Tires for a Touareg

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister has a V-6 VW Touareg and its in need of some new tires. The stock size is a 255/60/VR17 and she'll be needing a good all all-season tire. She lives in Western Wa. and we get alot of rain along with some light snow and fairly frequent days of frost and black ice.

The stock tires are Perelli Scorpion Zeros and are almost bald at 15K. After reading reviews at the Tirerack 15K is about average for these tires.

What do you guys reccomend for a performance type all-season tire?

Uhh... tire selection seems to be really limited in that size. Looking at the TR ratings, that Scorpion isn't that bad. As far as treadwear, if you want "performance", you'll probably have to live with shorter treadlife. That Touareg is really heavy which I'm sure contributes to shorter treadlife as well.

On a side note, what kind of gas mileage is your sister getting out of this SUV? This and the X5 are my favorite SUVs.
smile.gif

I asked her a couple months ago what kind of MPG she was getting and IIRC it was less than 20. I was kind of surprised at how low the MPG was until I rode with her.

I don't think she knows the meaning of partial throttle,she starts and stops in a hurry. When she takes off from a light or stop sign I don't think her SUV sees less than 4K RPMs. Shes definatly a spirited driver!

I asked my Brother-in-law if shes always driven that way and he said thats why he calls her the "Road Warrior". Shes wrecked a Geo Storm,Honda Civic and her fully restored '65 Mustang twice.
crushedcar.gif
crushedcar.gif
crushedcar.gif
crushedcar.gif

Oh yea, I saw some Toyo Proxes STs at the local tire dealer. They seemed to think they would be a good match for her SUV.

20 mpg is actually not bad at all, considering the vehicle's wieght (it's a tank). That's about how much my A4 1.8TQ with manual tranny got in city driving.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ge_grabber_uhp.jsp

General Grabber UHP. 100 bucks a tire. It recieved the highest rating and was tested on a Touareg by Tire Rack.

Pirelli Scorpion STR - 105 per tire. Not high performance but a good tire.

If price isn't a concern, Yokohama ADVAN S.T. is a high performance tire that is reinforced compared to the stock tires. Their load index is 110, compared to the stock 106 index, so these tires will probably last longer because they can handle the weight better. Oh, 160 per tire.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ge_grabber_uhp.jsp

General Grabber UHP. 100 bucks a tire. It recieved the highest rating and was tested on a Touareg by Tire Rack.

Pirelli Scorpion STR - 105 per tire. Not high performance but a good tire.

If price isn't a concern, Yokohama ADVAN S.T. is a high performance tire that is reinforced compared to the stock tires. Their load index is 110, compared to the stock 106 index, so these tires will probably last longer because they can handle the weight better. Oh, 160 per tire.

IMO if you can afford a $40K vehicle you can spring for some good rubber.

When I worked at Sears,we'd have guys come in with Vipers or high end Porshes and look to get a set of tires installed for $300. They would always get this strange look on their face when they heard the tires were $3-400 a piece. Then they didn't understand when we wouldn't have their ultra-high performance tires in stock,I guess they thought everyone drove $100K cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back