Tired of people that refuse to prepare ....

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
I'm talking rich people - people that can afford to prepare and just dont?

I'm getting bail out fatigue.
I'm all for helping poeple but after some number of rescues its time to man up and take care of your own.

"Well my power is out for the next three days" can you loan me a generator?
But you have a generator right? - yeah but it wont start and I only have 5 gallons of gas anyway and that will only last 8 hours -
Did you get the transfer switch put in? No i canceled the guy I didnt want to spend the 500.00...
Didnt you drain the carb like we talked about? No I forgot.
"I sold my snowblower last year" ..
I cant get more fuel I cant get out of my own driveway because I dont have a 4x4/ and or snow tires even though this has happened every year for the last 4 years.

On a different note - prep or buy a grounding plug just in case if you have an inverter generator and test your setup before you depend on it.

IMG_1640.jpeg

Last edited:
Some people just gonna get over... What's a poor boy to do?
One neighbor asked to borrow my "mollies". Huh? He needed allen wrenches; I lent him a SnapOn set. Came back all wongo and dusty, like drywall dust. No thank you and no respect for the tools. No more tools for him. The other neighbors are really great. But I am the only wrench on my street.

Now bringing back the GS with rim rash... Sheesh!

One neighbor asked to borrow my "mollies". Huh? He needed allen wrenches; I lent him a SnapOn set. Came back all wongo and dusty, like drywall dust. No thank you and no respect for the tools. No more tools for him. The other neighbors are really great. But I am the only wrench on my street.

People sux! The lack of basic respect is mind blowing to me.

Probably considered rich by most standards which in my mind means I have no excuses to not be prepared:

Generator with transfer switch - Check
Gas - Check
Snowblower - Check
4x4 with good tires - Check
Snow tires on the one FWD car - Check
I've had some issues with carbs getting gummed up in spite of using a fuel stabilizer but I fixed that problem myself before those engines were needed.

Now I know the type of people you're talking about and it's not that they don't care outright, they just have better things to do until they need help. So don't enable them and don't help them. Some people have to learn the hard way.

Probably considered rich by most standards which in my mind means I have no excuses to not be prepared:

Generator with transfer switch - Check
Gas - Check
Snowblower - Check
4x4 with good tires - Check
Snow tires on the one FWD car - Check
I've had some issues with carbs getting gummed up in spite of using a fuel stabilizer but I fixed that problem myself before those engines were needed.

Now I know the type of people you're talking about and it's not that they don't care outright, they just have better things to do until they need help. So don't enable them and don't help them. Some people have to learn the hard way.
I’m pretty extreme at all that but it does get expensive … it also turns into helping others from time to time - but that’s all good …

I'm talking rich people - people that can afford to prepare and just dont?

I'm getting bail out fatigue.
I'm all for helping poeple but after some number of rescues its time to man up and take care of your own.

"Well my power is out for the next three days" can you loan me a generator?
But you have a generator right? - yeah but it wont start and I only have 5 gallons of gas anyway and that will only last 8 hours -
Did you get the transfer switch put in? No i canceled the guy I didnt want to spend the 500.00...
Didnt you drain the carb like we talked about? No I forgot.
"I sold my snowblower last year" ..
I cant get more fuel I cant get out of my own driveway because I dont have a 4x4/ and or snow tires even though this has happened every year for the last 4 years.

On a different note - prep or buy a grounding plug just in case if you have an inverter generator and test your setup before you depend on it.

View attachment 143430
Keep doing it - it’s going on your final Resume 😷

I have spent the last several decades slowly fading away from silly neighbors, friends, colleagues, and equivalent foolish family.

So many have the same issues that I have become officially done with them and don't offer help at all.

Like some many new threads here, you can give as much advice and help as possible, but most of the time it falls on deaf ears, or in case of a forum, blind eyes.

Many here can't keep their cars, their generators/lawnmowers/weedwackers/toys/boats/rvs/atvs/firearms... running at all. Every single one has the same issues every single time... stale fuel, no maintenance, cheap fuel, no fuel stabilizer, no engine oil, minimal intervals, no brake fluid, no antifreeze, no premix, no cleaning/lubing... NOTHING.

I don't suffer from bail out fatigue. I only help those that I haven't already and they are few and far between now. They will either learn quickly or adjust to their suffering.

If you moved to tornado alley, blizzardville, floodzone, or Category5city, you best be prepared. If you have seasons, ditto.

I'd wager that I am the only one with common sense in a 5 mile radius. Just drive by the supermarket or walmart, after any issue, and watch your neighbors panic in line.

“You have a truck, right? Can I borrow it”?

Just got this request from a multi millionaire extended family member. I told him my truck was broken.

Last time he asked me to move furniture for him, I used my truck, 4 hours of my time, my gas, my furniture dolly, carried it up two flights of stairs, and after I was all done he couldn’t even offer to pay for my gas. Didn’t even throw me $20. Just an insincere thanks and good bye. And to make it even worse, he was drunk and crashed into my car , scratching it. Never said anything. Never offered to pay for damages.

Last time I ever use my truck to help him out.

There is VERY few people I will help out nowadays. It’s my parents, my in laws, and just a very few friends. Everyone else gets a “I’m busy sorry”

I'll bring up something many people with a generator that have a gas or propane furnace haven't thought of. If you have no transfer switch, have your furnace set up with a plug so if the power goes out, you can run an extension cord to it from the generator.

My first house, which my younger sister lives in is set up like that. I'll get a pic from her and post it later.

Boy, you certainly struck a nerve with this topic. I’m the guy on the street that usually has the right tool. Sadly, I’ve been burned 99% by neighbors that simply have no concept of ‘borrowing’ as they rarely return my things’. I hate it when I have to go fetch them. 😡

Last edited:
It's called enabling Uncle Dave. It's all on you. I suspect you are maybe close to my age. At this point it's about getting enjoyment out of being grumpy. 😉

It is all on me. It's become enablement for some for sure. This is whats grating. It's not lost on me my good nature is being abused.

I've watched a lot of older people living alone up here in the mountains prepare pretty well and seen others flounder.

I'll bring up something many people with a generator that have a gas or propane furnace haven't thought of. If you have no transfer switch, have your furnace set up with a plug so if the power goes out, you can run an extension cord to it from the generator.

My first house, which my younger sister lives in is set up like that. I'll get a pic from her and post it later.
This is incredibly easy to do, and VERY inexpensive.

A lot of people have no concept of cost, quality, time, effort, or mechanical feeling. They want to borrow your generator because all generators are the same to them. After they borrow your $2500 Honda generator they somehow manage to damage the plugs so nothing fits tight and now it smokes and it’s low on oil which they claim “it was like that when you gave it to me”.

Thats exactly whats happening in the pict I posted.

Running this furnace required the use of a grounding plug, also called a bonding plug.

Not only did I have to get the guys furnace running so his family wouldnt freeze to death, I had to figure out why the geneses wouldnt start and run the furnace and create a solution for it which is the home made plug occupying one of the three open sockets on the extender.

I got this pict from the temperature in their house.

IMG_1622.jpeg

This could be extended to home selection - you name it … Could not give me an all electric home where I live - but folks pay a pile of money for them …

This particular guy had a nat gas heater, but couldn't run the blower.

Back