Today's hernia surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to modern medicine and techniques these surgeries are much easier than in the past..Self diagnosed an iguinal hernia Saturday. Had sugery today. Surgery at 7.30 home by 11. Sweet. Sore today. Some drugs. Back driving in 3-4 days. No lifting for 3 weeks.

Used to be no driving for 3-6 weeks and no lifting for 6 even months.

I anticipate the bill will more painful than the surgey given my deductable.

I've been there, 3 years ago. Right inguinal. Day surgery for me as well. The pain medication makes the recovery process pretty much a non-issue.

I was back to riding my mountain bike [gingerly] in a week. I can't find my surgery scar now.

in 85, I was 5, and I had a hernia. Small bump on my right front side. I always felt fine... must have pushed too hard or something
wink.gif

I recall not being able to walk up stairs for a while. had a small bandage over my stitches, which dissolved, and the bandage fell off.

Still have a scar.

Glad that it was fast. Here's to a speedy recovery!

JMH

Born with one, repaired at age 3 (don't remember). Another at 5, just do remember discomfort, being restricted at play. Both on right. At approx 45 bulge on left side. Repaired with patch, back to work in a week.

Bob

Had one repaired about 10 years ago... women don't look at me the same anymore though, oh well. Those drugs are nice as you can have this absolutely painlessly fixed.

Glad it went well. I had one 12 years ago. Instead of having the laproscopic I had the open incision. I had a tough time peeing so I didn't get out until later that evening. They gave me so much liquids I was on the potty all night. :)

I remember the bad thing during the healing process was sneezing.
frown.gif

I was walking the next day and slow running in a couple of days. Pretty easy operation actually.

I remember the surgeon saying that he was good, but that G0D would not allow the 'as repaired' strength to be better than 85% or so or origional.
LOL.gif

Last edited:
I think that almost everyone gets the mesh patch now. I just had an inquinal hernia surgery last Oct. Got the patch. In and out in less than 3 hours at an out-patient surgery clinic. Had same surgery in mid 70's and they kept me in the hospital for 3 days. I also recovered quickly. Modern medicine is great; but the cost is unGodly.

I've had four.

First two in '96 (inguinal) and the doctor didn't believe in using the mesh so I ended up with a reoccurance of one in '97 (L)and one in '06 (R).

No. The patch acts as the structure that your muscles will grow around for strength of repair.

I had a hernia repair about 5 years ago. Back in '94 I had testicular cancer, and one of my surgeries cut me from my sternum to well below my belly button, to get at 30 suspect lymph nodes.

A few years after that, I developed a hernia, and since it didn't bother me, I didn't really worry about it.

Once my former wife left, and I dropped 30 pounds, I thought I'd get that taken care of as well, so in November of 2003, I had it patched with the mesh.

I think they put 5-8 small holes in my abdomen to put various instruments in, the largest being no larger than the diameter of my small finger. Other openings were for suction, the camera they used, etc.

Far less painful than the abdominal opening in '94, and I should have done it much sooner.

For the first year or so, it would still bother me on occasions when I would laugh, where the mesh was tacked into me would pull. But now, I don't even know it's there, other than I no longer have the bulge in my abdomen.

I tried to get the to do my vasectomy at the same time, but the Dr said no-go.

I highly recommend that procedure as well, if you are done with making babies.

Tried to get the V at 1/2 price, since there was only one boy remaining to disconnect. Dr just laughed
LOL.gif

:) hmm... so likely after a while patch is not feelable... I discovered a bulge in my sidewall too, but I'm postponing this since i don't notice it unless I don't look into. No shimmy while running, yet :) I need to be in trouble for courage to an operation I think.

Bulge isn't really painful. Only time they're uncomfortable is when you sneeze, or hickup and part of intestines protrude through inner wall and against outer skin. Then you have to push em back in.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back