To cut or not to cut...that is the question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oil filter Nerdiness made me buy this off of ebay last week....I could use it on the gf's ford focus or some ope engines.....or cut it....im dying to see whats in it lol......you guys tell me what to do
smile.gif
....or if you have any info on it lets hear it...who makes it?..i will admit it is pretty
smile.gif
lol

The box has a copyright date of 1996 printed on it - pretty old stock. Don't see those round gasket oil filters too much anymore.

I'd put 3k on it with clearance oil. It is plastic wrapped and synthetic. I am sure it will be fine for a short run.

Kinda cool, but I might be able to save you the trouble of cutting it open if you're thinking of using it.

'The' much cited 'minimopar' filter study has all you might want to know. Looks like it was made by Donaldson, and looks to be solid filter that didn't hang around long.

The minimopar filter study/dissections is one of the original filter dissections. Though it's dated now it's one of the first I ever read, and liked. Pretty sure Fram folks didn't think much of it though.
56.gif

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/reference.html#harddriver

That filter looks like it would have been perfectly fine to use. Would have worked nicely in my Tacoma. Though a bit of overkill, it would have worked on my Kohler engine lawn mower too. The extra rubber grommet on the coil spring is different. Nice filter.

Ya coulda used it...but I have lots of "3614" stuff...I bought it out of curiosity..learn somethin new everyday...gonna go on office bookshelf next to the other new cut filters
smile.gif

I would've run that for an OCI..
I acquired a box of really old Group 7 filters (equiv to 51516), I ran them in my old Taurus, no problems..but I wouldn't have used it on my '12 Fusion!

Last edited:
Seems well ahead of its time. How was the ADBV?

If you had a case of these, I would run without hesitation. Blindly just running the one would have kept me awake at night.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Nice filter, way ahead of its time in the consumer product lines.

My thought as well.

High quality construction.

So who built it for Peak?

Donaldson?

How does this compare to an Amsoil filter from the period?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back