TIVO: anyone use it?

Hear a lot about it, but it’s not free. Girlfriend was asking, but she loves Amazon as we have way too much to watch and way better than cable. Anyone here use it?

Heard of it and never used it. Are they still in business?

Funny I have a few WD Live TV boxes that connected to a hard drive to watch movies. Used to use it religiously. I actually hooked it up to the new TCL TV I bought on cyber monday and turned it on for 5 mins. Much easier these days with Netflix and prime to stream something. Just like dvd and BluRay who wants to get a movie out of a case wait for it to load. We've been spoiled with streaming.

😂 I just bought this a week ago as I needed another Android box.

Tivos are great if you watch a lot of OTA programming, want to DVR and want the traditional programming guide that you get with cable/satellite. Channel Master is the place to buy it.

My Brother has been a Long Time Tivo user. Last year he got us a Bolt Vox, and a Mini to replace 2 cable boxes.
it was a bit hit or miss getting things up and Running, Spectrum sent us out a self install kit, but getting ahold of the right person on their end that knows how to provision the Cable Card and Tuning adapter was... time consuming.
we'd never had a DVR before, but I quickly got the hang of it...my elderly parents on the other hand, don't have a clue how to do anything other than watch live TV. they don't know how to get into the recordings to watch them, even after a year of ownership...

the Bolt has 4 Tuners, (watch one show/ record 3 others, etc) and the Mini Connects over your home (wired) network to your main Tivo, not requiring it's own cable Feed/ tuning adapter/etc, it just slaves off the main unit, using one of it's tuners.
when i got my tax refund this spring, I bought myself a Mini for my Bedroom, b/c using the spectrum app on my Xbox was too much of a Faff...
when they want to connect, everything is golden. however, in the morning I often find the Mini's not able to find the main box on the network, the only solution i've found being Rebooting the main box. there is not a way to remotely Reboot the Box. you have to go to the unit and do it "manually"
after it comes back up, everything is Golden.

now, the company itself.... has gone through several mergers/acquisitions/CEO Changes over the past few years, and it seems that they can't make up their mind about what they want to be.
for years, the big draw of Tivo, was that you could skip Commercials.... you Still can, but they started adding commercials to the beginnings of you r recordings earlier this year. you can still skip them with one button push, but...annoying.
they unveiled the own slate of free streaming Channels, under the TiVo+ banner, and push it HARD. including ads in the channel guide, that look like a Channel in your line up if your not paying attention.
no way to get rid of it.
and in their Channel guide, you can't trust the "new" Flag on shows. to an almost Comical Level.

also, Spectrum(my lovely cable provider/ISP) has their own Regional news Channel, Spectrum news 1, with "Local" affilates across the country ( mine is based out of Columbus, 100 mi away...) but no matter where you are as a spectrum customer in the US, the Tivo Guide refers to that Channel as "Spectrum news SF Valley" as in San Fernando Valley, AKA "Silicon Valley", where TiVo is based.....

Nope never heard of it. I must be one of the few left that has cable. I never get to watch tv because my dad hogs it all the time watching either the news or some boring show.

Ha, mine is over 10 years old and not really compatible with new TVS. Still works but kind of useless. With so much via streaming I would think it is struggling.

I have a TIVO/cable box through my cable provider. I enrolled simply for the DVR that it offers. It's not cheap and is the most expensive item on my utility bill. Utilities where I live are all under one provider other than natural gas. It works perfectly but I am rethinking it due to the monthly cost. Seems like I watch You Tube 95% of the time but do enjoy recorded shows from cable. Tough call........

TiVo came out over 20 years ago. It was purchased for 1.1B. There are still 10 million users. I’m thinking it was made somewhat redundant by the recording feature offered within various cable packages.

I have a TiVo Premier hooked up to an OTA antenna. I think it works very good, and I prefer the interface over our streaming apps.

Nope never heard of it. I must be one of the few left that has cable. I never get to watch tv because my dad hogs it all the time watching either the news or some boring show.
My wife and I still pay for cable including a few premium channels, it comes with a DVR and we only watch shows that we've recorded, bypassing the commercials with the skip forward button. It is a luxury to do this, and well worth the cost to us.

My wife and I still pay for cable including a few premium channels, it comes with a DVR and we only watch shows that we've recorded, bypassing the commercials with the skip forward button. It is a luxury to do this, and well worth the cost to us.
Yeah we have a DVD player but no DVR we don’t record anything we have put it on a disk before though.

Used to have an SD / analog TiVo back then when my DTV's analog converter died. It was no subscription fee back then but we never really used it much for recording. From what I know the digital ones are not subscription free like the old analog one.

When I got rid of that TV eventually (power supply problem, shame on you Polaroid), I took apart the Tivo and sold the parts for more than it was worth as a whole unit.

These days nobody really use it because streaming is more efficient and cost even less than TiVo over the air. Comcast used to do analog cable but now no more, and charge too much. There really is no point using TiVo anymore because over the air TV is near dead.

Back