tires for the wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many spend more for tires for the wifes car than you do your own?
I have some kumho 795 which is the cheapest I could find for my car at $38 a tire $200 mounted and balanced.Doing ok but wearing fast for my conservative driving.

I did.

My wife buys her own car and spec'd a particular tire. When replacement time came she tells me "get the same tires, I like them".

End of subject.

offtopic.gif
If you are going down the hiway @ 80 MPH and are passed by a little old lady in a Buick - wave, it might be the wife.

Last set of tires I bought for the g/f we around $500 (USD) total with mounting and balancing.

Last set of tires I bought for myself were about $850. And then I took them to the track and chewed them up somewhat... will have to buy a new set pretty soon I guess.
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by goodoleboy:
How many spend more for tires for the wifes car than you do your own?
I have some kumho 795 which is the cheapest I could find for my car at $38 a tire $200 mounted and balanced.Doing ok but wearing fast for my conservative driving.

I did last time around. She got the Nokian WR's which a expensive since few people sell them except small independants ($100/tire for a Civic). They are essentially a year round tire specialized for winter traction but no need to remove in summer. Made by the Finish who know a lot about snow.

I sprung for the $50 cheapy Sumitomo's on my car and suffered with noise that was louder than my old worn snow tires.

Not me, my wife loves her Goodyear Viva 2s, but they're not quite sporty enough for me.
wink.gif

50,000 and not even half worn, not bad for $45 a tire.

-T

It depends on how the relationship is going. If not so good, I look for some really questionable Firestones and then underinflate them by at least 20 psi and send her out on the Interstate.

Only Joking!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

In our household, replacements are usually Michelin, BF Goodrich which is owned by Michelin, or Nokians.

Well, I spent nearly as much for a set of 195/70-14 tires for my grandmother as I did for a set of 255/50WR17s for my Impala. I put Goodyear COmfortreds on her car and Hankook K104s on mine. Her's will dry-rot before they wear out though. Mine won't live more than 2 years...

Mine gets exactly the tires I would have bought if her vehicle was mine. She cares about the quality of her tires, but doesn't want to spend the time to 'get techy' about them, but she knows I am a fanatic on tire quality (moderated somewhat by price) so she asks me what to get...

I'm more into performance than any of my family, so I always recommend tires based on their needs, rather than mine. In the case of grandma's car, if it were me, I'd of put a set of Yokohama AVS ES100s on it. She prefers the comfort and quiet of the Comfortreds though.

Yokohama, Bridgestone, BfGoodrich and Falken are the names we use in my house. My Jeep has had BFGs (Long Trail TAs....ok but poor wet traction) and will be getting some All-Terrains soon. Currently it has Yokohamas (fantastic!). Dad's now gone (we have a Pacifica now) Windstar had Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires..... the best passenger tire we've used. Mom's Avalon has Falken Ziex ZE-512. Over Houston roads, they are a little noisy but they are better than the Michelin MXV4s they replace. Maybe too sporty for this lux. cruiser. Soon all of the cars will have Yokohamas, except for the Jeep. Yokohamas give the best grip, quality and comfort at 20-50 bucks under Michelin. Japan makes some good stuff and this includes the Yokohama tires and the Falkens.

I've run Kumho, Hankook, Yokohama, Sumitomo, Goodyear, and Michelin. I've found that all brands make "rim protectors," and that most brands have some absolutely sterling tires. I never assume the tire is good because of the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back