to go to dealer for warranty or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ive never had a new car so i guess i don't really know what to expect and what to think is acceptable to warranty and what isnt. My seat has a wear spot and i guess i am surprised that in 10 months and 15,000 miles there is already a spot of wear. What would you guys do?

jjw9sh.jpg

I think that's called "wear and tear". I suspect they just used cheap cloth and that's just how it goes. Last time I really shopped for cars, I noticed big differences in cloth seats and carpet in the base models.
I wouldn't bother talking to the dealer until near the end of the bumper to bumper warranty and presumably it looks much worse. They might do something for a hole in the seat, but maybe not. Maybe get a better seat from the wreckers?

Take it to a dealer if you want. The worst they could say is no, and you'll be in exactly the same situation you are now.

Your photo link needs a close bracket at the end --> ]

Cheap stuff now...my 27 year old car is only now showing driver's seat bottom wear.

I would take it to the dealer. If nothing comes out of it, at least you might be on a list of unhappy customers that will get the manufactures to change. Ed

I agree as well to take it in. There's no way imo the seats in a car that new should already be wearing out.

Ford will make the call, the dealer has nothing to do with the decision.
The seat cover is a prior approval item, pictures will have to be submitted, not only of the seat but the whole car. Clean it up before you take it in.

Can you highlight the wear I don't see any actual wear in that photo. More like a deformed spot from having a large butt that sits on the edge of the seat instead of the middle.

Maybe I have lower standards (or poor vision,) but that wear looks normal to me, and worry that you'll be turned away by the dealer. Like others have said, I'd wait until just before the warranty expires, just in case the seat cover is revised or a coating is applied or something.

If you happen be nearby or are having them perform maintenance anyway, then by all means let them know. You may be the last guy they need to indicate a problem.

I need to let my dealer know about my cracking leather seats in the Subaru. They're really not looking to good after only 20 months of ownership.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I agree as well to take it in. There's no way imo the seats in a car that new should already be wearing out.

Take it in NOW. That way if this is a trait of the poor quality of material, the seating cloth material should be expected to last the lifetime of the car over 125k miles on average 12 years, that is merchantability of goods. When you take it in be businesslike, polite, but firm that this is NOT acceptable wear considering the lifetime expectation of the vehicle. Tell them you want it replaced with a new seat cover, ask them if there is a TSB which might have a improved quality covering available for the replacement.

If it fails again within the warranty period it will push them to replace again because it would seem apparent that the material is not up to snuff.

I'd take it in and see what they can do for you.

No matter what they say, grab a seat cover.

It goes in tomorrow for the strut popping again they put a new quick strut in it and its doing it again from the same spot it sounds like.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
The spot is on the side bolster on the seat back

Ah, I wasn't even looking there; I see it now. I was focusing on the seat bolster, where I'm having issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back