TN working to get another auto plant, Audi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the VW plant in Chattanooga, TN. Audi is considering coming here to TN. possibly to Chattanooga.
We also have the Nissan plant in Smyrna, TN.
Nissan headquarters moved to Franklin, TN
We lost out on a Toyota plant in MS a few years ago.
I believe the Saturn plant is reopening up soon.
But there are a couple of cities identified as a possible auto plant in TN. The foreign carmarkers are looking at the South to build their cars/trucks.

I find this quote interesting..

Government incentive packages would be expected to have considerable influence on any future auto plant deals, along with practical considerations such as which sites provide access to the most skilled and educated workers, said David Cole, chairman emeritus of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Any new plants built by foreign-owned automakers “probably would go somewhere in the South,” Cole said. “Most would not consider Michigan, even though the United Auto Workers is not that difficult to deal with now.”

Right-to-work laws that prevail in the South make the region more appealing to the import auto companies, though the quality of the available “workforce is now the dominant factor” when a company pulls the trigger on picking a site, Cole said.

“Auto assembly is no longer a job for high school dropouts. Jobs are scarce, and education requirements have gone up dramatically. Workers are expected to have at least an associate’s (two-year college) degree,” he said.

TN sets sights on auto plant, Audi!

Last edited:
Add the weather, and the South looks nicer than Michigan.

Look at the local schools/facilities/etc, and Michigan starts to look just as appealing. Plus all the skilled assembly workers unable to relocate, and the proximity to suppliers, and Michigan just might have a chance.

Kinda funny that we're now the "offshore" site for the European makes. Globalization's a funny thing!

Id imagine Michigan originally got the job because of proximity to two major markets, water access, ability to take in by water raw materials from Canada, Pennsylvania steel, etc.

Do those things make it into cars? I wouldnt doubt that even if the cars are made in US, are made with American steel. I dont know...

Lots of news lately about car manufacturers building or re-purposing plants for new car projects in the American midwest and south.

Something else I remembered. I'm originally from Memphis,TN. Fedex world headquarters/hub is in Memphis, TN. I read somewhere you can reach 80% of the country from Memphis, TN in one day's drive. East coats/west coast it didn't matter. So strategically, there's alot to be said about shipping stuff from/to suppliers in the south.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I read somewhere you can reach 80% of the country from Memphis, TN in one day's drive.

Im sure you can hit 80% of the country's population (Richmond to Boston corridor, Houston, Atlanta, Jacksonville). in a day's drive from Detroit too. Of course it depends on if a day's drive is 8 or 10 hours or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back