Today's Car Fun...

2017 Forester. In for oil change and differential fluid. Oil change was fine. Dealer covered the cost of broken wheel stud broken when new tires installed a month or so ago. The tech found the front differential a quart overfilled and the plug stripped. Last June had an independent shop check the diffs (said they were full and clean) and that was the last they were touched. Taking the wheel off to get to the diff plug ANOTHER lug bolt broken. That's 2 in about a month. But this time the tire store was the last place to touch the lugs. So, email to the mechanic a year ago asking about the stripped plug and covering it. Are these wheel studs really this bad?

How about overfilling a front diff on a CVT model? Do they have vent holes or could overfilling damage something?
It depends how much they overfilled :unsure:

The CVT front diffs have a check plug that starts weeping when it's full. It's possible that they never removed it in the first place, so they wouldn't know when it's full when refilling.

It's possible you could just remove the check plug and drain it until it's down to a slow drain/drip

Also, why aren't mechanics as anal as I am, an amateur?
Flat rate :poop:

I'll have to watch for that. It does seem my techs and I actually set the torque properly, so no problems so far.
There is some rumor that the issue is more prevalent on the newer ones after they bumped the torque spec.

Back