Tires for my '87 Jag - 215/70R15

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
I have an '87 XJ-S V12 which will be needing a set of tires soon. Currently has some sort of Bridgestones which are 13 years old and are badly flat spotted.

Initially I was going to get a set of BFG Radial T/As but then the high pressure power steering hose ruptured and gave me some time to think.

The car has a full-sized spare with the original Pirelli on it, I will be buying a set of five of whatever I get. I think I'll be doing a five-tire rotation schedule. I'll be driving the car daily to the extent which one can drive a 34 year old British car.

Thoughts?

I'd put a set of the original Pirelli's on it. Whichever model tire is equivalent to the one in the trunk. It's not like you have to worry about snow or anything.
Pirelli is making some really good tires these days, and I think in the USA to boot.

I love looking at the incredibly cheap prices on Jags. "They say" they're a mechanical nightmare though. What's been your experience?

I love looking at the incredibly cheap prices on Jags. "They say" they're a mechanical nightmare though. What's been your experience?
I've only had this car for a year and driven it 34 miles. So my experience isn't good for much. My aunt bought the car about five years ago and in that time she had to replace the entire A/C system, the radiator and the power steering rack. She drove it a total of 78 miles, so I'm not sure that's good for much either. I will say, parts availability for this car is better than one would expect.

Both my 2006 XJ8 and my 2008 X-Type have been incredibly reliable, but Ford is to blame for that.

Miles on your 06 and 08?
2006 XJ8 Vanden Plas is almost to 104k. I haven't driven it much lately but that's just becuase I've been hauling stuff. It's the 4.2L V8 and some kind of ZF six speed auto. I inherited it from my aunt with 69k; she bought it new.

2008 X-Type had 206k when I gave it to my cousin; as far as I know she is still driving it. I bought it used but it was the current model year with less than 3k on it. 3.0L V6 AWD, 5 speed standard.

I used to part out lots of old jags and bmws. The best “old” jag is the 92-97 XJ6 with the 4L 6cyl. Well made, well designed, pretty easy to work on and the drivetrain never breaks.

They made the same body shape with a V8 but you need to know what you’re doing when you buy one of those.

Last edited:
I'd put a set of the original Pirelli's on it. Whichever model tire is equivalent to the one in the trunk. It's not like you have to worry about snow or anything.
Pirelli is making some really good tires these days, and I think in the USA to boot.
This is probably the best idea right here. A set of P4 Pirellis would look right at home on an older Jag.

Nice car.

I have a thing about modern looking tires (modern graphics, ribbed sidewalls, etc.) on classic cars. Not that '87 is that old, but the XJS is such a pretty car I'd want to get it right...but I am severely OCD about things like that on my fun cars. The BFG's actually don't look too modern, probably a good choice.

There are some vintage offerings in that size, I prefer the Vredesteins based on experience and it looks like you can get the original Pirellis, the P5 according to Lucas. None are cheap though; Lucas Classic Tires

Last edited:
I have a thing about modern looking tires (modern graphics, ribbed sidewalls, etc.) on classic cars. Not that '87 is that old, but the XJS is such a pretty car I'd want to get it right...but I am severely OCD about things like that on my fun cars. The BFG's actually don't look too modern, probably a good choice.

There are some vintage offerings in that size, I prefer the Vredesteins based on experience and it looks like you can get the original Pirellis, the P5 according to Lucas. None are cheap though; Lucas Classic Tires
I obsess over the same details. That’s why I had been leaning toward the BFGs to begin with.

Just looked at the Lucas Tire site; apparently those prices shown are per tire :oops:
For that money you should be getting a set of four

I’ll consider those Firestones, looks like an excellent tire for the application. Only problem for me is they’re directional and I wanted to do a five tire rotation with the spare. I guess I could just get a cheapie for the spare and forget about it.

This is probably the best idea right here. A set of P4 Pirellis would look right at home on an older Jag.
This is the preferred option, but the P4 isn’t available in my size as best I can tell.

I just learned the original P5 is reproduced, available for $350 EACH. I want them but just can’t justify a $1750 set of tires on a driver car which frankly isn’t that special.

Last edited:
Sure they are. At least the manufacturer says that they make them...

Here's a few vendors that appear to have them:
Simple Tire
Wal-Mart
Amazon
Thank you! I think I’ll order 5 of them through Wal-Mart when the car is ready. That’s as close to the original tire as I will get for any reasonable price.

Edit— actually, Simple Tire is a few dollars cheaper. If the price is still lower when I go to order them then I’ll give them a try

Also, since Ford used the 215/70-15 on quite a bit of cars and minivans(like the 1990s T-bird, non-P71/72 Crown Vics/Grand Monkeys without the 16” “premium” wheel package and the Windstar/Villager/Quest of that era), there’s plenty of Chinese and Thai options. I installed a pair of Hercules Tour 4.0 tires on an old Quest. It was a Thai-made H-rated tire using a clone of a Conti ControlContact DWS tread pattern.

Back