Tires for '03 F350 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchasing an '03 F350 XL reg cab, long bed w/ 6.0L diesel. Will be used initially to tow a small trailer for moving, then very light hauling afterwards.

Any recommendations on P vs LT tires? Goodyear Wrangler ArmorTrac - P265/75R16 114T or Goodyear Wrangler ArmorTrac - LT265/75R16/E 112Q.

Well, for sure you don't want to put 114T or 112Q on a 1-ton pickup. You should look at Load Range E (121) tires, which are 10-ply. Personally I like the Michelin LTX M/S2.

Are you necessarily betrothed to the Goodyears? Or are you getting a really great deal on them? Because a cursory look at Tire Rack shows the General Grabber HTS available for $137 a piece.

On a one ton I would ONLY run a load range E LT rated tire. Depending on the tread design you're looking for I have seen the BFG Commercial TA and Firestone Transforce AT's have a good lifespan on the super duty trucks. I have a friend who would only run Wrangler Silent Armor tires. He only got about 40k out of each set but he said they did every thing he wanted them to for the time they lasted. I don't know anything about the Armortrac's though.

Originally Posted By: AmericaWestCMH
Purchasing an '03 F350 XL reg cab, long bed w/ 6.0L diesel.

crazy2.gif
I wouldn't own a Ford with the 6.0L garbage diesel it it were given to me for 100% free.

Find another truck. Just trying to save you down the road.

The 6.0 can be made bulletproof with some preventative repairs. Head studs and EGR block off come to mind, although it's been a long time since I've dealt with one of these.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Wow Nick1994.

You should tell us how you really feel. I am sure that your car is 100% reliable so you can let us know without reservation.
Nope, it's had 1 issue. But it wasn't even CLOSE to being a cab off head replacement egr delete on a motor that's a grenade waiting to blow.

Silly twist-sorry for the hi-jack of this thread's focus. BUT

I recently learned of the 5.4L V-8 shortcomings, now this "grenade" engine.

Ecoboost engines maligned

What is it with Ford? Are these flukes? Are Ford's garbage? Company poorly run?

I'm so rookie to trucks. Kira

There are a few people who suggest running P rated tires on a truck, but DO NOT run P rated tires on a 1 ton truck. That's just asking an ambulance chaser to take everything you have.

LT E rated only.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Silly twist-sorry for the hi-jack of this thread's focus. BUT

I recently learned of the 5.4L V-8 shortcomings, now this "grenade" engine.

Ecoboost engines maligned

What is it with Ford? Are these flukes? Are Ford's garbage? Company poorly run?

I'm so rookie to trucks. Kira

Powertrane aside, I'm of the opinion that Ford makes the best truck. Get a cummins diesel, hook it to a GM transmission and stick it in a Ford truck and you have a real winner.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
There are a few people who suggest running P rated tires on a truck, but DO NOT run P rated tires on a 1 ton truck. That's just asking an ambulance chaser to take everything you have.

LT E rated only.

This.

I don't know how it is in Michigan, but the CHP has been known to impound trucks with tires that do not meet or exceed the load ratings on the door sticker. Especially loaded or towing.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett

LT E rated only.

This.

I don't know how it is in Michigan, but the CHP has been known to impound trucks with tires that do not meet or exceed the load ratings on the door sticker. Especially loaded or towing.

Only in California...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett

LT E rated only.

This.

Only in California...

They love to pull over the guys leaving Glamis with the triple axle toy haulers too. It's not hard to exceed the GCWR fully loaded......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back