Tires for a Infiniti FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need new tires for my FX. Size is 265/60r20.
Just looking for some suggestions. The tires need to be "All Season" so that limits the kinds I can use. I don't want to spend too much, but it seems like this size the price range is around $200 to $300 each (per tirerack.com).
Also, the tires on it are V rated. Just wondering if I can go down to an S rating...I really don't plan on going over 90 mph EVER!

Last edited:
wow... please trade in the vehicle. Obviously the tires are oversized and ridiculouly priced (a complaint that I have made for some time on all vehicles), and by trying to scrimp on price, you potentially take everyones' safety into your hands.

The "speed rating" has as much to do with handling characteristics as it does with top speed.

Boycott vehicles with 20" wheels if replacement is such a big deal... Otherwise, accept it as lifecycle cost and the nature of the beast.

I would stick to a V rated, maybe go down to an H. Anything lower will affect the excellent handling characteristics of this FX in a negative way.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
wow... please trade in the vehicle. Obviously the tires are oversized and ridiculouly priced (a complaint that I have made for some time on all vehicles), and by trying to scrimp on price, you potentially take everyones' safety into your hands.

The "speed rating" has as much to do with handling characteristics as it does with top speed.

Boycott vehicles with 20" wheels if replacement is such a big deal... Otherwise, accept it as lifecycle cost and the nature of the beast.

You seem to have forgotten about the improved handling and stability on vehicles with larger (and wider) tires.

If you click on "best sellers" there are some cheaper alternatives. General Exclaim UHP are 151 each with 50 visa card if you buy 4. Personally, I'd buy the Yokohama Parada Spec-X esp (149) with the sports package and they're v rated.

I will take your car and pay for the tires. PM me for my address for the title
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

You seem to have forgotten about the improved handling and stability on vehicles with larger (and wider) tires.

which tend to create more drag, reduced fuel economy and far higher operating expenses, on a vehicle that doesnt really offer that much utility.

I doubt that tires are the key driver in vehicular safety, especially given that OE fits are usually lousy LRR tires that don't do much of anything well. Yes, they offer a characteristic that allows you to do more, but a good 16" tire will be far smallr, cheaper, and still enable 99% of the "good stuff" that provides a safe vehicle.

Last edited:
The size is 265/50-20, not 265/60-20. The optional size is 265/60-18, if you can buy the 18" wheels from other FX owner(s) then you will have many more choices than 20" tires and the price is much lower too.

For lower speed rate tires, it depends on your driving style. If you are slow driver and careful in taking a turn then Speed rate S or T may be the right choice for you. Just remember that with slower speed rate tires, your tires handling and stopping distance are not as good as V or higher tires. Since nobody knows your driving style, all their inputs may not applicable to you.

which tend to create more drag, reduced fuel economy and far higher operating expenses, on a vehicle that doesnt really offer that much utility.

I doubt that tires are the key driver in vehicular safety, especially given that OE fits are usually lousy LRR tires that don't do much of anything well. Yes, they offer a characteristic that allows you to do more, but a good 16" tire will be far smallr, cheaper, and still enable 99% of the "good stuff" that provides a safe vehicle.

On a performance-oriented vehicle like a FX, fuel economy is not of the greatest concern. Traction and handling are more important to the OEM.

As far as the vehicle not offering much utility, that is strictly your opinion.

Fuel economy is of high concern to all automakers. A slight change in tire will make worlds of increase from OE, but MPGs will often drop. The maker needs to eek out the last 0.5 MPG out of this vehicle, just as it needs to for any other vehicle it sells.

If traction, handling, and remaining in an OE fashion or better at all costs was such a benefit, the OP would not have have posted at all, let along talking about deraiting tires. This is a situation where the OP is getting bit with the costs of a ridiculous size tire that is of little to no perceived benefit - thus the question of being able to derate.

If the vehicle is a keeper and tire costs are a big issue, I'd be trying to take HTSS_TR's advice.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The size is 265/50-20, not 265/60-20. The optional size is 265/60-18, if you can buy the 18" wheels from other FX owner(s) then you will have many more choices than 20" tires and the price is much lower too.

For lower speed rate tires, it depends on your driving style. If you are slow driver and careful in taking a turn then Speed rate S or T may be the right choice for you. Just remember that with slower speed rate tires, your tires handling and stopping distance are not as good as V or higher tires. Since nobody knows your driving style, all their inputs may not applicable to you.

