to clean pcv valve or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure exactly how important this valves function is,but i just removed mine ball still moves up and down,so i just sprayed lots of brake cleaner inside,booth ways. dID I JUST COMPLETELY WASTE MY TIME OR WILL THIS HELP .SORRY FOR CAPS LOCK, my bad

If its moving you're good.

Why not just delete and retype instead of apologizing for the caps lock? Even your apology is in capitals. Kids these days...

Cleaning them with brake cleaner is good, it depends though, how many miles are on it?

They play a fairly important role.. venting crank case pressure.(PCV=positive crankcase ventilation) Its probably good practice to replace them every 30-60k miles, preferably with a OEM one, the springs in them will get weak over time and they will not function correctly. If one gets stuck closed, it could lead to oil leaks, if one gets stuck open could cause a vacuum leak and lead to misfires. Just my 2 cents.

Forget the caps lock. The puncuation and sentence structure... Come on man. Sorry to pick on you, but d@mn.

Originally Posted By: tacoguy714
Not sure exactly how important this valves function is,but i just removed mine ball still moves up and down,so i just sprayed lots of brake cleaner inside,booth ways. dID I JUST COMPLETELY WASTE MY TIME OR WILL THIS HELP .SORRY FOR CAPS LOCK, my bad

im 48

im 48

Ok. Please strike my comment about the kids from the record.

If yours can be replaced for renew the part that will last 100k miles? It's the only way you'll know for sure that it's working PROPERLY.

Last edited:
thats exactly my revised plan, because i realized unless i soaked it for a few hours or overnight it probably wont work to specs

I have always checked mine and never had issue. Only thing I can think of that has kept one from going out on me is I use 4 oz of redline si-1 once a week, drive mostly interstate and use only synthetic oil which helps with burn off. I do check it and throttle body every oil change. If you throttle body has lots of gunk you might need to check both pcv and egr also.

They are usually cheap enough to replace and not bother with cleaning and worry about proper functioning.

Its not just the cleanliness aspect that allows the the PCV to function properly its the spring inside.
Like any other spring it weakens with use. Replace.

Unless you have a PCV like the one in my 2013 5.3L GM in my Silverado. It is not a replaceable PCV valve, it is part of the the valve cover itself. I suppose one could replace the entire valve cover.

I've come across some new pcv valve (non oem) that allowed air through both ends, albeit a lower amount on one side, but still, it should be nil.

I have a 96 Camry that started using a bit more oil the last oil change. On a hunch, I pulled the PCV this past weekend.

The Fram PCV, that was replaced LAST YEAR, was shot. This is the 1st PCV I've had that has completely quit working.

I replaced it with a Puro PCV. What was odd, however, was the Puro was at least 50% larger than the Fram. I actually went back into AAP to do a 2nd cross check, and the Puro and Fram were correct for my application. Kind of wierd...

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Cleaning and 're use is fine, but just order a new one and replace it. It's cheap

+1 You can order OEM on rockauto for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back