Titles.. or lack of..

I've been looking at motorcycle/scooters and it amazes me the number without titles, I've noticed quite a few vehicles also. In this day and age I'm also amazed how a piece of paper often determines the fate of vehicles. Why can't DMV's just take bill of sale's, vin verification/checks for theft and call it good? I know some states you can get bonded titles and there's the Vermont loophole .. but why make it so difficult? Seems to me there could be a better process but I bet most lack of titles are theft and outstanding liens.

States are getting tougher on not having a title in the current owner/seller's name instead of easier. I guess that it's the states attempt to deal with the rampant MV theft. Oh and them getting the revenue from forcing EVERYONE to register their vehicles instead of just allowing the owners to have an Open Title.

I've attempted to buy vehicles that haven't been registered by ALL of their owners for a couple of decades and it's nearly impossible to get one registered in Florida. The ONLY way to register an open title here is to take it to court and have a judge issue a court order for the state to recognize the title and to issue a title in your name. Yes, there are ways around that. Go to one of the easier to register states and transfer the title into your name there and then transfer that title to Fla and re-register here. But I don't think that situation will be allowed to continue for very long.

If you're in Florida and in most other states, DON'T even think about accepting a Bill of Sale only or a title that's not in the current owner's name! Even bringing an out of state vehicle into Florida and trying to register it here for the first time will cost you $$$$ for the "impact fee".

I'm sure it varies state by state but it costs less than $100 here and a little bit of paperwork. I still see tons of vehicles listed with no title anyway. I just assume they have liens or are stolen.

Maine doesn't issue a title for MCs or scoots under 300cc, trailers under a certain weight, or vehicles made before 1995.

The Interstate Commerce clause in the US constitution is supposed to compel other states to accept each state's paperwork. They can make it onerous, though, like with a bonded title.

A Maine (or VT) registration and bill of sale should be enough to convince other states to allow registration and titling of an appropriate vehicle.

The electronic title thing is what drives me crazy...got an intro to that one when I bought the MDX (e-titled in AZ) and my state doesn't accept electric titles so I had to wait literally months to get the state of AZ to print one and send it to be, and only after hours on the phone with the DMV. Frustrating. I'm waiting for the title on the GLI as I write this, but it's only been about a month so I'm optimistic I'll get it soon.

I personally would never buy a vehicle without a proper title in the seller name. You don't know if the person your giving money to ,has any right to sell that vehicle. If they are the owner ,getting a new "lost" title should be no problem. If you buy a vehicle of any type, without a title and the real owner gets wind of it, you could be charged with theft if it's stolen. Or have to give it back to the legal owner if the authorities get involve, with no reimbursement. Who needs the hassle?.,,,

Interesting to see how the different states handle it. I will say I did buy a 80cc without a title but I did check it for theft. Originally I thought I'd just treat it as a 50cc but even KS wants a plate for those, MO doesn't. I won't again. As long as I avoid Johnson County I'll probably be ok, they ride ATV and other illegal motobikes here and no one stops them, and this scooter is far more street legal than those and has insurance. I

big variety still state by state. We need Fed policy.
A bike here in MA seems to need a lill sticker on it (registered w/the Commonwealth) or cops can confiscate it on or off rd, private property/public. Owner told me this after a fix when I said "Where's ur plate". Need actual plate (nxt level) for 'on rd" use (if it is so equiped or manafctured for such use). No 'dirt bikes' R supposted to B used on the rd. (I seen definite 'dirt bikes' on the rd & they had plates, dont get all of this when there's some sorta twist to it).

What's this "impact fee"? Is that the 1 in Cali where new owners can B required to pay yrs of 'storage' (unregistered/non use) fees?
Something abt owner never registered so U R paying the state a polluters fee it was unable to collect from owner's lack of compliance?

What's this "impact fee"?
Nothing but another money grab by the state. Florida charges impact fees on all new houses and on any new vehicle coming into the state. "New" here doesn't necessary mean brand new, just new in this state and regardless of the vehicle's age. I think most states are doing similar things.

see /www.answers.com/Q/What_is_Florida's_vehicle_impact_fee[/URL]> and /www.jmco.com/articles/government/new-law-means-changes-florida-local-government-impact-fees/[/URL]> just for bit of information of the subject.

thnx 4 da link. It's due to bein a state w/o taxes (or the resultant 'services') I think.
Cali has sompin a lill different. I think it applies to years w/o registrtion (as above - ?a 'pollution' tax?)
Edit
I correct myself, not 'no tax' but state tax. For this reason it needs to gather elsewhere, a regressive system
that inflates most other costs. To B less than hi middle income is tough there (so say my fam there @ 70K$ yr).

Last edited:
Back