To run or not to run the A/C?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often should I run the A/C compressor? I always go back and forth between running it (keeping it lubed from what I've read) and not running it to save gas. My Honda has the auto climate system, and from what I've heard, if you have it on Auto, it will always run the compressor. I don't want that, but I don't want to have to manually turn it on/off all the time, either.

So any ideas on how often, at minimum, it needs to be run to maintain lubrication? Or should I just set it on Auto and forget it?

TIA

For R-134a systems running PAG oil or similar, I typically run my A/C all year long once every week to 10 days, for approx. 10~15mins, rain or shine. This is to properly lubricate all the internal mechanical components to minimise seizure.

Moove farther south, won't be a question in the summer.
crackmeup.gif

Bob

A/C systems don't see much use for long periods of time during the winter up here, and they're not a frequent maintenance issue. I think once a month should be plenty.

In my car's manual it says to run the A/C at least once a week to keep it in tip-top shape
smile.gif

EDIT: D'oh, Quest beat me to it
smile.gif

Last edited:
If you're just cruising down the highway, you'll actually break even on running the A/C and having the windows open. You may actually save gas with the A/C.

I don't think this would be the case with constant start/stop city driving, however.

I'm told on an Accord forum that if you run the HVAC system on full-auto, the compressor runs constantly. I don't want to do that, but I'd like to use full auto just for convenience, or laziness.
tongue.gif

If it cycles on and off as needed, I'm cool with that (pun intended).

Quote:

I don't want to have to manually turn it on/off all the time, either.

Can you still turn it on or off manually if you wanted to? Myself, I don't like automatic climate control and glad I don't have it; it just adds more complexity to a car that I find unnecessary, like heated seats for example. I just turn mine to full cold and adjust the fan speed as needed; I don't find it any trouble at all. If I don't have the A/C on, I'll be running the fan that pulls the outside air in. I rarely have the windows down; my GM car has weak window regulators, so I try not to use them at all unless it's absolutely necessary.

It seems I may have been subconsciously influenced by my Pathfinder's owner's manual. I know I had read this before, but forgot about it on my previous post. The Pathfinder's compressor never turns on automatically, and the manual says:

"The air conditioning system should be operated for about ten minutes at least once a month. This helps prevent damage to the system due to lack of lubrication."

Quote:

Quote:

I don't want to have to manually turn it on/off all the time, either.

Can you still turn it on or off manually if you wanted to? Myself, I don't like automatic climate control and glad I don't have it; it just adds more complexity to a car that I find unnecessary, like heated seats for example. I just turn mine to full cold and adjust the fan speed as needed; I don't find it any trouble at all. If I don't have the A/C on, I'll be running the fan that pulls the outside air in. I rarely have the windows down; my GM car has weak window regulators, so I try not to use them at all unless it's absolutely necessary.

Yes, it can be turned off manually. If I hit the A/C button from Full Auto, it displays "A/C Off".

During winter months I run my A/C when taking an offramp off the interstate and when driving down hill on the highway. I do this every several days and haven't noticed any decrease in my average 43mpg winter fuel economy. In summer wx, I shut off my a/c when going up hill or accelerating and run it on low setting only on flat stretches of road and still manage to get 46mpg in the summer

Quote:

I'm told on an Accord forum that if you run the HVAC system on full-auto, the compressor runs constantly.

IF it is a variable-displacement compressor that is most likely true but only IF the controls determine that the compressor is really needed. On my Saab 93 the ac compressor will not come on if I increase the set temperature above the current cabin temperature--there would be no point to that.

Around here in the winter you only run the ac in the afternoons so it isn't much of an issue. That being said, I certainly wouldn't go over a month without turning it on.

Quote:

It seems I may have been subconsciously influenced by my Pathfinder's owner's manual. I know I had read this before, but forgot about it on my previous post. The Pathfinder's compressor never turns on automatically, and the manual says:

"The air conditioning system should be operated for about ten minutes at least once a month. This helps prevent damage to the system due to lack of lubrication."

If your vehicle's owner's manual doesn't have this statement it's a safe bet that the HVAC system cycles the compressor in defrost mode, regardless of whether you have automatic climate control or not. Most newer vehicles operate in this fashion and it's easy to find out:

Open the hood with engine idling.

Have a helper turn the controls to defrost and fan on.

Watch/listen to the compressor clutch.

If it clicks and engages the compressor cycles automatically in defrost mode which would negate running the A/C manually in winter unless you never use defrost mode.

If your vehicle has a separate condenser cooling fan you may even be rewarded with that fan cycling on/off or staying on. That's also another indication that the compressor cycles in defrost.

Even my low buck Civic VP operates in this fashion. It serves two important functions. It keeps the seals lubricated plus the compressor helps to dehumidify the cabin.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm told on an Accord forum that if you run the HVAC system on full-auto, the compressor runs constantly.

No. The compressor cycles on and off. So do the fans.

Well there you go LouDawg, now you don't have to worry about wearing your compressor out; just set it and forget it.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back