Today in 1942 FDR lowered the minimum draft age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Burt
The number of years that the U.S. has had an active draft is a lot less than most people would think. The union had a draft during the civil war, but you could pay a penalty and opt out.

Up until 1973. I served with the last of the draftees as some became lifers and were near retirement by the early 1990's...

I was one of those lifers, US NAVY 1971-93 Retired.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Hitler also raised the max age, too. I you can stand up and hold a rifle you were "good-to-go".

In Russia women were also "good-to-go". One of the most feared snipers in WWII was a Russian woman.

Basically 8-80 if they cant walk, drag em. Even if if they cant walk stick them on a roof top laying down. LOL

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Burt
The number of years that the U.S. has had an active draft is a lot less than most people would think. The union had a draft during the civil war, but you could pay a penalty and opt out.

Up until 1973. I served with the last of the draftees as some became lifers and were near retirement by the early 1990's...

I was one of those lifers, US NAVY 1971-93 Retired.
11.gif

The last Vietnam era draftee serving on active duty retired last month. Chief Warrant Officer 5 Ralph Rigby served for 42 years in the Army.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/armys-vietnam-era-draftee-retires-26703465

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
42 years!!!

Big salute for his service.

Yeah when I heard he served for 42 years on Active Duty my jaw dropped and a few expletives flew out of my mouth.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
42 years!!!

Big salute for his service.

Yeah when I heard he served for 42 years on Active Duty my jaw dropped and a few expletives flew out of my mouth.

It would be interesting to learn how he adjusts to his new life.

It would be interesting if USA had another draft. The protests would be worse now than 40 yrs ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back