Tirerack has been bought out by Discount Tire sadly.

Mavis Discount tire gave me good price on Michelin Premier AS: also asked them to check brakes… said brakes were fine… went back to get tires rebalanced because of vibration and told them brakes don’t feel right and to check again. They apologized saying first time they forgot to check them. Tires still didn’t feel right and had them rebalance one more time… about a month later I went to get car inspected and they said by wheel bearings and suspension in the rear were so bad-my car was unsafe to drive and should never have had tires put on it was so loose back there.

What, Discount Tire opening or Easter Tire going away ? Pretty sure you mean Easter Tire closing 'cause I'm guessing DT has only been there a few years at most.
neither. the time I bought tires from tire rack that i was describing earlier was back around 2012.

Hopefully Costco will buy both. You get a much better service at Costco than Discount Tire ...
selection maybe limited at Costco but no weasels there. ;)
I now try Costco first and then DT.

question for online shoppers:
balance and rotation costs at least $12-15 per tire every 7500 miles ... Once you add that to the price of the online tires, how do guys figure out the tires are cheaper online?
unless you rotate yourself and rarely balance. No?

TireRack proceeded the Internet Commerce and was great idea always. Then as more and more tire web sellers came along their business model while offering way more to customer still lost out on price.

My local car dealers were competitive with their pricing and appeared to use another web seller to acquire tires.

DT is the best in my area. Their customer service is excellent and the mount and balance is superb. I’ve had 4 sets installed there for self and family. I watched a lady come in with 4 maypops. When they told her they couldn’t fix the one needing a patch she broke down. They took her around back and talked with her for a bit, and put 4 new tires on her car at no cost. I asked how they do that. They told me that the tires they get back from their 30 day guarantee, if there aren’t flaws in them, they can’t resell. So if they have something that fits, they will try to help people if they can. I watched it happen, and a friend of mine witnessed it too another time. they are 45 minutes from where I live, and are always full. Walk-ins just don’t work there, always a wait. Last time I was there, the guy waiting next to me was from another state. He said, “this one is the best around.” I’d imagine this is just the local store - I’d be hard pressed to believe that all of them are this good. it’d be great if they were.

Tirerack used to be good but I had to stop using them because their prices got insane. They did sell studded tires, though. Or install studs on studdable tires so I guess they had that?

I’m guessing the reason why - the tire makers are either buying their distributors(like Michelin and Goodyear’s joint venture) or in the business themselves(like Bridgestone is with Firestone and Wheel Works/Tires Plus stores as well as Sumitomo owning Big O/Midas/NTB/Speedee Oil). Add to that Costco and Walmart as well as the fall of Sears which for years was reliable business for Goodyear and Michelin.

With Carl Icahn at the reins of Pep Boys, and the fall of Les Schwab, the tire makers have to maintain margins. Chinese and Thai tires are more widespread in the market as well.

Hopefully Costco will buy both. You get a much better service at Costco than Discount Tire ...
selection maybe limited at Costco but no weasels there. ;)
I now try Costco first and then DT.

question for online shoppers:
balance and rotation costs at least $12-15 per tire every 7500 miles ... Once you add that to the price of the online tires, how do guys figure out the tires are cheaper online?
unless you rotate yourself and rarely balance.
Tires do not need to be rebalanced every 7500 miles, but Discount Tire does not charge for rebalancing or rotations.

Tire Rack was once my vendor of choice, but started going to DT 10 yrs ago or so. I really like their business philosophy and level of customer service.

Have bought many tires from TR as well as suspension parts since mid-2000s. Website reviews etc. is gold standard. Now a DT fanboi...5 sets and counting. The Chick-fil-A of tire shops. Great customer service.

I've been using Tire Rack since about 1996, though I mostly used my local Mazda dealership in the last 10 years. I just bought 4 Michelin Crossclimate 2 from Tire Rack over the summer. They have a warehouse just a few minutes from my house here in CT.
Had never heard of Discount Tire before this story broke, looks like they have no presence in the Northeast. I was initially dismayed that TR was going to be ruined. But from what y'all are saying, DT sounds great. I hope they open up some locations here.

