Tires for Century

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Brother-in-Law works and gets a discount on tires at Sears. I am curently looking at 3 tires-1. Bridgestone Weatherforce, 2. Goodyear WeatherHandler LS, and 3. Michelin WeatherWise.

The Goodyear and Bridgestone are about the same cost and the Michelin are about $50 more. for four.

Any comments are appreciated-Thanks

Never mind the above message. I see Wal-Mart has an even better deal on Goodyear Viva-2's. If they are anything like the original Vivas that I had on my Pontiac a few years ago, I know I can't go wrong with those.

A Buick Century? I had one of those... Didn't really matter what you put on that boat. Cooper tires worked well enough.

You must be thinking of the Park Avenue, I wouldn't consider the Century a boat, it isn't any larger than any other mid-sized car on the market.

quote:

Originally posted by lobo11:
You must be thinking of the Park Avenue, I wouldn't consider the Century a boat, it isn't any larger than any other mid-sized car on the market.

I believe he was refering to the handling which is aimed at the geriatric set, rather than the size.

Tires will still make a difference though.

Viva 2's would be perfect match for your Century. They are also a lot better then the original Vivas. My wife has over 50,000 on them and they look almost like new. See 59vetteman's post for more info.

Unless your looking for great handling, you can't go wrong with the Viva 2s.

-T

Yeah, I was thinking of the boat-like handling, especially when compared to similar-sized cars (wagon in my case) like a Volvo or MB T.

I used to have GY Weatherhandler tires on the car, which were okay, but they got punctured all the time. The Coopers were better in that regard, but I can't remember the model. It was another M+S (AS) tire.

Goodyear Regatta = Sears/Goodyear Weatherhandler LS = WalMart/Goodyear Viva Touring

All the same & 75,000 mile warranty.

I believe it to be superior than the Bridgestone Weatherforce and Michelin Weatherwise.

This tire is very quiet, great snow and wet traction, excellent fuel economy as well, long wear life if rotated/and aligned regularly.

Walmart will give you the cheapest Retail carry out cost, Sears will match them if you know how to negotiate.

Also the Weatherhandlers and Weatherwise come in T rated sized which is a plus. S is a bit too weird cornering wise.

Goodyear definately did a great job with this national wholesaler tire line.

Geriatric? I also don't think it handle any worse than most mid-size sedans out there, and before we bought it we drove quite a few. A little more body roll than some, but overall not bad. And no, since it is a Century and not a sports car I think the Viva-2s will work nicely. On the same vein, many of our friends in their mid-20's were shocked when they saw the car and told them it was a Century, I don't think it looks any worse than anything else in its class, but then again I am partial because it has been a great value with no problems as of yet.

Actually they are slightly different. But their a god tire if you want better handling then the Viva 2. They are much more expensive though.

-T

What year of Century is it?

I just put a set of Goodyear ComforTred Assurances on my grandmother's '93 Ciera, and she loves them.

I "played" with the car after putting them on and the handling is the best it's been of any non-performance tire I've put on it, and the tire is very smooth and quiet to boot. If wanting more handling benefits, at the expense of a bit harsher ride and some noise, I'd try the TripleTred, which has been getting rave reviews.

I concur with Vader

Goodyear may have turned over a few new leaves lately.

The European inspired F1 GSD3 for us that drive like Formula 1 racers...and everyday bargain touring tires like the Regatta/Viva/Weatherhandler family!

I have been following it to and both the Comfort Treat and Triple Tread seem to be stellar. As Vadre said for a T rated tire they definately perform !

Perhaps Goodyear is playing catch up to Michelin's image

OR

Goodyear is fearing the massive influx of low priced Japanese Tires(Bridgestone/Firestone, Sumitomo, Kumho,Falken etc) will destroy thier market share!.

Perhaps they are keen to avoid the same demise that came to the Big III Auto-Makers when they forsaked the engineers for the bean counters.

Indeed I think it is among the best handling car in its class. It is hard to get it off its line, very fine steering with on-center feeling. Superb directional stability. Another justification that handling can also be fine with a decent ride. Unlike a "fine" German, I can drive it for thousands of kilometers without fatique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back