To change or not to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Valvoline for a number of years, with good results. But I read on here, that Castrol GTX it a very good oil, with moly. I e-mailed Valvoline, and asked them why they don't have it, and they said they put it in there com. oil. But for pass. cars they put in another product that is easier to blend and does the same thing. So was wondering if I should change to Castrol, for the moly, although like I said I have done real well with the Valvoline, change oil and filter every 5,000 miles and don't use any oil, maybe a half pint in 5,000. miles

What do the used oil analysis results tell you, assuming you've done some? If everything is in check, then why "shock" the engine by switching to another oil?

I would tend to agree. Check the oil analysis section for oil comparisons. I believe in general that the Castrol may be a better oil-but thats only an opinion. If you are going to switch I would do an analysis or two with the Valvoline first.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I would tend to agree. Check the oil analysis section for oil comparisons. I believe in general that the Castrol may be a better oil-but thats only an opinion. If you are going to switch I would do an analysis or two with the Valvoline first.

That is a good point, and something we tend to overlook on here. In looking for new oils, many people don't have any data on their current oil, so it's hard to compare if you've changed to something better for your engine or not.

In general, it seems like the Castrol does better than the Valvoline, although there really haven't been too many Valvoline reports. I've run the Durablend product in my F150's - it did very well in one, not so good in the other (higher mileage total on truck, colder weather, not garaged, and more short tripping). I've run the All Climate 10w30 in my Jeep, and the numbers were so-so, although TBN retention was excellent, it had almost sheared back to a 20w oil, which is to atypical for most dino oils these day.

Unless you are having problems with the Valvoline, either mechanically or by oil analysis, no real good reason to change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back