To analyze or not to analyze? 2012 Mazda5

Recently picked up a 2012 Mazda5 6MT with the 2.5L L5-VE engine. Deciding whether to do regular oil analysis on it. Wanted to see what you all think.

I'm leaning toward doing UOAs on a couple of early OCIs to see if I can safely stretch the OCI out to once yearly.

But what to do after that? Continue or not?

I'm thinking I'd continue if and only if there's a known problem with this engine that oil analysis can detect, AND that's worth catching and fixing as early as possible.

On my M3, this is a no-brainer. Complete engine rebuild/replacement is very expensive, and swapping in a used engine isn't a great option, so it's well worth trying to get ahead of any developing issues.

For the Mazda5, engine rebuild/replacement is much cheaper, and used engines are more palatable. If mine did show excess wear on a UOA, I might just keep driving anyway until the engine developed running issues or started smoking heavily or something, and then replace the whole thing. Given that, regular oil analysis seems like a waste of time and money.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
We have a 2012 Mazda 5, and t has been excellent. It gets oil and filter every 5K. It currently has 141K. I run 0-20 Synthetic. It never uses any between changes. Planning on keeping it till Mazda decides to make it again.

We have a 2012 Mazda 5, and t has been excellent. It gets oil and filter every 5K. It currently has 141K. I run 0-20 Synthetic. It never uses any between changes. Planning on keeping it till Mazda decides to make it again.
I had a 2014 CX5. It was an outstanding vehicle. LOVED it!

If I'm not mistaken that 2.5 engine is an MZR (not a Skyactive)....if so it's very easy on oil and very durable too (so is the Skyactive). I'd say you could do an annual OCI if you're doing less than 10K and half being highway miles. If it's a lot of city miles I'd do 7K max.

PS: To answer your question....I wouldn't waste my money on more than one UOA (if even that) as "it's a very easy on oil motor and very durable too" with normal maintenance.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken that 2.5 engine is an MZR (not a Skyactive)
Correct.

....if so it's very easy on oil and very durable too (so is the Skyactive). I'd say you could do an annual OCI if you're doing less than 10K and half being highway miles. If it's a lot of city miles I'd do 7K max.

PS: To answer your question....I wouldn't waste my money on more than one UOA (if even that) as "it's a very easy on oil motor and very durable too" with normal maintenance.
Good to know. Thanks.

Back