To the South Pole... by tractor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
If she gets stuck, "Mighty 'D'" will be on the way to save the day! (Though without a cab, it might be a little chilly).

Ha, ha, you'll need a bit more than an enclosed cab, my friend. It is interesting that they were able to take basically a stock tractor, modify it, and run it to the South Pole. Some of the modifications were serious, but still, it's just a modified tractor. At least that's my take on it.

This little story got me to thinking about all the things people do these days that when I was young would have required serious effort by government or large industry. These days ordinary folks can do the most amazing things.

Sir Edmund Hillary took 3 TEA Fergies to the South Pole in 1958.

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo/dash-pole-tractors

Ferguson_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. And, this text is on the MF site about the oil: Engineering the Ultimate Polar Tractor

If the engine stops for prolonged periods in sub-zero temperatures, the oil - which has been supplied by Castrol - becomes too viscous, making it almost impossible to re-start. So the engineers added Webasto technology and glycol tubes around the engine and transaxle to maintain the oil temperature. They also developed metallic protection around the engine and transaxle to conserve their thermal energy. And they chose an engine oil specifically designed for high performance in very low temperatures

Kevin

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
If she gets stuck, "Mighty 'D'" will be on the way to save the day! (Though without a cab, it might be a little chilly).

Ha, ha, you'll need a bit more than an enclosed cab, my friend.

Especially since after leaving lovely Racine Wisconsin, it's spent it's entire life under the Florida sun and has been "modified" over the years to deal with heat and bottomless sand. Now a trip through the Sahara - no problem.

If I recall correctly, when Scott tried for the South Pole back in 1912, he tried using motorize sledges which I'm guessing would be like an early snowmobile/tractor. These failed, as did his Siberian ponies, as did he and his companions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back