To Change or not to change..

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Silverado is going to the mountains again here in another month or so, and like every year im torn on the oil change, I changed it about this time last year and im currently just under 5,000 miles. 1,500 TO 1,800 of those miles were put on last fall for this same trip, mostly highway however much up the trip is chugging up and down the foothills and through the mountain areas, Frankly it starts getting Hilly as soon as you cross over into Kentucky.. the othe 3,000 miles have been winter, 4x4, pulling a light trailer with ATV'S etc.. so not exactly gravy miles, maybe not extreme but harder than unloaded summer driving.
My intent was to dump the Mobil 1 SYN out of it in another couple of weeks and start over, i know the oils not done however its been a year and its getting ready to go back to the mountains again (1,500 1,800) round trip.. if i wait its going to have right at 7,000 on the clock however most of that is 70-80mph in the hills

The BITOG in me says "HECK WITH IT" run it up to 7,000 My conservative side says "C-mon youv used it a year" Dump it..

Run it and dump it ? or dump it and start my year over (and my vacation) with fresh in the sump ??

Im not worried, im just voicing my thoughts.. what say you ?

My Volt doesn't run the engine very often, and GM recommends changing after 2 years if you don't run the OLM down to zero. Since yours is only a year, I'd stick with it until you hit 7500.

After a year and ~5K, I'd change it.
I recently got two jugs of M1 for $10.00 each after MIR, for example and M1 jugs were recently twenty two bucks and change at Walmart, so it's not like you'd be spending a bunch.
GM does recommend OLM zero or a year, whichever comes first, although the OLM and the year assume the use of an API dino.

OLM is at 17% its at 4,600 or 4,800 on the current fill, color is light amber. Its darker than when it was poured in however its not what i would call dirty.. truck just turned over 80,000 original miles.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
you've got synthetic oil and a high quality filter? I'd let it ride.

+1. You're a BITOGER. Nothing bad will happen. As soon as you get back from your trip you can change it.

Regards, JC.

the "nea's" are beating the
"Yea's"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wog
Run it to 7500 ,then do a uoa . See what you have.

Wouldn't it just be as cheap to just change it???

I was in the same situation. I changed it, relaxed, and enjoyed my trip to Colo, Ariz, and NM. Just got back from it today.

It is just motor oil. You're not buying a house or choosing a wife (or a dog).

I change my own oil, and always shop for deals. Not worth the angst your expending on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
you've got synthetic oil and a high quality filter? I'd let it ride.

+1. You're a BITOGER. Nothing bad will happen. As soon as you get back from your trip you can change it.

Regards, JC.

+2

Change when you get back..a truck going up hills is no stress. My weak Corolla dealing with hills is another story..

I run 10-12k on M1 never less(same truck). But it looks like you barely run that truck. If you're only going a mile a day change now but if you drive an hour every week or two let it go until after the trip. And my UOA's are great.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Wait until you get back. Mobil 1 in a modern GM V8 can go 7500 miles easily.

I agree with that.

With less than 7500 on M1 syn in that truck, you can easily make that trip with room (oil life) to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back