To RTV, or not to RTV

Ok cool. I've heard somewhere that Honda doesn't even offer a pan gasket for their cars; that you have to use Hylomar by itself.
A Honda would not use Hylomar, it would use something like Ultra Flange II or perhaps Hondabond depending on what the latest TSB shows.

It depends, my old Accord uses a gasket and it's still available from Honda. The OEM pan is designed with the protrusions to limit the gasket compression.

However, there are aftermarket pans available that don't have the protrusions and those are for RTV.
Fair enough, but let's just say stuff built within the last 15-20 years.

I would use a bit of RTV on the pan side in few spots just to hold the gasket in place. Grease would probably do the same but I never tried that. Maybe next time, but RTV worked for me.
Super Glue also works. It works phenomenal for valve cover gaskets - just use a few dots in a few spots.

Hylomar ? I thought that was an anaerobic sealer? No anaerobic sealer is meant for "gaskets", it is to be used on "active" metal like iron and steel, if used on an inactive metal like aluminum you need to use the primer to make it active. Just like thread locker needs lack of air to work that is how this sealer works, and it never hardens in air. A gasket would contain a certain amount of air.

Many rubber pan gaskets in the aftermarket have smaller holes to hold the bolts in place. I never dealt with one, they go into the round file in place of the OE cork gasket or RTV.

I had to use something to steady a rubber gasket in place, it’s a bit of rubber cement/weatherstrip adhesive/contact cement.

Back