Oops..you are correct...that was a typo. They are 265/50r20 size.
The car is driven like a very old grandma would drive...mainly because my wife drives it most of the time...and when I drive it she gets upset if I drive it the way it should be driven :)

I would just like a tire that last a little longer. The OEM tires only have 30K on them and are almost bald. They are Goodyears...so I am probably going to stay away from those.

I don't mind spending $300 for tires if they last more than 30K miles...I just don't want to spend that much every 2 years.

I would expect any OE tire to have a fairly short life on a sport oriented vehicle such as the FX.

That said... it will probably be difficult to find any 20" tire that is going to last much longer than 30k

The Yokohama Parada Spec X are looking to be good tires for grip/wear.
Toyo Proxes S/T is probably in that size. That is what I'm using now in 255/45/20. They were approximately $165/tire. I expect ~30k miles out of them. They are a little on the noisy side though. I think the Proxes S/T 2 are supposed to improve on that with a tread redesign.

Those are the only two tires I have experience with in 20" sizes.

Last edited:
I'm sure your OE tire is the Goodyear Eagle RS-A. UTQG is only 260 AA, about the lowest in the category. Infiniti probably spec'd this tire because it gave the ride and handling they wanted the car to provide. The downside is treadwear but the mfr doesn't care as much about that.

It looks like most aftermarket tires will give better tread life, if their UTQG specs are an indication.

You could go with brands like Hankook, Falken and Toyo if you want something under $200 per tire.

My suggestion -
Toyo Open Country HT in 265/50-20
V rated
XL load rating
UTQG 640 AA
$169.70 from Tires-easy.com

Whichever tire you buy, I'd be VERY careful of the load rating. Double check your owners manual to make sure you buy the correct load rated tire. That FX ain't no ballerina and a 50 series tire needs to be well constructed in order to provide good all around performance.

One more idea: Check your local Infiniti dealer and shop their price. I know, most people think dealers are overpriced but with tire sales I've found them to be competitive with other local retailers. Plus, you know they have the proper equipment to mount and balance 20" tires, probably using top notch Hunter equipment.

EDIT

Ok, one last idea (sorry, I did a NOS Powershot a few minutes ago...)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.j...=13&RunFlat=All

You can downsize to a 255/55-20 without a problem, it appears. If you want to do that, snag these Bridgestones linked above. Not only are they cheap but Bstone is offering a $100 Visa card on a set of four. Gotta take the good deals when you can, right?

The tire is H rated and has a UTQG of 600 AA. It'll do just what you want for a net price of $121 each.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
On a performance-oriented vehicle like a FX, fuel economy is not of the greatest concern. Traction and handling are more important to the OEM.

No matter how Nissan tries to position this vehicle, it is still a heavy SUV with a relatively high center of gravity. No matter what wheels/tires you put on it, it will not handle like a sports car. If anything, the heavy 20" rims are probably just doing a disservice to the handling. They are there for the looks mainly.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
I'm sure your OE tire is the Goodyear Eagle RS-A. UTQG is only 260 AA, about the lowest in the category. Infiniti probably spec'd this tire because it gave the ride and handling they wanted the car to provide. The downside is treadwear but the mfr doesn't care as much about that.

It looks like most aftermarket tires will give better tread life, if their UTQG specs are an indication.

You could go with brands like Hankook, Falken and Toyo if you want something under $200 per tire.

My suggestion -
Toyo Open Country HT in 265/50-20
V rated
XL load rating
UTQG 640 AA
$169.70 from Tires-easy.com

Whichever tire you buy, I'd be VERY careful of the load rating. Double check your owners manual to make sure you buy the correct load rated tire. That FX ain't no ballerina and a 50 series tire needs to be well constructed in order to provide good all around performance.

This does look like a decent tire for a resonable price.
Does anyone have any experience with Toyo Tires? How good are they?

we have always had excellent results with toyo tires. Weve run the higher end ones - I cant comment on price leader tires.

FWIW, I have Open Country H/T's (275/65R17)on my truck and I highly reccomend them. Perfectly balanced, great handling and traction, and very quiet. After 25k miles, 9/32 tread remains.

I think the Infiniti FX is a great looking sport SUV, but I have always wondered why did Infinity install such large wheels/tires on a 'family' vehicle.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I think the Infiniti FX is a great looking sport SUV, but I have always wondered why did Infinity install such large wheels/tires on a 'family' vehicle.

Because even wealthy suburban mommies want to look stylin' when taking Little Suzy Dakota to karate class. It's all about the image, doncha know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back