Tire rack has been so high the past year or so I gave up on them. Definitely not worth all that finding an installer BS. Discount consistently has the lowest prices in my metro area but it's probably because their techs don't have to know how to read apparently. Nobody else comes anywhere close but Walmart (obviously). There's no skilled people anywhere anymore so it's not like paying more will get me any advantage whatsoever. You don't "get what you pay for" anymore. Go with the lowest price and hope they luck up and mount it correctly.

Tire rack has been so high the past year or so I gave up on them. Definitely not worth all that finding an installer BS. Discount consistently has the lowest prices in my metro area but it's probably because their techs don't have to know how to read apparently. Nobody else comes anywhere close but Walmart (obviously). There's no skilled people anywhere anymore so it's not like paying more will get me any advantage whatsoever. You don't "get what you pay for" anymore. Go with the lowest price and hope they luck up and mount it correctly.
I've had numerous tires installed in the last year and yes, good help is scarce right now I just check their work like a hawk before pulling out. Check the pressures when I get home. Check the lug torque.

Reactions: GON
Same here, bought a few sets from TR over 15 or so years but last few years prices went unreasonable, and they'd not remove roadside ins fee from price, I didn't even ask for sales tax removal due to taking tires out of US.
So, I voted elsewhere with my cash.

After being a tirerack customer and installer since 2004, it makes me very sad they sold out to Discount Tire. I find it hard to believe that will be better, so I'll just wait and see.
It’s like when Cabelas sold out to Bass Pro. It ruined a once great company.

Same here, bought a few sets from TR over 15 or so years but last few years prices went unreasonable, and they'd not remove roadside ins fee from price, I didn't even ask for sales tax removal due to taking tires out of US.
So, I voted elsewhere with my cash.
At DT you do have to purchase the warranty "certificates" separately which adds to the overall cost. Last I bought tires from TR road hazard was included and I actually used it once but it's a PITA - have to get it fixed, pay out of pocket, then get reimbursed. I suppose DT fixes any tire for free so not really a big deal unless they can't fix it.

I have to drive 45 minutes east to the DT that I’ve used for years. It was getting too busy and most know what comes with that. Just over a year back - decided to try DT an hour west - mid sized town and still had Home Depot, Sam’s, Petsmart, etc - the stores we don’t have …
What a difference … same size store but they must have a third less volume - more mature staff - have time for a few minutes of discussion without holding up a long line … Get you in easily

Been buying tires and mounted wheel/tire sets, suspension/brake components, and other stuff from TR for years. ALWAYS had great service and never any issues. Recently had been sending tires ordered from TR directly to local small family owned wheel repair shop for install. They have been there for almost 20 years and used the same techs for almost entire time. They have the most up to date machines and have NEVER caused any damage or had any issues. They even go so far as to balance with weights spaced out so none show between spokes. Always balance to the gram (not oz.) and use a premium European flat weights with super sticky adhesive like OEM euro cars do. They honor TR's road hazard as well as their own that comes gratis on all purchases/installs. I was turned onto them when had to get some wheels repaired/restored by local auto body shop. Really nice folks to just go in and talk with too. Plus they always have excellent coffee from a local roaster brewing.

Never did anything with DT even though have a store locally. Was turned off by the horror stories told by former techs of the issues they had, damage done to customers wheels/cars, and that they were always under pressure to do the job fast to get more turnover in since it was a busy store. Same can be said for almost any chain around here really, except for maybe Costco. Had a set installed there once and was quite pleased with work quality, time, and price. Plus, who can pass up the pizza and drink deal while ya wait. Another option that I have considered recently is my local VW dealer. They will price match or give me the "former employee discount" (used to do parts delivery for them in addition to buying 8 cars there), source tires from local distributor (fresh tires with very recent date codes) and use the latest installation and balance machines. All the techs are long term and do excellent work as well. Plus, my car rolls right over to the Hunter Hawkeye for laser alignment afterwards.

Will wait and see what the acquisition brings and what I'll do with TR in the future.

Back