't even trust them to do the work they say. A lot of people are at their mercy and the dealers know it so they continue like this. Please post a complaint with Hyundai if you get a chance.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
I know, that's just wrong. My absolute biggest complaint about service writers is they don't get enough information on problems. Here the customer spent a long time describing the problem and it was never delivered to the guy who needs it - the mechanic. It disgusts me really. I can't count how many times I've gotten completely useless, undescriptive write ups by service advisors. Like 'check noise' as the description. I drive the car and there are no abnormal noises obvious. Then the writer waits until 2:30 to call the customer for more information. By that time I can't get to the car until the next day.

Last time I was at a dealer, I described a noise to the service writer. He called a tech over to ride along. Between myself and the tech, we figured out the noise in 1 minute and the tech fixed it (well, lubricated the offender and told me how to fix it out of warranty if it re-occurs) along with the broken trunk release I was there for anyhow.

problem is that services writers are actually salespeople and work on commission. and some dealers wonder why customers dont use their services.

What do you think someone who purchases an Equus at the typical Hyundai dealership is going to think of this type of service?? They claim to drive to your house for the Equus but you will still get a similar answer which would be frustrating if you spend that type of money.

Rod

Originally Posted By: Rodraid
What do you think someone who purchases an Equus at the typical Hyundai dealership is going to think of this type of service?? They claim to drive to your house for the Equus but you will still get a similar answer which would be frustrating if you spend that type of money.

Rod

And you think the same ineptitude doesn't happen at a Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Caddy, or other "high end" dealer?

I can tell you this...it may happen at a Lexus dealer but I bet you don't get that same "taken to the cleaners" feeling!

One good thing about Lexus, their dealers are all top notch in my area.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I can tell you this...it may happen at a Lexus dealer but I bet you don't get that same "taken to the cleaners" feeling!

One good thing about Lexus, their dealers are all top notch in my area.

My local BMW dealer is excellent, but I have to drive nearly two hours to reach a good Mazda dealer. The two Louisville Mazda dealers are beyond hopeless.
When the Genesis Coupe came out I stopped by my nearest Hyundai dealer to take a look. I got the hard-sell "What can I do to put you in a car today?" pressure from the moment I stepped out of my car. And needless to say, my dog knew more about the Coupe than any of the sales droids.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.

Rod

And you think the same ineptitude doesn't happen at a Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Caddy, or other "high end" dealer?

I am sure the dealerships you listed have some that have issues but a lot of Hyundai's dealers are not up to par especially if you are dropping 45k - 60k on a car.

The issues with dealers hasn't stopped me from purchasing my last three cars from them though. I believe the deal I got on each car is worth the extra hassle of I have with them.

I also the Hyundai cars I have purchased are great cars.

Rod

Originally Posted By: Tim H.

Rod

Can't speak for those marques, but it's never happened to me at the Jaguar dealer.

The premium marques usually cover all routine maintenance and consumables as a matter of warranty, and will do other servces if you ask them. After I bought the Xj8, when the car had about 9 or 10K on it, the Jaguar dealer changed the tranny fluid in the ZF when I asked them, without charge, even though it is "lifetime" fluid.

My Pontiac dealer gives me quite a good customer experience as well, and actually sent techs out to my house when they were debugging my GTO after it got hit by lightning.

If you are getting a bad dealer experience, just go talk to the owner and sort it out. You can't do that at the Mega dealer type, but there will still be someone you can talk to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back