Tisk tisk...shame on me. [56k beware]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I climbed under my hood last weekend to change my broken car horn and noticed how dirty my filters were on my cold-air intake. The picture doesn't do justice to how dirty they were as at the time, I took them off, shook them out and got out as much crud as I could. On one side, the airflow side, I couldn't even see the pleats!

The new filters came in today so I replaced the old ones. I could have sworn I cleaned my filters not too long ago but I was clearly mistaken. My blackstone tests came back OK so while dirty, the air filters were still doing their job.

After the change, the car felt much better. One note is that the dirty filters were redish while the new ones are blue, I guess SLP changed their filter supplier.

2llyuts.jpg

16hnnuo.jpg

EDIT: Do people still use 56k or is it just a courtesy warning?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Why two filters used in unison?

Some cars have more than one intake. I know the 300ZX has two intakes (one for each side of the V6 engine)

I don't know about the 56k, but I probably fall into a dying minority with my dial up home internet service.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Was this for an LT1 F-body?

Yes, this is for an LT1 Camaro.

This is used on the SLP cold-air intake that uses two air filters.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I don't know about the 56k, but I probably fall into a dying minority with my dial up home internet service.

I know what you are going though. I live in the country in a sparsely populated area. For the longest time, the only thing available was dial-up at about 24.4 speed. Friggin AT&T told us we were LUCKY to have phone service at all and did not offer high speed service. For work, my wife needed a high speed so we got satellite. (Not really high speed either. How can they advertise that it is?) Her new employer demanded constant access high speed. Since a few blue clouds could knock out our satellite internet connection, we had to get DSL at our expense. This involved digging a cable that's a couple miles long that crosses state lines. Ouch$$!!
Wish we could go back to the simpler days.

I had a K&N on a Rock-It tube so I could reclaim the air box space. Same deal. Some put a half shield over it to produce less crud. This is common for all exposed filters that I've seen. The stock air boxes, at least most I've seen, have a deceleration chamber on the inlet side of the filter. The ram air comes through it's smaller and twisted path ..and hits a dead zone where it drops anything that requires velocity to keep it moving.

It didn't seem to stop it from doing its job. The only thing that wore out my K&N was cleaning it ..or so I speculate. The silicon numbers stayed good for about 5-6 cleanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back