To large of a cooler?

I am curious...
Can a cooler be to large for a transmission or engine oil?
I have one, a Hayden by the looks of it, with 1 inch pipes, "tanks" on each end and I'd guess 1/2 on the outside cross tubes.
Looks like some for a semi tractor.

What are you going to put it in?

I have a 3.5L gas V6 SUV and I installed a cooler sized for a Class B motorhome. Mounted it downstream of OE cooler for maximum cooling effect. I have a dash mounted temp gauge and it's "just right."

Post a pic of it and your desired application because there's too little info for people to be really helpful. Also, different types of coolers have a different level of exchange efficiency, that's a variable you must account for, too - not just overall size.

Engine oil, yes, it can be too large (not enough heat to burn off moisture & fuel). ATF, other than maybe an incremental loss of MPG, IMHO it can never be cooled off too much (unless it's -40F/C out)!

I was thinking that synthetic oil was in it's prime around the 220-245 fahrenheit range. If it is for hauling or racing than not much concern. I think atf follows a similar path but with different heat ranges but it's said that every 10 degree drop is a major improvement in life.

It's going in a 6.5 turbo diesel with a 4l80. Either oil or transmission.
Not sure how much you’re going to tow, but my ‘93 C3500 SRW 6.2 diesel 4L80E never really topped 210F, with a B&M aftermarket pan, Hayden aftermarket cooler, and factory radiator ATF cooler. Due to only being a 6.2 NA IDI, I never towed over 6K with it, but a full synthetic ATF like Redline D4, or even Dexron VI would allow higher temps without damage (I only ran standard Dex III).

Back