To Motorguard or Frantz that is the question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjo

Dear Fellow Bypass Filterers:

I'm interested in knowing the strengths and weaknesses in comparing maintenance of Frantz vs Motorguard. For those that have tried both - if you were to purchase another one which brand would you choose and why? Which design allows for easier removal and installation of the element? Is there a particular model that outperforms the other? Thanks.

You really dont need a bypass filter on that. Unless it's diesel a bypass on a gasser is a waste of money.

DieselTech, thanks I'll consider that.

Anyone have an opinion of Frantz vs. Motorguard?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjo
DieselTech, thanks I'll consider that.

Anyone have an opinion of Frantz vs. Motorguard?

I'd take the frantz since its designed to be an oil filter, whereas the motorguard is intended to be an air filter. Not saying the MG wouldn't work, just that the frantz is already there, so to speak.

Both, assuming the TP is installed correctly, will provide the same level of filtration.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
What are you planning to do with such a filtration setup on a GM 4 cylinder motor?

Cost benefit is going to be out the window.

He wants to add a filter. Does he need to prove a cost benefit to do that? Not everyone needs to justify a cost/benefit to do something, they just want to do it.

Its like adding a set of chrome wheels to your car, you pay for those wheels; but you get nothing out of them in the long haul (but the car might look better in your opinion, and that's all that matters).

I have a motorguard bypass and really like it. Because the split is in the middle, I feel it would not leak as much oil when changing it as compared to the Frantz. I may be wrong .

What are you planning to do with such a filtration setup on a GM 4 cylinder motor?

BTW, I did not elicit your opinion as to why I should install a bypass filter on this engine - my mind
is made up. It worked great on my '95 Saturn and the engine on that car still runs like new.

There are several reasons why I will be installing this. Yes I know that this engine will not produce
as much soot as a diesel engine. But it will catch any dirt missed by the air filter. Keeping the oil
extra polished can only help in increasing gas mileage and help recoup some of the cost. It extends
oil life by preventing some of the (sacrificial) additives from being used up - such as antiwear and
antiacid additives.

A TP filter like the motorguard and Frantz is much more use than just a micronic oil filter.
In addition it is a:
- dessicant for the oil and thus removes acids
- a diagnostic tool to give the operator a hint of coolant leaks or extra engine wear.
- keeps the full flow filter cleaner so that I won't have to replace it as often.

It will allow me to recoup the cost by prolonging oil life, engine life, full flow filter life and it
will improve gas mileage. It allows for some extra monitoring of engine conditions. Also, as
deeter16317 pointed out I am also doing this because it makes a great conversation piece.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317

He wants to add a filter. Does he need to prove a cost benefit to do that? Not everyone needs to justify a cost/benefit to do something, they just want to do it.

Its like adding a set of chrome wheels to your car, you pay for those wheels; but you get nothing out of them in the long haul (but the car might look better in your opinion, and that's all that matters).

Exactly. And also because the bypass filters on my old car that still runs worked fantastic!

For anyone up to 12k/year, it can reduce costs to 4 rolls of tp and 4 quart of oil. It will take time to recover the cost of the hardware.

How does the TP remove water once it is saturated with oil?

How does the TP remove acid from the oil, acid is neutralized not removed from the oil and since the oil is passing through the TP the oil is passing over anything caught in the TP so the additives will react with anything in the filter.

I would guarantee you will never see the increase in MPGs.

I doubt there will be an increase in full flow filter life , the full flow catches larger debris.

Wi

The TP removes only a few ounces of water once saturated with oil, the TP prevents the formations of acids by removing the water.

The increase in MPG will be tiny, but there will be a tiny increase in MPG since by keeping the oil clean friction is reduced therefore increasing the MPG, the increase in MPG would probably be difficult to actually measure in regular driving conditions.

The important thing is not so much the tiny increase in MPG but keeping the engine clean prolongs its life saving money in repairs since there is less were on the engine.

There will be also a small increase in full flow filter life, since the bypass filter will also catch some of the larger particles.

The saving in the bypass filter will be in prolonging the oil life by keeping it clean and the engine life due to running on very clean oil, and preventing the formation of sludge.

also it increases the capacity of oil by 1 quart, so if an engine has a 4 quart capacity, with the bypass it will be a capacity of 5 quarts making the oil last longer and helping cooling it down a little, in this example it would be a 25% capacity increase in oil.

Interested in pics when you get it done. Looking at a ecotec for the next car. Where are you going to get oil from, and where are you going to put it back?

Clean Oil Reduces Engine Fuel Consumption

There was a study done that found that by reducing oil contamination by 98 percent fuel economy increased 5 percent on a particular six-cylinder diesel. Assuming I keep the vehicle for 200k miles, if I realized a fuel savings of at least 1% the fuel savings alone would pay for the bypass filter and all the fittings and hoses. Plus I get to transplant the filter and fittings on another car when I get tired of this car. Filter canisters last forever (I bought original Frantz models on Ebay made before the 70s that still have the original logo on them)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shaman
Interested in pics when you get it done. Looking at a ecotec for the next car. Where are you going to get oil from, and where are you going to put it back?

Shaman,

There are oil galley plugs all over this engine - the trick is finding the one with enough flow. I heard that most of them in the head are after a 0.040" restrictor and are off limits if I don't want to starve the head. I will try to relocate the oil pressure sender to the head and use the oil pressure sender port as a feed and the oil cap as a return. I'm also considering playing with a Shurflo gear pump to make a prelube pump for the engine. My goal is to have them mounted so that they are right there in front of me when I pop the hood. If I have time for this, prelube pump will be fed from a secondary reservoir (not from the oil pan).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back