Titanium in report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received oil results with a titanium reading of 18.5 ppm? Iron was at 22ppm which is about 10ppm higher than historical.Have been sampling this 2003 5.9 diesel cummins for several years and never had a titanium result. The oil was run over six months, 7500 miles/250 hrs during the winter months. Only change to the motor has been a new turbo from bd diesel, killer b 63/65/14 installed last fall with a oil change. Oil used since new has been valvoline PB15w40. Did call the turbo supplier and ask if titanium is used in any turbo components...no. Have researched but can't find any info if cummins uses titanium metal in the valve train components. Any opinions as to where ti is coming from or should I be concerned? Hoping it is not a valve seat!

Titanium in solid form is used as a coating on some high temp, high load components to reduce wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
Looks like either a bogus UOA or a lab error due to too many zeros. It was a free UOA from the lab and almost looks like a VOA which is real odd.

Yes, no diesel engine wears that good to have that many 0s in a UOA. Lab error no doubt.

Get a "New Oil" or VOA analysis on the PBlue and find out for sure if this Titanium is an additive.

What was the total lab analysis results?

Last edited:
What was the total lab analysis results?[/quote]

Would like to post the report but unable to figure it out?

Last edited:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/26/borgwarner-lawsuit-idUSN1E79P2A820111026

Apparently borgwarner does use titanium in the compressor wheels of their turbos. Since the turbo I,m running is a bd diesel killer b supplied from borgwarner this must be the origin of the ti. Valvoline is not using titanium additive from researching. I still would like to know how to post the oil sample results without typing in all the numbers?

Last edited:
Quote:
Compressor wheels do not come in contact with the oil though

True, but shafts and bearings have been known to be coated with Ti to reduce wear and resist heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back